Where to find it with the USGSs help.........

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Where to find it with the USGS's help.........

Well since my knees are acting up today I thought I would do a little fireside prospecting.
Here is a little tool from the USGS that will help you do some preliminary research..... Some of you may already be aware of this and a lot of you may not. So here ya go.

Now the USGS has a TON of info.... and unless you are really familiar with whats going on it is a monumental task to find anything relevant to you and your quest.

So here's a what I'ma gonna do............... I am going to give you some short cuts that I hope you will find useful.

Here is the link to the page you will be using.... Search the Mineral Resources Data System

And to help make this a little easier here is a couple screen shots of what you will be doing........
So. You see a picture really is worth a thousand words.
Have fun with your new toy.

I forgot to put it in but I use Google earth for the download format choice.

USGS.png

USGS2.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a little addendum that shows you how to get additional info.....

In the column titled Deposit ID if you click on the number it will give you this A Bar/Gold Pan Placer Mine (MRDS #10176629) AU
This is....... A Bar/Gold Pan Placer Mine Info.
The first entry on the list above.

:laughing7:Have fun....

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good description of the process johndoe! :thumbsup:

I got tired of filling out all the forms and stuff so I made some maps to make it easier. You can go to the Land Matters Mines Maps and get all that information and more just by clicking on the map. No more forms!

I've even provided maps already broken down by what type of mineral you are looking for - like gold mines. That should save you a bunch of time. 8-)

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good description of the process johndoe! :thumbsup:

I got tired of filling out all the forms and stuff so I made some maps to make it easier. You can go to the Land Matters Mines Maps and get all that information and more just by clicking on the map. No more forms!

I've even provided maps already broken down by what type of mineral you are looking for - like gold mines. That should save you a bunch of time. 8-)

Heavy Pans

I have found my landmatters a bit less than user friendly.
The examples I gave above only require a few mouse clicks and I have found the data to be more complete.
Anyway gotta use what works for ya..... Thats the important thing.....:thumbsup:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry you had trouble with Land Matters.

We did a big server overhaul and upgrade just a little over a week ago but we still don't support most phones or non IOS tablets. A slow internet connection is going to cause you problems on some of the maps too.

We'd like to accommodate everyone but we don't have any plans to add Android or phone support anytime soon. Less than 4% of online research is done on those devices and with our limited budget we have to save our resources for the majority of our users. The slow connection thing we can't do anything about. Hopefully one day phones and phone operating systems will have a more internet technology capable interface.

In your circumstance the USGS site is probably your best option. The information is the same no matter where it's served from and you obviously have a system that works for you. As you say you gotta use what works for you. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry you had trouble with Land Matters.

We did a big server overhaul and upgrade just a little over a week ago but we still don't support most phones or non IOS tablets. A slow internet connection is going to cause you problems on some of the maps too.

We'd like to accommodate everyone but we don't have any plans to add Android or phone support anytime soon. Less than 4% of online research is done on those devices and with our limited budget we have to save our resources for the majority of our users. The slow connection thing we can't do anything about. Hopefully one day phones and phone operating systems will have a more internet technology capable interface.

In your circumstance the USGS site is probably your best option. The information is the same no matter where it's served from and you obviously have a system that works for you. As you say you gotta use what works for you. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Well none of the reasons you describe apply to me .... I don't use android or any phone to access the info..... Connection speed is definitely not my problem my download speeds are in the 60 meg range and upload speeds are in the 4 range.

Thank's anyway....
Heavy pans to you.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well none of the reasons you describe apply to me .... I don't use android or any phone to access the info..... Connection speed is definitely not my problem my download speeds are in the 60 meg range and upload speeds are in the 4 range.

Thank's anyway....
Heavy pans to you.

OIC

You must be on one of the FIOS lines in Portland. Those are great speeds. My test speeds are 350K and 54K. My map loads on the 56K are around 14 seconds for a full screen(1900 x 1600) aerial map and 6 seconds on a 700px map. The 350K tests are all less than 6 seconds.

Since you have high internet connection speeds and an actual computer, short of pointing you to the obvious instructions on the page and the HELP button on every map, I probably can't help you. Some folks just enjoy a simpler user interface. Speed and usability really are as much about the user as anything else.

Good Luck on your research. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OIC

You must be on one of the FIOS lines in Portland. Those are great speeds. My test speeds are 350K and 54K. My map loads on the 56K are around 14 seconds for a full screen(1900 x 1600) aerial map and 6 seconds on a 700px map. The 350K tests are all less than 6 seconds.

Since you have high internet connection speeds and an actual computer, short of pointing you to the obvious instructions on the page and the HELP button on every map, I probably can't help you. Some folks just enjoy a simpler user interface. Speed and usability really are as much about the user as anything else.

Good Luck on your research. :thumbsup:

Thank you...
Actually I use charter internet access, it has been working out real well and it is pretty fast..... prices aren't bad either.
And I'm on the central Oregon coast.

As far as mining goes I pretty much stick to the beaches these days... they are close, and my knees do not like uneven ground anymore.
But I still mess around with electronic prospecting and thought I would post some simple instructions for the USGS site.
A lot of additional info is readily available from the access I showed how to get ... of course if anybody has additional questions I am happy to help if I can.... I don't know all of it but there is more that is easily available.

Take it easy. and Heavy pans to ya....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this years ago. They have come a long way since then!

DSCN9497.JPG

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The only problem with all of this is......
You can still stake a claim.... You just can't mine it........:BangHead: they are locking up everything with BS rules and regs....

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The USGS is the place to go for info! We have used the page in the original post to find old gold mine locations that were hardly mined. Many also contain tailing piles loaded with gold.

It couldn't be easier to use and is always fast.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lets take this a couple more steps into your research discovery....

Remember the DEPOSIT ID number and when you clicked on it you got this page..... A Bar/Gold Pan Placer Mine (MRDS #10176629) AU

Well lets expand the search a bit from there. Here's how you get to an interactive map, in case you don't want to bother with google earth..... click on the images for additional instructions.

So.... There ya go easy access to tons of info.......:thumbsup:

View attachment 1227309

View attachment 1227310

View attachment 1227311

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread