Processing Black Sands

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard that prospector's "would be surprised, & never discard black sands again if they knew how much gold is in it"...Well, with my 2nd season coming to a close I think I have stock piled enough to think about processing it.

I have about 2 gallons of black sands and am wondering, what's the most efficient way to process it? I've heard about the crushing method & the heat & freeze method...but what is the best way? Are there other ways??

My plan is to document this process from beginning to end on this thread once I have determined which processing method will work best for me..who knows :dontknow: someone else may benefit from seeing my trial and error with black sands. Plus it will keep me busy while I'm patiently waiting for spring:unhappysmiley:

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
We can hope.......
I know if they were you wouldn't be volunteering that sand.... Like I said your a nice guy but I know your not that nice....:laughing7:. Fact is I know your down right ornery......:laughing7:
Have a happy Thank's Giving....:thumbsup:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know if they were you wouldn't be volunteering that sand.... Like I said your a nice guy but I know your not that nice....:laughing7:. Fact is I know your down right ornery......:laughing7:
Have a happy Thank's Giving....:thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving!
Me I'am not a fan of turkey...Ham, Prime rib yeh.
Hey everyone gets a 1/4 of a teaspoon...so....:laughing7:

Just kidding guys!!!

laughing11.gif

A friend of mine found a blue bowl at an estate sale, a few people I know have a list on what to look for at sales.
No pump but I'am just going to hook a garden hose to it..

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend of mine found a blue bowl at an estate sale, a few people I know have a list on what to look for at sales.
No pump but I'am just going to hook a garden hose to it..

You should be able to find a bilge pump down your way easily enough. You don't want any surges in flow.... It will upset the balance.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If you've got a WalMart or just about any marine supply shops you've got access to bilge pumps. If I want anything larger than an 1100 gph I've got to order it and WallyWorld has good prices and delivers to my door for free.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to find a bilge pump down your way easily enough. You don't want any surges in flow.... It will upset the balance.

If you've got a WalMart or just about any marine supply shops you've got access to bilge pumps. If I want anything larger than an 1100 gph I've got to order it and WallyWorld has good prices and delivers to my door for free.

Well the garden hose idea was because of the right now factor. Then I read the blue bowl can use 3 gallons per minute. I will be building a miller table also, so a recirculating system will be a necessity.:icon_thumright:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm looking into building up a miller table too OV. I'm thinking that design the AzViper came up with would do a great job as well as be what I consider to be an easy build with easy to source materials. The only thing I'd have to farm out would be the forming of the aluminum tray. I really like the mounted vial feature so you just have to sweep the gold into it instead of using a snuffer bottle to suck it up off the mat. I know that "The OTHER Jeff" really likes the one Az helped him to build.

Depending on what your local water company charges, a re-circ system can really be a huge money saver. Around here it's the only way I can run a sluice without breaking the bank or creating a muddy mess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread