Gold Picking

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two days ago Et1955 took Ecoplex and myself out to hunt the yellow stuff. We went to a spot that was very inaccessible but amazingly beautiful.
The whole canyon was filled with small water falls and every tree was covered with long hanging moss. Add a little fog and it made for a very serene and peaceful place. We had to switchback a little on the trail to get down. I call it a trail, but if Ed hadn't shown me.... I would probably still be out there looking. Good thing we brought machetes to clear the way a little.
We only brought a shovel and a pan. We dug and panned. Every single pan had some good gold. Ed gave us a history and geology lesson on how and why the gold was there. I was trying to soak in all info like a sponge. I wanted to act like a kid and sample every nook and cranny, but I saved that for next time.
After a few hours pannig around, we decided to leave. On the way out Ed wanted to quickly show us another spot that is good. While walking he points at a mushroom and asks if I am going to pick it. I have little to no knowledge of mushrooms so I was a little hesitant. He happily grabs it. Seconds later we see another one and he tells us that is not the good kind. Looks almost identical. As we keep hiking we come to a hillside clearing where these little golden umbrellas are all over the place.
I stole this photo from Ecoplex . FB_IMG_1445349660592.jpg
That is an awesome pan. I got home. My wife fried them up with some butter and made angelhair pasta with a white sauce. The most delicious meal I have had in a while.

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
MMMMMM.... Chanterelle mushrooms.
I used to pick a lot of those as well as 8 other wild shrooms and sell them.
Now everything is so damn regulated ya can't even go pick wild mushrooms without some damn permit.

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Patience Owen, the gold will come, it will take a little time for them to learn this river, they did find gold in every pan.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice nuggets! No two alike!

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find and they are gold.
I have some great Chantelle spots in the SF bay area.
As a treasure hunter I have a great time hunting for these as it fills the gap when I can't be in a spot with real gold.
You have to know what your doing and remember when in doubt throw it out. Should be a banner year for them if we get the rain on the west coast we are promised with el nino.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are a couple pics of where we were, first is looking up river where you were panning and the second is Chapman Falls. Ed DSC00027.JPG DSC00290.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions