image.jpg
    825.9 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ty people, I also plan on using for lake tributaries that consist of pebbles dirt and sand. How does the hog mat lay into the sluice? I heard superglue? I want the to be easily removed and swapped for moss and riffles

No glue except to attach mat sections together. The assembled mat is clamped in at the top and just lays flat in the sluice body and is removable for easy cleanup. Goldhog has many videos that show how. How to Install Sluice mat or here for a lot more info Gold Hog - Gold Prospecting Equipment - Sluice Mat

Last edited:

Finn

Nov 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Fellows

I am trying to eyeball those photos closely. I am not 100% sure but if that expanded metal IS flattened instead of raised, it will not work at all.

Salud

Finn

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ty people, I also plan on using for lake tributaries that consist of pebbles dirt and sand. How does the hog mat lay into the sluice? I heard superglue? I want the to be easily removed and swapped for moss and riffles

arizau is right, Superglue to glue sections of mat together. On the edges, where the mat meets the sluice sides, you use Gorilla tape. That makes a tight fit and still easy to remove.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice build but a couple issues.......

1 sluice.png

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
The hog matting should be cut to a close enough tolerance that it jam fits the sides of the sluice without bowing the middle of the mat up. You can then place and remove with little difficulty.

Here are the instructions from the hogs mouth.... so to speak...:laughing7:
How to Install Sluice mat

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right idea OV. Ditch the riffles for -100 gold. Only thing is combining deep V and vortex isn't a great idea. Vortex needs a 15degree tilt/drop, deep V works best with much less. So, you have to pick one or the other I think.

Thanks!
Hey KevininColorado your inbox is full!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fellows

I am trying to eyeball those photos closely. I am not 100% sure but if that expanded metal IS flattened instead of raised, it will not work at all.

Salud

Finn

Good eye

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The type of riffles you are using cant! you would have to cut the expanded to fit in between the riffles this way it all seals to the moss or carpet.
If your running sand and going for Glacier gold ditch the riffles and just run the expanded.
Bill

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Silicone sealant and closed cell foam rubber maybe. Sounds like you already got some scrap Hogg Mat, is that stuff "squishy"? Well if so, just squish it in there

NO Gold Hog matting ISNT SQUISHY! On my dredge I sold to Bill_saf I placed my riffle section on my weld table and measured the area between the riffles and cut my expanded metal to fit so that everything is even along its bottom and when installed back into the sluice , it would clamp down and NOT have any gaps underneath the riffels for the fine gold to meander out to the end of the sluice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I use 5/16 or inch miners moss I assume I will be ok and the riffles and expanded metal will be touch the moss. Here is a little bit more progress. Im not sure what I should run with grizzly teeth or expanded metal on my 14 gauge 30X12 hopper? myhighbanker.JPG

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I used to run different setups for different river conditions .Chunky, fine gold , clay , fast water ,slow water ??? it just depends on your conditions.

OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How thick should my expanded metal be?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread