Massive Tailings

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took a ride around Folsom today. Here is an example of the many tailings piles that were dredged from the American River 2015-11-09 12.41.29.jpg . Nice place to explore. You can also see hydraulic diggins along the North side of the river.

Upvote 0

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that stuff... I think some of those tailing are from the old Natoma Dredge that I believe is stuck in a self made lake near Beale Air Force base in lake Marigold... Think I remember she was moved up to the Yuba Gold Fields after she dug Lake Natoma near Folsom. Here she sits still today on private property. ND2.JPG

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An other impressive tailimg site is Sumpter Valley Oregon

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome shots CApicker!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Now that's a tailings pile.

Attachments

• 1447118573510.jpg
    1447118573510.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 325
OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
4 sure! I believe they dredged upwards of 10 miles to the south and east down here. Amazing machines no doubt, a boat the makes its own lakes!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Snelling Ca, There are miles of piles where the dredges worked the Merced River

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great gold on the UPS property as buds' been detecting breaks/lunches for many years and righteous nuggets for sure BUT private property with armed guards ...John

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They probably classified to 3/4" so keep your eyes peeled for golden potatoes!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fairplay Tailings.JPG We have some pretty good tailings around here in Colorado also. This is a bit southeast of Fairplay. The extreme NW corner is trailer/mobile home park. I have done a close-up below so you can see how large this is (and it is just a part of the dredge tailings).

Trailer Park Fairplay and Tailings.JPG

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a picture of the dredge from the 1940's. The dredge was forced to stop working in 1952. It was eventually moved to Alaska I think (from memory, which means it is not guaranteed). :)

Fairplay Dredge.JPG

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That dredge is currently running in Columbia from what some locals told me 3 years ago!

Sadly all those pretty rock piles are on private land so no-touch. :-(

Happily there's more piles just upstream on the other side of the highway that are owned by the town. $5/year permit from FairPlay town hall gives you full access (no gasoline engines there though).

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walmart in Folsom California and homes around it all on flattened out tailings piles. My dad told me that from Bradshaw road to Folsom used to be all tailings in the 40's and 50's his friends let hundreds of acres go back for taxes as it was useless ground! My grandfather worked on that dredge in the Yuba gold fields he came from Pennsylvania in 1906 a machinest he made bearings for them on the dredge. Until the 30's when he went to work for the City of Sacramento water treatment plant. I have seen that dredge in the Yuba gold fields it is a monster.Looks like it could be fired up and start dredging easily.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That dredge is currently running in Columbia from what some locals told me 3 years ago!

Happily there's more piles just upstream on the other side of the highway that are owned by the town. $5/year permit from FairPlay town hall gives you full access (no gasoline engines there though).

Yes, it used to be free at Fairplay and some of the dirt to make the original pool to float the dredge was not worked. With a sluice back then and a long day of digging, classifying and moving the dirt to the river to wash it, you could get about $50 gold/day. (Gold was about $300 an oz then). The other areas provided much less return. :)

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Forgot to mention, it is now $5 a week or $35 a year instead of $5 a year.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Walmart in Folsom California and homes around it all on flattened out tailings piles. My dad told me that from Bradshaw road to Folsom used to be all tailings in the 40's and 50's his friends let hundreds of acres go back for taxes as it was useless ground! My grandfather worked on that dredge in the Yuba gold fields he came from Pennsylvania in 1906 a machinest he made bearings for them on the dredge. Until the 30's when he went to work for the City of Sacramento water treatment plant. I have seen that dredge in the Yuba gold fields it is a monster.Looks like it could be fired up and start dredging easily.

I believe they missed dredging under Mather AFB as the land was taken over by the government in 1918.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread