Gold Prospecting in California - any suggestions?

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a small time prospector from Switzerland and am thinking about doing a bit of prospecting in California next year...trouble is I have no clue about locations. I will be heading east from San Francisco for a few hours drive and am open to hike to an area / up a river.

Can anyone recommend some good places? or where to find links to good places?

Clearly that is the "magic question", but I am just interested in finding a few nice flakes from California.... Ideally I would like to sluice / pan and not just pan...

Any starting points or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I say , "join a California club" (goggle that topic)or theres a lot of people here that can offer ideas. they will have everything setup for your visit. you could get all your research / maps / ideas of where togo ahead of time so you wont waste any of it! and STUDY Californias "laws" pertaining to what you want to do and carry them with you while out prospecting to help prevent these Waco CDFG guys that wanna make your day a living h%ll! Good Luck! and post how your trip went!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector, hands and pans as state has gone insanely anti-mining. Try another state, Idaho is good as they stood up for what's right and pushed back the insanity- Lotza luck-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Given your from Switzerland you have two ways you can go.

1. Contact several clubs that are located in the area(s) you want to visit. They will know the lay of the land, have claims that you could work as a guest and you'd be pretty sure to be able to take some gold home with you. A club in many cases will also have equipment you could use. Unless you have a lot of time while here in the U.S.A. this would be your best bet.

2. Research the area, get your gear together and strike out on your own. While this would be highly educational, it would be VERY time consuming and it also has the highest potential to get you into trouble. Between the chance of ending up on someones claim by mistake, there are also little things like Rattlesnakes to worry about. Researching areas in an attempt to find gold can take months or even years so if you're not willing to learn everything from geology to map reading and survival skills I'd strongly suggest going for option #1.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time.

Last edited:

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Look up the Auburn State Recreation Area. Probably around 3-4 hours from san francisco but decent gold and good access. Shoot, send me a PM in advance of your arrival and I'll show you some spots! There are some dangers out there like bears, mountain lions, rattle snakes, etc. but are usually scared of humans and not an issue. Most importantly watch where you place your hands and feet so you don't get bit by any little critters. Have fun and HEAVY PANS!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately RookmanGold the public lands of the United States are open to mineral exploration only by "citizens of the United States and those who have declared their intention to become such". Unless you fit that description you will not be able to prospect at will.

Luckily for you private lands and lands already under claim can be prospected with the permission of the owners no matter what your nationality. That would include most of the excellent suggestions you have already received. While you can't explore for undiscovered deposits to claim you can join a club, prospect another's claim with permission and engage in the recreational aspect permitted in some reserved areas.

You will have plenty of opportunities to pan and sluice within those restrictions. With a little luck, planning and hard work you should be able to get more than a few flakes of California gold.

Enjoy your holiday in California, I think you will find it a great adventure. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are quite a few places you can dig on state or locally owned land as a visitor to that part of the state right??

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are quite a few places you can dig on state or locally owned land as a visitor to that part of the state right??
Actually no, except for Auburn State Rec area it is illegal to remove anything from state owned/run land with out prior permission.

ratled

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can't prospect on California State land. You can prospect on private lands with the permission of the landowner.

Auburn Recreation Area isn't State Land. It's mostly private land with some BLM managed lands and some Bureau of Reclamation (a federal western water management agency) managed lands.

The California State Parks have a recreation management contract for some of the federal lands in that area but that contract doesn't include minerals management.

There is one small parcel of State owned land in the Folsom Lake State Recreation Area.

Heavy Pans

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live six miles from Coloma Ca. I have a mining claim and an extensive knowledge of the local area and the Motherlode region. I will make sure you have a great time and find color GAURANTEED !!!!!! promise pm me and I will help you with anything logistical on this side. Seriously get in touch with me I will make sure you don't dig where you aren't supposed to and you will get to experience way more than panning:occasion14: you pay for local lodging..depending on time of year camping by the river is great if you camp. I can provide tents wood for fire whatever you would need gear wise. Just let me know when your thinking and it will happen.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live six miles from Coloma Ca. I have a mining claim and an extensive knowledge of the local area and the Motherlode region. I will make sure you have a great time and find color GAURANTEED !!!!!! promise pm me and I will help you with anything logistical on this side. Seriously get in touch with me I will make sure you don't dig where you aren't supposed to and you will get to experience way more than panning:occasion14: you pay for local lodging..depending on time of year camping by the river is great if you camp. I can provide tents wood for fire whatever you would need gear wise. Just let me know when your thinking and it will happen.

WOW!

That is an offer anyone would be a fool to refuse.

You are one in a million Goldwasher! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've worked all over the country lived in a van ,hitchiked thousands of miles, snowboarded my brains out, cooked for thousands and thousands of people. Met and lived with people from all over the world. I like to have a good time and enjoy with others. Helping a fella from Switzerland come have what could be a once in a lifetime thing. A chance to make it as good as it could get for him would be my pleasure:thumbsup:

OP
OP
RookmanGold

RookmanGold

Dec 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all for your input.. let me do some research and I will get back to you...

I was aware of people being upset at some sorts of prospecting in CA, but I wasn't aware it was so frenzied!

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I too am just minutes away from good prospecting area's around the Columbia/Sonora area and would be glad to assist you. I am also a board member for one of the local clubs. When you get a timeframe dialed in, I will attempt to schedule our monthly outing at the same time you are in the area. Good Fun with lots of good people. Otherwise I will take you out myself. As Goldwasher suggested, pm me and we can make arrangements.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While Goldwasher is truly 1 in a million at least a few others in this thread would fit the description as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread