Are They Rocks Or Minerals?

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys I don't post much on TNET but I was asked a question by a friend that I couldn't answer and I figured you good folks could.
She got in a discussion with someone on Facebook who claimed to be a mining engineer about whether diamonds and gold nuggets are rocks or minerals. He asserts that they are rocks, she thinks that they are minerals not rocks. I am leaning toward her side of the argument but have to admit that I don't know for sure.
Here are a couple of links she used for her side of the argument:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-diamonds-rocks

He also suggested that she google the definition of a mineral and the results of that suggest that she is right.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mineral&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

So what are they, rocks or minerals or both?

Upvote 0

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Both gold and diamonds are minerals. Gold is also an element and diamond is a polymorph of the element carbon. They are not rocks.

Minerals have a definite chemical composition. Rocks are made of minerals and do not have a definitive chemical composition.

Also a little back ground on me to vet the answer I work as a geologist and am in the processes of becoming a licensed professional geologist.

Hope this helps!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with minerals. Gold is atomic symbol AU. Diamond I atomic symbol C (for carbon). As such they are native elements, minerals. Gold can have impurities, diamonds generally do not if I remember correctly.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40 Common Minerals and Their Uses

what about "Ore" you could add that to your discussion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ore

Rocks have minerals, which in large concentration are called ores and these are mined for metals.

A mineral is an inorganic, naturally occurring substance with distinct chemistry and crystalline structure.

Gemstones can be classified as either amorphous or crystalline. Amorphous gemstones have no orderly internal atomic structure and no naturally occurring shape. Glass, amber, and opal are examples. Crystalline gemstones are minerals; they have a definite and regular internal atomic structure. Examples include garnet, emerald, and ruby.

Diamonds are mineral.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys, I knew that gold was an element and that both gold and diamonds were minerals. I was always taught that rocks and minerals were two different critters but but in reading over their posts the guy made some good arguments to the contrary. Enough so to make me question what i was taught. So i came here to ask the people who would know. I'll make sure to send her a link to this thread, she will be happy to know that she was indeed right.

OP
OP

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Also a little back ground on me to vet the answer I work as a geologist and am in the processes of becoming a licensed professional geologist.

Hope this helps!

I was hoping a geologist would weigh in, TY. Here was her reply when the guy thought that saying he was a mining engineer would impress her enough to change her position.:

"BTW, when i want to know how to develop a mining claim I have filed I'll ask a mining engineer. When I want to know what the rocks and minerals are that I have found on that claim I will ask a geologist."

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a mineral but I can see how an internet troll could make the argument that gold is a rock. The few papers I've read typically had >80% gold content in the placer they were finding. The highest I've seen was >90% out of Georgia. You could argue that the lower content gold is a rock because it has so many other minerals in it like copper or silver. But I hate trolls it's a mineral
OK, kindly be respectfull All they did was ask a question. We don't need name calling when we don't know who the person was. It can be argued on Diamonds rock or mineral, I know mineral, then why do they call them rocks or stones when they are on a woman's finger or un--mounted? And even though gold is a mineral why don't they call it a metal instead?

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its all based on usage, its the difference between a "meaning" and a "definition"
how you use a word could mean different things. For example, 'the world' can mean variously:
'all the people on this planet', 'this planet', and even 'the entire universe'.

we all live on the third rock from the sun

Idiom of the day;
“I'm allergic to rocks hitting me in the face.”
― Mike Rowe

Last edited:
OP
OP

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
nh.nugget and Treasure_Hunter, unless you cut something out of the post you quoted i don't see how that could be an attack or insult directed towards me. If it was ... water off a ducks back. I'm pretty sure the person my friend was in a discussion with on facebook wasn't a member here. I don't know if he was a troll or not but he was on the opposite side of a discussion with our friend who has never backed away from a good debate. I explained the reasons above for asking the question here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on who the "Internet Troll" was he was referring to...... I will remove my comment..

OP
OP

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a pm from my friend:

"Please extend my thanks everyone on the site you linked me to for their replies. I knew I was right. It's 6th grade science for gods sake."

I'd like to say thanks again as well, as usual the members here have been helpful and knowledgeable.

OP
OP

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on who the "Internet Troll" was he was referring to...... I will remove my comment..

Thanks Treasure_Hunter. I don't think it was directed towards me but I have been known to throw a little gas on the fire once in a while.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't an insult towards you. we're all family here internet troll was uncalled for no matter who it was. we don't in my opinion call each other or any one names not knowing. all it was is question asked. Sorry I treat people with the same respect given.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After rereading post I believe it was directed at Facebook poster so rules would not apply...

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold and diamonds will get ya wedding bells and grandkids, Rocks will get you laughed out of the room

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread