two dredging cases dismissed

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surprised this isn't here yet. Two dredgers had their cases dismissed. AMRA helped them out the judge dismissed "in the interest of justice"

As most of you know by now, AMRA represents miners (when we have the funds) who are wrongfully cited by government agencies, are harassed by the same agencies and are being told they need permits to do one thing or another.
https://americanminingrights.com/how-about-some-good-news/
In 2014, two men were cited in CA for dredging without a permit. AMRA, at no cost to the miners, hired an attorney, formulated the defense and took the case to court.
We are pleased to announce today that this case was dismissed this afternoon!
Join us in celebrating this great victory.

it was Ron Decker and Jim Uruttia.
the state protested but, none the less the judge did the right thing. I don't have the citation location details for the original tickets...maybe someone will fill that in...not sure what county I forgot they were cited last year.

Upvote 0

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I believe it was Fresno County. My browser is outdated and I can't look up case information on Fresno County Superior Court. Search for thier case by thier name and click on the case number and you should see the docket results. In some cases there will be a good description of the judges decision and reason. Hopefully someone will post more later.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
It was in Fresno County, the state was in opposition to dismissal, and the judge said he didn't care whose case it was or their opposition, that, "In the interest of justice I am dismissing this case. I was out of town yesterday, but one of the particiapants was my current minning partner. It was a great day, and I wish I could have seen the frosting applied to the cake.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A judge that actually reasons. How did that happen? AMRA is moving to the top of my support list.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually I'd kind of liked to see the case have gotten to trial and the citing agencies get handed their heads by the courts. That would have sent a clear message to them to stop citing miners and confiscating their gear. So while this is a win for miners, it is in truth a shallow victory in my mind. The only true win will be when no miners have to worry about having things like this happen in the future.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
"Actually I'd kind of liked to see the case have gotten to trial and the citing agencies get handed their heads by the courts. That would have sent a clear message to them to stop citing miners and confiscating their gear. So while this is a win for miners, it is in truth a shallow victory in my mind. The only true win will be when no miners have to worry about having things like this happen in the future. "

With the escalating costs and importance of the Rhinehart case, I don't believe that was financilly possible

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
"Actually I'd kind of liked to see the case have gotten to trial and the citing agencies get handed their heads by the courts. That would have sent a clear message to them to stop citing miners and confiscating their gear. So while this is a win for miners, it is in truth a shallow victory in my mind. The only true win will be when no miners have to worry about having things like this happen in the future. "

Understood completely! BUT if im not mistaken ,and Clay can correct me if im wrong. was this dismissal with or without prejudice? if with prejudice?? if with prejudice "they can" come back and do it all over again! BUT without prejudice "they" cant ! SO a dismissal may be good or not! and im really happy that the case got dismissed for them and their familys welfare and piece of mind! I wonder if a counter suit to the person/agency that cited them would be in order to make them think about any other citations??

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Understood completely! BUT if im not mistaken ,and Clay can correct me if im wrong. was this dismissal with or without prejudice? if with prejudice?? if with prejudice "they can" come back and do it all over again! BUT without prejudice "they" cant ! SO a dismissal may be good or not! and im really happy that the case got dismissed for them and their familys welfare and piece of mind! I wonder if a counter suit to the person/agency that cited them would be in order to make them think about any other citations??
Or make D.A.'s in other counties...think twice about prosecuting..........and Leos's less likely to cite???????

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can these miners sue law enforcement for false conviction, confinscation or false imprisonment?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be happy if every future arreast and case gets tossed out of court. A string of those would set some sort of precedence.

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
Can these miners sue law enforcement for false conviction, confinscation or false imprisonment?

Having a case dismissed does not make for a law suit....As another judge who presided over the arraignment obvious found probable cause or it would not/ could not go forward..The other issue is the D.A. who legally cannot bring a case they do not think they could win...Pretty tough burden to overcome in a law suit...What I havnt read was the actual ruling as to why it was dismissed and if it was being appealed....

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Understood completely! BUT if im not mistaken ,and Clay can correct me if im wrong. was this dismissal with or without prejudice? if with prejudice?? if with prejudice "they can" come back and do it all over again! BUT without prejudice "they" cant ! SO a dismissal may be good or not! and im really happy that the case got dismissed for them and their family's welfare and piece of mind! I wonder if a counter suit to the person/agency that cited them would be in order to make them think about any other citations??

A VERY good and important point russ. I'd like that answer too...maybe someone with AMRA can find out.

It's basically a "get out of jail free" card to receive a dismissal w/o prejudice. As an LEO, I would always ask for "with" to burn em twice for failure to comply as that is how the system works. :thumbsup:

Counter suit IMHO is not likely as "undue hardship" (financial or otherwise) has to be proven/presented as beyond a reasonable doubt to get a judge on board...even tho civil rules should apply...(as compared to 51% of the proof.)

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"In the interest of Justice" means it would be unjust to pursue the case. Essentially it is the role of prosecuting attorneys, Judges, and all officers of the court to see that justice is done. Therefore, they can dismiss cases in the interest of justice if they see fit.

This dismissal only pertains to this single case - not the law involved. It's done in the common understanding that no matter what the law or regulation there can be no other result than dismissal that would serve the cause of justice.

It generally requires the consent of all parties to the case but usually the defense will make the motion requesting dismissal "In the interest of Justice". Sometimes the Judge will make the decision on his own if the case is in violation of the "speedy trial" laws. I suspect that is what happened here. The timer ran out.

There is no decision on the facts or the law in a case dismissed in the interest of Justice so no precedent is set. This was a win for the two defendants personally but doesn't affect other trials or court decisions.

When a case is dismissed "with prejudice" it can not be brought before a court again. The dismissal decision is final and dispositive and there are no "do overs".

When a case is dismissed "without prejudice" is can be prosecuted again. "Do overs" are allowed.

Heavy Pans

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
As an LEO, I would always ask for "with" to burn em twice for failure to comply as that is how the system works. :thumbsup:

Im confused..Why would a P.O. ask for any dismissal. especially "with"...??

I have only known a criminal case to be "Dismissed with Prejudice" is because Speedy Trial has run, so the Prosecution is barred constitutionally refiling the case, otherwise its a civil adjudication from the bench....

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
"In the interest of Justice" means it would be unjust to pursue the case. Essentially it is the role of prosecuting attorneys, Judges, and all officers of the court to see that justice is done. Therefore, they can dismiss cases in the interest of justice if they see fit.

This dismissal only pertains to this single case - not the law involved. It's done in the common understanding that no matter what the law or regulation there can be no other result than dismissal that would serve the cause of justice.

It generally requires the consent of all parties to the case but usually the defense will make the motion requesting dismissal "In the interest of Justice". Sometimes the Judge will make the decision on his own if the case is in violation of the "speedy trial" laws. I suspect that is what happened here. The timer ran out.

There is no decision on the facts or the law in a case dismissed in the interest of Justice so no precedent is set. This was a win for the two defendants personally but doesn't affect other trials or court decisions.

When a case is dismissed "with prejudice" it can not be brought before a court again. The dismissal decision is final and dispositive and there are no "do overs".

When a case is dismissed "without prejudice" is can be prosecuted again. "Do overs" are allowed.

Heavy Pans

:thumbsup:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I stand corrected Clay. "without". It always confused me so think how my defendants felt. IDK, since I don't have to remember, I try not to. :thumbsup:

BRC It is to gain voluntary compliance with the law (no admission but will comply with a warning...but if it happens again X2) And it speed things up...which every judge loves. If a violation continues after the first (given time to comply by the judge), a second and the first cite can be brought to the attention of the judge.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive seen also that some cases have been dismissed if the P.A. thinks they "might" lose their case and then a precident would be set for others to follow in their case. This was in Oregon about a dredger from Florida. several people on this site know him and he probly don't want his name posted.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The DA in this case wanted nothing to do with prosecuting this case, it was the state that insisted on the prosecution.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Fresno.pdf
    151.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions