Reeds Travels

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed's Travels

Today we will be detecting at Carpinteria State Beach in Southern California just outside of Santa Barbara and we will be here until Friday morning in space 126. It's past time for me to have started my own thread on our travels, so here it is :)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done on your videos! Many thanks for the break from winter by letting me watch some warm weather mining.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of being in Az, Karen's mom bought a house in Florence, Oregon, so we moved her up and stayed a few weeks ourselves in our trailer. Johnedoe just happens to live in the area and he took me out beach mining here for my first time ever with an actual beach box. He has the Plath set up that was talked about 10+ years ago and it was impressive. Back in the day Dave Plath got himself banned from the 49erMike site because he was worried about people taking his ideas, so we just banned him and erased everything that was ever written about his clean gold sluice that he was selling. So... I never gave him another thought until I saw his sluice for the first time last week. Its basically just a sheet of magnetic sign material glued on to some thin aluminum and he was crying about copyright issues... Lol. Now after seeing it work in person, I can see why he was worried... It would be way to simple even for a child to copy. I really liked the way that it used the strips of magnet to form fine gold, low flow riffles for the beach gold and it would make a good addition to anyones arsenol that actually beach mines all of the time. I have used larger magnets myself in my undercurrent boxes for years but they are designed for a lot more water flow then this little beach sluice.
Anyway :) johnedoe and I had a great time and we found gold right on the beach. We had a lot of fun. Now for the next couple of days, Karen and I are staying in Brookings at the Harris State Beach campground in space A25 if anyone wants to get together. We plan on taking some drives because its going to be raining the next few days, SO we will be exploring all of the little coves and beaches that we can find :)

Here's some pics of the Plath Clean Gold sluice in action at johnedoe's house when we were doing our clean up. I didn't shoot a video at the ocean because the wind was really high and you know how that sounds... Lol

Anyone wanting to stop in can either come by, or call us at 209_518_2650
I'm on the tablet and not sure why the pics are upside down, I've tried turning and straightening here and wil fix later at home. When you zoom them in, they straighten back out and it gives you a great view on how the magnetic material lines up across the sluice :evil6:
The top sluice is his prospector model and it has the black magnetic material in it, then the bottom sluice is his larger production model and has the blue magnetic material. You can see how the magnetite fastens itself to the plate to form the micro riffles that work great for the fine beach gold. Zoom in on the black box for the full effect with the rifles full of black sand, you can see how the riffles create themselves on the magnetic sheet. We scraped the blue box's matterial down just before the pic and it gives a better view of how it all works. The riffles are simply created by the magnetite.

20160305121421.jpg 20160305121429.jpg 20160305140250.jpg

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks fun! Love Brookings!

Last edited:

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm on the tablet and not sure why the pics are upside down, I've tried turning and straightening here and wil fix later at home. When you zoom them in, they straighten back out and it gives you a great view on how the magnetic material lines up across the sluice :evil6:

Hey Reed,

It's not your tablet, they are always rotated like that on my PC and always have been since I have been on treasurenet - it's kind of odd. Clicking on the image always fixes it like you said.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, we've been from coast to coast this year, retired and traveling :)
We pulled into the LDMA camp in Stanton, Az this afternoon and we are setting up for a week or more of fun and Gold Mining finally!!! I've been doing some detecting, sluicing and panning, but nothing serious. We did hit North Carolina this year and visited my old friend and claim partner Milty. It's been a great year and I thought that I should post being that we will be here for at least a week. If you guys have any suggestions or ideas, give me a shout :)
Reed

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good On Ya Reed, you and the Mrs's out traveling - visiting family, making sure your detectors and such are still working! Stay Well!!!! I'm getting over the combo Flu & its buddy Pneumonia and this year its no fun!.......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we struck gold today at the Stanton LDMA outting :)
received_10155717378295269.jpeg received_10155717370515269.jpeg received_10155717370410269.jpeg
Had a lot of fun, filled a ton of buckets, and made a ton of new friends :)
I do love gold mining! Especially in States that are pro-mining!

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we finished up today with the gold split and a bag of cons from the group outting. It sure was fun but these new fangled motorised drywashers sure are noisy :evil6:
received_10155723519490269.jpeg received_10155723392815269.jpeg received_10155725048690269.jpeg :camera:

Karen donated the pink zebra bra when Mike auctioned himself off to wear the pink outfit for the benefit of the Stanton LDMA Camp. He was taking suggestions as the bids got higher, then I yelled, "Make him wear a pink bra!" He looked at me with hatred in his eyes and said no way, that's crossing the line! Then he thought for a minute, probably thinking that nobody could come up with a pink bra anyway and said, "Well... for a hundred bucks, I'll do it for the camp." Then Karen gave him the choice of a leopard bra but everyone wanted him to wear pink for the day :evil6:
We all pooled our money, came up with over $100.00, and the Pink Zebra Bra went into his outfit :evil6:
We all had a great time and we all came out with Gold Filled Memories!!!
And I'm still laughing at the picture of Mike in his auctioned pink outfit for the day :laughing7:

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, we finished up today with the gold split and a bag of cons from the group outting. It sure was fun but these new fangled motorised drywashers sure are noisy :evil6:
View attachment 1532600 View attachment 1532601 View attachment 1532602 :camera:

Karen donated the pink zebra bra when Mike auctioned himself off to wear the pink outfit for the benefit of the Stanton LDMA Camp. He was taking suggestions as the bids got higher, then I yelled, "Make him wear a pink bra!" He looked at me with hatred in his eyes and said no way, that's crossing the line! Then he thought for a minute, probably thinking that nobody could come up with a pink bra anyway and said, "Well... for a hundred bucks, I'll do it for the camp." Then Karen gave him the choice of a leopard bra but everyone wanted him to wear pink for the day :evil6:
We all pooled our money, came up with over $100.00, and the Pink Zebra Bra went into his outfit :evil6:
We all had a great time and we all came out with Gold Filled Memories!!!
And I'm still laughing at the picture of Mike in his auctioned pink outfit for the day :laughing7:

Sounds like fun.

As far as drywashers and noise, my Whippet is quiet and I imagine other brands of puffers are too.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
You realize you have probably scared Mike emotionally for life now............:laughing7:

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like fun.

As far as drywashers and noise, my Whippet is quiet and I imagine other brands of puffers are too.

I agree, puffers are the way to go for peace and quiet in the field, and personally... the leaf blower style is just more weight to carry, then you need gas... No thanks. More bells and whistles= more weight...

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new Gold Hog MultiSluice works great! I used it for standard desert material today that I classified to 1/4" and then panned all of the tailings to see what came out. I was surprised to see that it caught basically everything down to microscopic -300 gold. I'm not thru with the first run by any means and I was testing the battery out also and the LiFePo4 Battery ran fine on its own for over an hour without the charger hooked up. Today, out comes the solar panel. I wired in standard plug in style quick connects on the pump and then 2 on the battery, so I can plug in both the charger and pump or the solar panel at the same time. I really want to see how long it will run with the Solar pannel because I'm going to be using it mostly in the desert for a couple hours at a time. I've got the 100watt Renogy Solar Suitcase and the Battery Tender LiFePo4 Battery only weighs less than 4lbs with the quick terminals.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9LPL5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
received_10155739444545269.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread