Hitting a hopeful spot

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay guys I had posted up about using a Falcon MD20 and getting some strong hits. So, I am about 15 feet from our creek and I am digging on a slight hillside beside trees. I will post pictures.
Questions: upon digging I have hit quartz (of course, more than I care to see) also several black looking lava rock (solid tone going toward and not away) shale looking stuff that is a copper color, and a lot of cemented material.
So, at about a foot down I hit solid base. Pure yellow. My take granite or limestone decomposing?
All above this is just various soil colors and rock but the bottom is solid. After a couple swings I chipped some away but I am intrigued now.
70 percent of stuff I have taken out including soil hits a positive on the Falcon.
Would it be worth to bust this bottom up and possibly pan?
I am definitely confused because I am finding some crazy stuff for me. Example, one has weighed out to be 200 grams and it is not even baseball sized.
Hopefully the pictures you guys will take the time and look at (thank you) will help me.
I did find a nice picker in the creek with the falcon the other day. Then the gold fever set in :)

Attachments

• 20151105_124733.jpg
    20151105_124733.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • 20151105_132217.jpg
    20151105_132217.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • 20151105_132226.jpg
    20151105_132226.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20151105_132210.jpg
    20151105_132210.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 20151105_132239.jpg
    20151105_132239.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20151105_124813.jpg
    20151105_124813.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one pic shows the yellow bedrock which is huge and runs longer than I care to find out unless(?) Not very deep. Everything in the pan has solid positive tones from the Falcon. I know some will say crush and pan and I will with the little items. I just hate destroying things. I have that stuck in my head that "man if you didn't crush it the thing would be worth _ as a specimen but now it's worth 10.00

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am color blind so, to me, those are very ordinary looking rocks and without visible gold not likely to be of interest to collectors IMO. I am not familiar with the falcon but I think it is not just a gold detector but acts very similar to an ordinary metal detector which, without discrimination on, will sound off on many iron minerals and virtually all metals. A local rock shop may help you with ID and if collectible, value.

Good luck

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay guys I had posted up about using a Falcon MD20 and getting some strong hits. So, I am about 15 feet from our creek and I am digging on a slight hillside beside trees. I will post pictures.
Questions: upon digging I have hit quartz (of course, more than I care to see) also several black looking lava rock (solid tone going toward and not away) shale looking stuff that is a copper color, and a lot of cemented material.
So, at about a foot down I hit solid base. Pure yellow. My take granite or limestone decomposing?
All above this is just various soil colors and rock but the bottom is solid. After a couple swings I chipped some away but I am intrigued now.
70 percent of stuff I have taken out including soil hits a positive on the Falcon.
Would it be worth to bust this bottom up and possibly pan?
I am definitely confused because I am finding some crazy stuff for me. Example, one has weighed out to be 200 grams and it is not even baseball sized.
Hopefully the pictures you guys will take the time and look at (thank you) will help me.
I did find a nice picker in the creek with the falcon the other day. Then the gold fever set in :)

Are you getting metal or gold on the MD-20?

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That last picture looks like copper to me.

The piece that is over 200 grams and not quite the size of a baseball--it must be quite a bit over 200 grams and quite a bit less than the size of a baseball. Otherwise, your density is nothing special (though obviously it is because of the impression it made on you). Density is grams/cubic cm. A baseball is about 200 cc's, so in rough figures, the density is about 200/200 or 1 g/cc or 1 g/mL, which is what water is. If it were 10 times that, I would be real curious about it. If it were over 2 pounds and the size of a baseball, now we are talking!

OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it will give a tone for any metal as I have used it to close to some objects tool box, etc. The falcon will give a tone if it detects a metal as the probe moves towards an object but not away. In the case of black sand or a mineral it will tone off going away.
I know the pics are bad. Phone has taken to many falls.

OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My other question is: what test's can I do besides a sg test to determine the content? Any home or store bought stuff by any chance? I had read that hydrogen peroxide can be used as a quick way to check for platinum but I am not sure for the others. Thanks again guys. I would love to maybe get a close idea before I smash em and pan away.

OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got some gold. Now it is small and that is the only dislike I have about it. I know I can play around with the sensitivity etc but digging for a speck isn't my cup of tea. It seems the soil I collected gives off a solid tone going toward it and even on. Very solid. I just need to do some panning soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread