Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last week I started to work on my plans for 2016. It's a good idea to keep an eye on the weather this time of year and I saw a window of opportunity. Last Friday afternoon to be exact. So I had to act quickly and put some kind of plan together. I used my CA DVD from Land Matters and went to work.

All in all, a lot of disappointing reports overall for Del Norte county and showed no surprises as my experience is the area...well she doesn't give it up easily. Course no one brags about hitting it big either...but I digress.

I set out with the intention of finding the sluice that existed one hundred years ago based on nails and clues. One of the first things I found was an 8" water pipe. There was a very thick coating of moss on the rocks underneath and I imagined a pocket of gold perhaps due to the sluice was being fed there. That or the monitor was hooked up there. Just to be certain to have some dirt, I grabbed a little over a gallon of unclassified material.

I finally found some of the landmarks I was looking for and found Karen to report. We both went down a Jeep trail...me walking and her driving until I got her into a boxed canyon. Opps. I didn't remember a boulder which prevented any chance of turning around. So we continued on foot and Karen was aways ahead of me because I kept stopping to check targets with the MD. We were going down a rock wash with tailing piles starting to appear. Soon I could hear the excitement in her voice as I got closer..so technically she saw it first. The 100 yo placer mine main camp. Scattered round like toys were left behind pieces of equipment. A classifier (?) the size of a monster truck. Mounds of classified rock of different sizes with trees growing out of it all. The area was also surprisingly free of trash with good targets of iron. Soon to follow were the hand cut pillars that supported the sluices and benches left behind from the monitors. I was in heaven! :love10:

Leaving? Another story. Awful...there's a word. I did my best to back Karen up this one lane or less twisty road backwards. I was backing her up like a funny car and she goes "what does that mean???" waving her arms over her head. I reply "I lean my arms into the direction I want you to go." This did not work well to begin with and epic fail was soon to follow. Things started to happen pretty quickly after that. Suffice to say don't have a claustrophobic driver on an angle and backing up on a mountain road. The next thing I know here she comes like a bull moose charging out of the alders...maybe even caught some air but I wasn't looking after I heard the RPM's come up. She says parking at the top is required now and I agree! :icon_thumleft:

Sunrise 7 & sunset 5 means dark after 4 in the mountains so we started to head back. Now that I know the lay of it all, I suspect my sample was from the connection at the monitor and nothing else. Something that was unique was every single rock I extracted had been broken apart by pick. All had sharp edges. Never seen that before.

So I classified what I got and didn't find anything remarkable with a quick panning. The rains started up just now but we hope to return next week. I finally did find my round headed nail...in the classifier. And a piece of quartz that wasn't. Some lead and small pieces too.

001.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

009.jpg 010.jpg 014.jpg
Paydirt looked and acted like a cow pie @ 12 mesh

016.jpg 017.jpg

found this one piece in the pan that wouldn't move. I was able to cut it with a knife and will post later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got 2 samples while at area1. Both were taken after two or three pans of nada at what appears to be the end of the mine. Each were unclassified and 1 gallon. After classifying to 12, some quick cherry picking out of the bucket and panning...first one zero gold with minimal black sand. Second (and from a more promising hole) produced more black sand and some fine fines. It all went into the miller table batch to be finished up by the end of the year. John still has almost 5 gallons unclassified to work that was from an area that had obviously been "a place of interest" and that was where he found his best during sampling. We were on different missions at the time...since he was more focused on sampling...hoping for better results.:thumbsup:

Next visit I'll be working the "Slopes of Monitor Mountain".

hydro 2.jpg hydro 3.jpg

BTW. Any suggestions on sampling tailing piles, please speak up. I've got 1000 feet that's 4 to 5 foot high and about as wide and runs right up to the classifier. Just attack some random pile with a pick and pan is KISS. I thought about my post hole digger for core samples (and a pick again) BUT it will only reach 30 inches down or so. It's 50-60 inches to bedrock.

Ya know...I was staring at the second pic (neither are mine of course) and it suddenly dawned on me where to look and what to do...at least one plan anyway would be to focus/work the ground where the sluice was and work towards the pile. 8-)

another thought...find the steepest terrain along the tailings and look for a spot that would be hard on a sluice and maybe make it prone to failures.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There ya go again..... Thinking outside the box! Keep going like that and soon it's going to become habit. As I've told you before, If you're working in an area that has been hit before you have to use some original thinking as well as some old school. The gear we've got today is much more efficient than the old timers had to work with so going through the tailings just might be a good idea. It would help if you could give some more info on the make up of the tailings. Are we talking sandy, 1-2 inch, or head size rocks here? First thing to do is go over them with the detector of course.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep good notes on your sampling. Over time memory fades. Also, over time you may learn something when you plot your sample results on a map.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin. My map is crude and will always be a work in progress. Right now it's not to scale but includes...

GPS cordinates on the Google map I printed out
The beginning and ending of the claim North to South
The ditch for the water for the monitor
The areas the monitor was used
Old classifier and continuous tailings pile
The locations of all sites sampled so far and the results as they become available.
The dwelling of the miner and his dump
Descriptions of rocks (size and/or mineralized)
Next step is to bring it into scale and and put it on graph paper.

For me, Gold fever hits me the hardest when boots go on the ground and instead of intelligent processing of small test spots, I turn into a kid in a candy store. My last spot (where Dizzy and I were) taught me just how important mapping was. My best sample was a dig and dash just before he got here and I didn't map it, couldn't find it or duplicate it again. Live and learn. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GPS will only get you so close Jeff. You need better location information than GPS if you want to return to an exact location.

When I am working on sampling an area a method I have developed is to carry a pack of cheap bamboo skewers. When you take a sample put a skewer standing up in the ground at that location. If you aren't processing your samples as you go "bag and tag" each sample and tag each skewer to match the sample.

Take a picture of the skewer locations at the end of your sampling session including as many of the skewers in each picture as you can. Leave the skewers in place if you can. Whether you can leave the skewers or not the pictures will help you find the exact location of each sample dig when you return.

Keeping good records when you are prospecting is the most effective way you can improve your take in any area. Eventually all those records build up to paint a picture of where the gold is depositing and where the most productive areas are.

What I described here is part of a very effective prospecting system I've been using for years. I hope to eventually have time to write up that system in detail. It really cuts down on the time and effort involved in defining the most productive areas to mine.

I hope that helps you find that gold patch Jeff. It's still out there! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2003 Nfar Herb & Justin 23.JPG The old Real Estate adage Location, Location, Location is Oh So True especially in prospecting. The 49ers put up a video about a recent strike on one of their claims. It was on the bank of the river, the member drove very close to where he settled on working and he started working where another person had started to dig but left it after going only so deep. So he had a hole to deepen and when he did he found an untouched location with some lovely nuggets. This is why I still carry my metal detector with me when I am locating new ground to work and I've found it useful to have even after I've located a spot. The combination of electronic prospecting combined with the tried common methods of sampling/inspecting are worthwhile, IMHO. Keep on having fun.....................63bkpkr

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the bamboo skewer idea. Much less obtrusive than those irrigation marking flags which if used in an unclaimed area is like saying "Dig here!". Most people wouldn't even notice the skewers but those flags stand out like a sore thumb. Maybe I'd use something a little less visible than the neon tags though. Another thing about the skewers is that they'll fit in a clip on belt pouch along with the tags so you can keep your hands free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or bungeed to the pack....yep. The neon is on purpose because I plan on photographing all for reference then removing. Leave no trace :thumbsup:

BTW...John's findings were zero gold.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When you go to photograph the area(s) make sure you've got something easy to recognize in the frame as a reference. Funny shaped rock (not including your head) a tree stc.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OMG Funny shaped rock=my head. Ha ha. I've placed templates next to shell casings so I think I can tell the difference between a flag, a rock and a hole. Jeez!

JK Jeff. But you know you need a Snickers...or a couple grams of gold. Just sayin. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if I didn't give you a hard time.... Someone else that isn't as nice about it would. I'm glad that we're good enough friends that we can joke around like that and neither of us takes offense.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you trying to imply that I would? lol! OK rock? I thought it was a mellon LOL! Just kidding Jeff you can give it back I can take I got my big boy pants on! LOL! I know there's one in every crowd

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah...when the sun starts going down prior to 5, cabin fever's not far behind and I've been known to get a little squirrely. Happens every year and it's still a surprise to me each time. :tongue3:

The last sunny day we had I classified all accumulated pay dirt (over the past month) and ran it thru a 20. Did it a little at a time and panned what didn't go thru. Found a few +20 which was nice and added them to the -20 batch for Miller Table processing (less than 1/2 gl total) Meanwhile it rains, shines, hails, gets darker, colder, repeat and we'll be able to see the snow on the mountains from here tomorrow for sure...

So in the mean time, research it is.

003.jpg 002.jpg

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dizzy, have you got out enough with that thing for a review yet? I'm in the market and am looking at that model

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the way to go Grasshopper. Research, research and then more research! Always remember that "fortune favors the prepared miner". In your case that's going to need to include finding and evaluating all the mineable/claimable ground within a driving distance that you're willing to accept, going through historical records that cover those areas and developing a "Hit List" based on your findings. Those areas that show the highest potential go to the top of the list and then take it form there when the weather improves. You're in a unique area because it's very easy for you to include SW Oregon as well as California so do so.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Jeff, OR is too close to ignore...and easier to claim as well I believe. Lots of roads run back and forth across the boarder and pretty remote. Our kind of place. :thumbsup:

When I said earlier about how hard and sharp the edges were on these rocks I've been finding, I wasn't kidding. Now I'm the new guy and all but that does NOT look natural...at least I've never run into it. But it does (I think?) show evidence of lode mine work. No? IDK but I'll keep it in mind as I go back in time.

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

kinda dark...maybe when the sun comes back :dontknow:

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of roads run back and forth across the boarder and pretty remote. Our kind of place. :thumbsup:

When I said earlier about how hard and sharp the edges were on these rocks I've been finding, I wasn't kidding.

Wow man.... You're making it sound like we're a couple of "Boot leggers" running shine in an old 32 Ford or something. As to the rocks... If you're not seeing any tool marks on them, then they have to either be natural breaks or parts of a face that was blasted. Given the high number of them in the area I'd have to say natural. Look at the rocks in the infamous "Slide area" as an example. Sharp edges on natural fractures are not at all uncommon. A lot of it has to do with the type of rock.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another thought... you should see the rocks on the hillsides around here. Most of them are sharp and you know that they couldn't have blasted the entire desert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread