Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm 58 so I was around 8 when my Dad got this gift of gold in a split shot plastic container from his fishing buddy Tim in Warren Idaho. Tim was a die hard old school prospector whom I haven't seen since...well 30 years ago when he woke me with a kick to the shoulder and pointed a Colt 45 in my face demanding to know WTF I was doing on his claim?! Fortunately there was nothing wrong with his memory and he holstered it. I posted that story somewhere here before...

Anyway, I looked for and found a time capsule of sorts in my storage unit. This is the first item. Before I left FL to retire, I took it into a jewelry store to see how much they would give me but they said it was too "dirty" and weren't interested. So guess what? I know how to pan now and I have a Miller Table too so frick them! :headbang: There was even enough to teach Karen how to pan and she did good till she started seeing it get out of the pocket. (all kinds of sizes and not easy). I did test with a magnet and only about 5% was magnetic sand so I left it in. When it hit water for the first time after 50 years? It repelled it even with jet dry and eventualy there were tiny floating tar balls of black sand and when you poked them they burst open and were filled with fine gold. Cool!

Hope you enjoy.

50 year old Warren Idaho Gold Finally Recovered!

042.jpg

040.jpg

043.jpg

048.jpg

051.jpg

053.jpg

Going Treasure Hunting tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice haul Jeff!! Did you weigh it out? ...:occasion14:

Could you get Karen to take a pic of the gold?

Have her use the 300mm and stand back about 10 ft. Once I
crop it the gold will look much better. Cell phones just don't
do gold justice..:BangHead:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great story and great gold! I'll have to look for the full story sounds like a good one, It reminds me of some gold that my dad gave me when I started prospecting. He owns a auto body shop that specializes in old willys jeep trucks/wagons and had found a vial of some coarse gold when tearing out the headliner of one of the trucks he had bought. Wasn't much maybe only a gram but it sure is some coarse stuff.. He said that he purchased that one at a ranch in the hills near Jackson CA...

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm drying it out right now and will run it on the Miller Table next. The table is much better at recovery than me and then I'll get the weight then. I'll see if Karen will do the photos too and I'll see if I can reduce it enuf to post.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually I promised Karen a new gold wedding band so it all goes in the kitty. And hey...I'm recovering it!

Great idea...and she certainly deserves it after puttin' up with you for so many years, and
being kind enough to tolerate having the likes of me around for a week...:laughing7:

Seriously, that's an awesome use for your gold. Last I heard it takes 5-7 grams
to make a decent gold band, so with that nice haul you're probably not too
far off..:occasion14:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually I promised Karen a new gold wedding band so it all goes in the kitty. And hey...I'm recovering it!

But you didn't dig it out of the ground. Well ok... take half the weight then. And set out the three largest nuggets. One for a necklace and two for ear rings. She's going to want to "accessorize" the new ring. (and it make you look even better)

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice write up about the gold and your plans for Karen's ring Jeff. I'm planning the same thing for my wife. I found a really neat chunk of red, striated jasper over by Susanville this summer and am going to try to get the jeweler to make the band with a nugget setting from my gold, placing a piece of the jasper in the center.

Mike

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin has been there/done that. I think his weighed a bit more but not sure.

Yup! It took about 5 grams of gold as I recall and the goldsmith added a couple grams of alloy metals to get down to 14k so it would be durable. That was two years ago, the ring still looks great and she never takes it off :-D

You could make a band with a little less if you wanted it less wide than hers is - it's a bit wider than a normal woman's ring so as to have room for the engraving on the outer surface.

Also, you get about a gram back, the excess from the casting process. Finally, be sure to ask the goldsmith to give you the casting material so you can pulverize and pan it...sometimes an air bubble in the casting material will get filled with gold. Amazingly they don't check for that..."not enough to be worth it"...ha! My guy gave me a little container full of casting material from several projects and I got over 1/4 gram of 14k gold out of it! It was plaster of Paris type material so I dissolved it with vinegar and panned what remained.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh don't go there. :nono: You're just jealous cuz the Grass Hopper is pulling gold out of thin air. I make it look so easy...Sorry!

He's pulling it out of something don't know about air! LOL!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I'm not married-thankfully-I put the gold in for my crowns and had them fabbed from my own found gold and not 12k as usual but 16k for more color but still hard enough to last-John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I read one of your lines kinda quick and I almost fell out of my chair when I heard you were "recovering". Of course my mind jumped to a far fetched notion that your were recovering from Gold Fever. Glad to know it was a mental drop out on my part. Seems to me like you are having a lot of fun, keep it up!...............63bkpkr

163_6363.JPG what I ride in and out of gold country, 1992 Bronc

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice score Jeff!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a teaser on my treasure hunt. We got off to a late start today but I wanted to share that my first rushed research to boots on the ground trip today was absolutely 100% successful. (Thanks to Clay and Land Matters AND my CA DVD.) It was literally like finding the X on the spot. I originally went into the area looking for nails from a 100 year old sluice with my MD but eventually found my way to THE old/abandoned placer mine. Problem is (as always) it ALL looks so good. Tailing piles, tons of gravel already classified from a 100 years ago. Abandoned equipment. Yum!

Rains return tomorrow and I will have plenty of time to think about it. I got a gallon or so of unclassified dirt at the base of an 8" pipe. It was a diversion from a creek and fed either a sluice head or water cannon connection. Very cool! I'll do a separate thread later. Sore. Tired. Happy. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain, we don't care about no stinking rain! That's why we have rain coats! LOL! And you're supposed to be sore that means you worked hard enough for the gold. Remember no pain no GOLD!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread