Hunters overstaying camping limit

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm looking for input on the issue of hunters overstaying the 14 day camping limit in the same site I use for camping while mining my claims.
I haven't had to deal with this issue until now.
Currently, there is a hunting camp that has been occupying a campsite adjacent to (not on) my claims for at least 3 weeks now. They are supposedly hunting deer and elk. I have visited the camp several times over the past 3 weeks and basically see that it is being used as a semi-permanent recreation site for a local youth and his out-of-town buddies to come up and "hunt". I have noticed plastic bags and paper blowing about as well as exposed human waste. This is after I introduced myself to these hunters and told them that I am the claim owner and that I use this very camp and put in the fire pit they are using. I also politely asked that they not leave any trash and to very thoroughly bury any human waste as my dog will definitely try to dig it up. My suggestions seem to have gone unheeded. The main camp "host" told me he would be leaving about a week ago. He has not. I don't want to make enemies unnecessarily, so I continue to wait to see just how long these guys plan on camping in this same spot. I will likely be the one picking up their trash and burying their waste once they finally do decide the party is over.
I took pictures of the camp in case I decide to report it to fish and game or BLM. I would really prefer not to have to call either. That would only draw attention to the very place I don't want any.
What would you guys do?

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are in 20b rockbar. No elk hunts allowed there at all and deer season ended November 12.

Seems like it's time for the kiddies to go back to school. Maybe a call to the truant officer? :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Why call an officer and follow the law, I thought shooting at them from a distance was the way to get it done?? :icon_scratch:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why call an officer and follow the law, I thought shooting at them from a distance was the way to get it done?? :icon_scratch:

So the cops come and give them a citation what's in for you? And why call men with guns(cops)? They are not going to shoot them anyways. :dontknow: What they will do is ask you to make a statement and sign it. Then they will supeona you to testify in front of a judge when the culprits plead not guilty to their citations.

^No thanks, that's just not for me. But you do what you want to do, you know?

Just do not damage property and do not kill anyone.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the cops come and give them a citation what's in for you? And why call men with guns(cops)? They are not going to shoot them anyways. :dontknow: What they will do is ask you to make a statement and sign it. Then they will supeona you to testify in front of a judge when the culprits plead not guilty to their citations.

^No thanks, that's just not for me. But you do what you want to do, you know?

Just do not damage property and do not kill anyone.

What you describe is the law, no issue some don't agree with the law I get it, but others preach it. Sometimes these preachers don't realize the affect on their following and what their actions may influence good or bad. Being someone that spends quite a bit of time with boots on the ground in NF, I'd appreciate not getting shot at by some prospector over nothing, as I hope others would as well. Keep in mind even if there not hunting they still have the right to camp where they are most likely. They are probably only guilt of overstaying the 14 days. It's likely that they did possibly snoop around his dig there is no proof at this point. With all that said if you think these campers deserve to be shot at or worse for this "crime"? Well idk what to say to that. I will say I think it's a shame, take for example the camping family that was just killed in Texas a few days ago..One man's ideals are another's fate in some cases.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothing here is worth shooting someone over. Nothing.

OP
OP
R

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You got that right, Kevin. I had a friend do a drive by yesterday, so I hope to get a report on the latest. Good to know that the deer season is actually over.
No reason for that camp to still be there, then. A call to fish and game in regards to possible poaching hadn't come to my mind.
I don't think anyone is high-grading yet. It appears that one of them simply pulled the rock from the small test hole I just made. It's like they were curious to see why a hole would be filled with rock? I doubt they even know how to excavate and recover gold.
I'm betting they move along soon enough. Good discussion as I'm sure others have experienced or will experience this sort of thing.

Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call Fish & Wildlife to have the CO check them out. That might be all it takes to get them to move on.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other

I seem to remember one of the members here was having problems at his claim with people shooting towards him (or was it AT him?) while mining. This was back when I first joined up here on T-Net and I can't remember who it was. (Old Timers setting in) While I'm all for avoiding gun play if at all possible, if a situation comes up that you have to defend yourself, then by all means do so. I don't feel anything in this situation calls for dragging out the heavy artillery.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got Fish and Game. All the joy's of having proper English. The toilet paper with poison oak sounds the best. I'm sure they will leave but a little help never hurt any body!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't have a department for wildlife in Arizona. We kill and eat our wild critters here so we have a Game and Fish department. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Sure we have a Department of Wildlife here in Arizona Clay! Their offices are located in the dorms at Arizona State and U. of A.!!!! :headbang:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly don't advocate shooting people. But one of my pet peeves is people calling in cops to use force when persuasion will do. Every law in America is ultimately enforced at gunpoint- so do you really want call in the guns? It's really a question that one needs to ask onseself before they pick up the phone.

I must have been raving. Sorry.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just ask them what they're hunting? Bear and cougar seasons run till the end of the year most places. Who knows maybe you will strike up a conversation and find out all kinds of interesting things.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just ask them what they're hunting? Bear and cougar seasons run till the end of the year most places. Who knows maybe you will strike up a conversation and find out all kinds of interesting things.
Or maybe more than you want to know!

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you will know and not have to jump to conclusions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions