Reeds Travels

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've been gone for 2 months, out on the road in our little Casita Trailer and really enjoying our time out. We came down from Washington and traveled down the Oregon coastline until we had to make a dash home to take care of our monthly business and for Karen to see her doctor. Now we spent a week at Lake Casitas at a Casita Rally last week and we are on our way to Death Valley to see the devastation from the flood in person. But a friend told us that we should spend a few days right here, and we have a space right on the beach... And I do mean a space... Lol 25' x 25' or there abouts with wall to wall RVs and tents. It feels like a claim from the Goldrush days :evil6: I've seen a couple gold panners and a couple other detectorists here so far last night and today, I'll start detecting here myself :)

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 1 1/2' of snow in the hills , good time to play at the beach. Try to see Death Valley in the spring when a good winter as mile after mile of unbelieveable wild flowers, it looks like a planted wild park amazing sight compared to summer bleached bones-Drive safe-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Watch out for the tar balls on the beach Reed! Lots of cool history in that area as well as things to see. If you're into Orchids at all you're in the world capitol for them. All those greenhouses between Carp and S.B. are full of them. Safe travels!

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 1 1/2' of snow in the hills , good time to play at the beach. Try to see Death Valley in the spring when a good winter as mile after mile of unbelieveable wild flowers, it looks like a planted wild park amazing sight compared to summer bleached bones-Drive safe-John
This is why we are going now John :) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfpPBOOyo0
We really want to see Bad Water Lake before it dries up...

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We've been gone for 2 months, out on the road in our little Casita Trailer and really enjoying our time out. We came down from Washington and traveled down the Oregon coastline until we had to make a dash home to take care of our monthly business and for Karen to see her doctor. Now we spent a week at Lake Casitas at a Casita Rally last week and we are on our way to Death Valley to see the devastation from the flood in person. But a friend told us that we should spend a few days right here, and we have a space right on the beach... And I do mean a space... Lol 25' x 25' or there abouts with wall to wall RVs and tents. It feels like a claim from the Goldrush days :evil6: I've seen a couple gold panners and a couple other detectorists here so far last night and today, I'll start detecting here myself :)

25' × 25'. Reed that sounds more like a gold rush claim on bad ground. Thanks for starting your journal and sharing your travels. Good luck and stay safe.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Reed.....
Have some fun will ya?..... :laughing7:

Hope ya find something good on that beach.....:thumbsup:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations on the traveling lifestyle and "living the dream" Reed!, look forward to many more entry's in your journal!

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20151104_110416.jpg 20151104_130700.jpg

I got in some detecting today with the Tesoro Vaquero. It got really windy so I only spent maybe 20 minutes the first time out but man... it was great. Just found some clad and a wheatie but it sure put a smile on my face. This is our little house on the beach. The spot next to us has been empty, so we have a double space at least through tonight. The winds were around 30mph I'm guessing. We had blacktop next to us and now we have our own sand bar... lol. What a great day, Karen had the birds landing right on her lap and taking bread off of her hat. I had them flying to my hand to gently take the bread from me... we will get more pics, it's a great spot for a vacation.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! life of the rich and famous! Lifes good ! Enjoy it with your wife Reed! I wanted to do this also BUT things change!
Haha Russ, with my disability and a break from the Rangers, it's costing us $22.50 a night for 4 nights. With my disability passes for state and federal from that accident a couple years ago, it does really help on the costs. Usually in state parks it's $5 to $15 a night but we boondock a lot for free. With the federal pass, we get in to the National Parks for free and camping costs us half. So far we're paying the bills and breaking even, so life is good :) I definitely wanted to do this before we get to old and unable and all I can say is - Thank God for mining as this is my income.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80s my last X and I just missed a flash flood on 395 between Lone Pine and Baker and racing down the road like crazy to beat that boiling, frothing boulder soup sure raised the old blood pressure for sure. It's going to be a glorious spring in Death Valley for sure. Party on man-John:laughing7:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I REALLY want to do more beach detecting myself, I wish I were down there so that I could pay you a visit and do a couple hunts with you guys.

One thing about beach hunting, man your legs get tired so quick. LOL

My FORS Gold did very well in the dry and somewhat damp salty sand.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a White's V3i.... It is killer on the beach.
The multi freq. transitions from wet to dry without having to re-balance every-time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been awhile since I had a connection. We just got into Lake Havasu, Az tonight. Had a great trip on the coast in Carpinteria and at Emma Woods state beach, then we met some friends in Death Valley and were there a week. And now I do have some great camera footage to edit when I get home for Thanksgiving. I really do love the traveling lifestyle :)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those little Casitas look great. A couple people in my neighbor hood have them, and it's what prompted me to get out TT (although it's not a Casita). I passed by the manufacturer in Texas last month, and I wondered how much of a discount I get if I bought one direct, LOL

Safe travels, I look forward to reading more of your adventure!

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found and finished the 2015 Miners Bash video... :) I lost a pc in the middle and found an extra copy on Karens pc 7 months later but... better to be late then never :evil6:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread