Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a school project that is a neat idea.:icon_thumright:

As far as it's practicality for field use, probably not in most cases. For example an ordinary sluice is light, portable, easy to set up and is probably capable of processing a much larger volume of material than your idea and most of us try to run as much material as is possible with whatever equipment we currently use. As long as there is gold in the feed material, the main key to placering success is to run as much of it as you can.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the feedback.

What would you think about a sluice box made of plastic and able to be folded for compact storage? I know that many sluices have metal riffles or a wooden frame. I am looking to innovate existing gold wash systems and I believe there may be ways to improve a standard sluice to accommodate gold prospectors that require light and compact equipment. Any feedback would be great. Thank you.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't like a folding sluice per say , you would have to make it so it is very ridged most of the ones I've seen usually sag a bit in the middle and tend to be hard to setup . I think many will agree . Bazooka and several other companies already make ABS sluices . I would prefer to see a normal size sluice , with an adjustable inlet maybe to increase or decrease water flow depending on water flow of the river or stream . I would do some significant rearch . I'm not saying that you have a bad idea , I would just do some more research . I understand that it's a class project , but who knows it may be a life changing event , if you make something extrodinary . You may want to start a new post about this , I'm sure you will get more responces from others .

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also add a multi tool , I always find a use for it when I'm out .

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a rad discussion and I've picked up some ideas here. I'd like to add that I pack a few dry clean towels and rags to clean up and dry my hands quickly if needed. I also pack a clean pair of socks for the ride home.

OP
OP
P

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry socks - been doing this for 50+ years, never thought to put a pair in. I like the sound of dry socks on a cold winter day. At least have a pair in the truck for the drive home.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A long-handled, forged garden cultivator is great for pulling potato-sized rocks out of the ground and doubles as a walking stick. I use it more for mining than prospecting but it's very handy, either way.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453485208.434031.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread