Processing Black Sands

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard that prospector's "would be surprised, & never discard black sands again if they knew how much gold is in it"...Well, with my 2nd season coming to a close I think I have stock piled enough to think about processing it.

I have about 2 gallons of black sands and am wondering, what's the most efficient way to process it? I've heard about the crushing method & the heat & freeze method...but what is the best way? Are there other ways??

My plan is to document this process from beginning to end on this thread once I have determined which processing method will work best for me..who knows :dontknow: someone else may benefit from seeing my trial and error with black sands. Plus it will keep me busy while I'm patiently waiting for spring:unhappysmiley:

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The water cons ratio is 1 to 1.... But your on the right track.

I was wondering about that. Did I miss that in Clarkson's writings or did you find that guideline somewhere else...or just learn by experimentation?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here ya go...............
They did not not say specifically but my interpretation is by volume.

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 6.20.52 AM.png

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to the weight difference between the sands and the water, 1:1 by volume makes more sense. A cup of cons is going to weigh a LOT more than a cup of water.

I'll make up some sets of rods in different sizes later this week. Going to have to run into Kingman and hit home despot to get the rods to make them. I'm thinking that since the barrels I'm using are made of a rubber like material the I'll also grind the ends of the rods to a slightly rounded shape to keep them from dinging the inside of the barrels. I'll let you guys know how it works. If I can source some ceramic rods I'll try that as well May not weigh as much but they won't be adding ground up steel into the mix.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Adding some fine silicon carbide (tumbling media) as an abrasive may help to polish the skin off contaminated fine gold. I would try this without the additional weight of rods, etc.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The idea here is to CRUSH not clean so I don't think the tumbling media is going to be much help. Plus you'd have to pan the media out as well.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The idea here is to CRUSH not clean so I don't think the tumbling media is going to be much help. Plus you'd have to pan the media out as well.

No arguments about that. I should have been more explanatory as I know you are trying to reduce all but gold. This is what my post was in reference to. Your quote "It was dirty looking so I put it in a small vial with white vinegar in it for a couple of hours and then looked at it again. Much better looking now as the pictures below show." If added to the original raw mix it will add some additional non gold but may be easily reduced, as are black sands, when rods, etc. are added while, at the same time, doing some polishing.

Last edited:

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Are there any plans on how to make the rod mill? I have a small rock tumbler also and wonder if smaller rod will work in it.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there any plans on how to make the rod mill? I have a small rock tumbler also and wonder if smaller rod will work in it.

Did you read the thread, or just start from here?...

Look at post 3 and click on the PDF link.......

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Simple solution to fine gold recovery" is another good thread to read on this topic. Enjoy!

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Has anyone tried metal bbs in a rock tumbler to see if it would yield the same results. I might try this but I don't have a microscope to see if it works.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

If you've got a tumbler you don't need plans unless you're planning on doing up large batches at a time. As long as your barrels seal up you've pretty much got what ya need to make a small rod mill. Head to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a section of steel rod from the hardware section. Cut the rods 1/4" shorter than the distance from the bottom of the barrel to the lip that the seal rides on. Deburr the ends to remove any sharp ends and you're ready to rock n roll. I just hit HD today and got a 36" length of 1/2" and one of 1/4" for less than $10. Haven't cut them to length yet because I just got back from the claim and digging. I've got 50 gallons of materials to run and as soon as I get that done I'll get back to work on the mini mill.

Smaller rods may be a little to light to do the job quickly. I'd stick to one 1/4" or larger just for the weight.

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
If you've got a tumbler you don't need plans unless you're planning on doing up large batches at a time. As long as your barrels seal up you've pretty much got what ya need to make a small rod mill. Head to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a section of steel rod from the hardware section. Cut the rods 1/4" shorter than the distance from the bottom of the barrel to the lip that the seal rides on. Deburr the ends to remove any sharp ends and you're ready to rock n roll. I just hit HD today and got a 36" length of 1/2" and one of 1/4" for less than $10. Haven't cut them to length yet because I just got back from the claim and digging. I've got 50 gallons of materials to run and as soon as I get that done I'll get back to work on the mini mill.

Smaller rods may be a little to light to do the job quickly. I'd stick to one 1/4" or larger just for the weight.

Thanks. Ill get to it and let you guys know how it goes.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone tried metal bbs in a rock tumbler to see if it would yield the same results. I might try this but I don't have a microscope to see if it works.

Bearings will work but won't be as quick as a rod mill. The rods have more contact area to use for grinding ad the drum turns. Not saying that the bearings won't work but a rod mill is more effective.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread