The Horn Spoon

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As told to me by oroblanco on this forum.
The horn is cut in half length wise.
Then you use it like a regular pan.But with very little water.
The plastic wont work that I know of because it is to smooth.
The grain of the horn made small gold stick to it.
Do a search and I will to and see if I can find the thread on it.
If not, I will pm oro and ask then to send you the info they sent me.
Or ask if I can share the pm with you,If I still have it.
Im sure I should.
I was even looking at ebay for some nice specimens.
Good prices on horns.

Here is a youtube video on how to use one.
You could cut it down smaller, so it is more flat since you are using only the bottom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had the hardest time getting any info on this subject...Thanks a bunch!
Rob

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your welcome.
What I am planning on doing is cut a horn into 1/3rds, or quarters so it is flatter.
After using a finger to swish or mix it up,you pull out all the big stuff with out dumping the water, and keep working the water and black sands.
You are only looking for the minus 50 to 150 stuff.
Just checking for fines in order to see if the area is even worth working.
When I do mine, I will post a video to my youtube channel, and send you a link and pics if you want.

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Vids, pics and techniques, I really appreciate your time roadrunner. I would like to make this part of my sampling process.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am looking at ebay right now.
Will buy one,and then take it out in the desert to try a few techniques, and with no or very little water.
Since I live by it.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have a couple examples at the Placerville history museum. It's literally just a cow/ox horn cut in half lengthwise. There is nothing special about it and there is a reason everyone moved on to gold pans..They weren't just for sampling. Some ground was so rich that you didn't feel inefficient using a dang cow horn ....lucky B@$t*******s

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of my prospecting is now in the desert where every drop of water counts(especially when I have to haul it in) Sampling with the horn spoon is supposed to be an effective means to determine values with little water. Right now I sample with the MD20 then my smallest pan which still uses plenty of water. Just looking to save more water out in the dry and dusty diggs.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well a pan is better than a horn honestly...if you want to stick to a small pan so be it.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are a couple videos on youtube how to dry pan.
One of them by the well known panning guy.
hahaha,who I forget. Roy Lagel maybe?

MD20,why use anything but thatLOL.
Been looking at getting one.My Gm vsat finds gold as small as a 1/3rd grain of rice already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My sampling process for desert prospecting:
1. Geology and surface indicators
2. Take samples and dry pan
3. Run MD20 through dry pan cons
4. Wet pan cons looking for any fine color back at Jeep or camp
** I usually prospect out of a day pack miles from any panning tub and would like to have the ability to get a wet sample in the field with a small slug of canteen water. I thought perhaps the horn spoon might be worth trying. I've learned the hard way that through sampling is key BEFORE moving lots of dirt.

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is what Oroblanco told me.
Still looking for his pictures.
I have permission.

Sure Matt - you put no more than a HALF spoon of dirt in the spoon, with enough water to cover it; having removed all the larger rocks before. Mix it with a finger or small stick, and then shake it (lightly!) from side to side for a bit. Then dip the spoon in a bowl or larger spoon of water, and tipping it up toward you as if you are trying to slide the contents off away from you, pull it up out of the water. Repeat the process as each time you dip and remove the spoon, some lighter dirt should be washing over the edge, leaving the black sand and gold (hopefully there is gold in it anyway). It is the same process as gold panning but you are only using one hand to pan, the other has a bowl or larger spoon or can etc with more water so as to remove the lighter stuff. Once you try it, you will be surprised at how well it works!

To cut the horn lengthwise, do it so that the curve is down, the point and base up; the upper half then is not used (there are other uses for cut horn) just the lower curved part, which is like a shallow elongated bowl. You can then use it as a mini gold pan. Horn may look shiny but is a very fibrous material so the tiniest gold particles tend to stick to it, making it easier for you to spot it. I would recommend getting a black horn if possible as the gold stands out better than on a light colored or grey horn. "Horning" for gold is a very old, old timers trick, dates to before the Roman times.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is what Oroblanco told me.
Still looking for his pictures.
I have permission.

Sure Matt - you put no more than a HALF spoon of dirt in the spoon, with enough water to cover it; having removed all the larger rocks before. Mix it with a finger or small stick, and then shake it (lightly!) from side to side for a bit. Then dip the spoon in a bowl or larger spoon of water, and tipping it up toward you as if you are trying to slide the contents off away from you, pull it up out of the water. Repeat the process as each time you dip and remove the spoon, some lighter dirt should be washing over the edge, leaving the black sand and gold (hopefully there is gold in it anyway). It is the same process as gold panning but you are only using one hand to pan, the other has a bowl or larger spoon or can etc with more water so as to remove the lighter stuff. Once you try it, you will be surprised at how well it works!

To cut the horn lengthwise, do it so that the curve is down, the point and base up; the upper half then is not used (there are other uses for cut horn) just the lower curved part, which is like a shallow elongated bowl. You can then use it as a mini gold pan. Horn may look shiny but is a very fibrous material so the tiniest gold particles tend to stick to it, making it easier for you to spot it. I would recommend getting a black horn if possible as the gold stands out better than on a light colored or grey horn. "Horning" for gold is a very old, old timers trick, dates to before the Roman times.

That's because they did not have the modern materials we have today as well as the sampling and finishing pans that are available today...... :laughing7:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is oroblanco's spoon set.
I have permission from him to post this pic.
As you can see they are cut and shaped for exactly the purpose this person wanted them to be.
All you would need is a strong metal large spoon or very small shovel, a canteen of water, and this set.
A person could walk all day in the desert,and not run out of water, and wet pan his fines.
No weight either.

horn spoon.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions