Any info about mine(s) near Temecula, Ca- Vail lake? I found something today.

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So excited I had to sign up and post. I was hiking near Sage/Vail Lake today, basically looking for rocks and tailings piles. I stumbled across a nice pile, then I discovered that it had a deep horizontal mine, so far that I couldn't see how far back it goes. It looked like it may have had a vertical shaft about 40' in. (Also a vertical shaft before the entrance). I plan to go back with a person and better lighting, it actually looks pretty roomy.
I live in the area, know about a couple of other mines (might be the Rice claim?), but maybe someone has some information to piece it all together.
One thing's for sure, they were finding something, no way someone would remove that much rock without a payoff. Most of the rock is shist.
What do you know? mine front.jpg mine w detector.jpg tailings pile.jpg vert pit.jpg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a quick way to find the Anita Louise on the Land Matters World Mines Map.

Load the map and click on the Binocular symbol in the toolbar on the right. :find:

In the window that pops up select "World Mines" in the "Layers Name" dropdown list.

Go to the "Generated Query" box at the bottom of the window and type or paste this line in exactly as it's written here.

[Mine Name] ILIKE '%anita louise%'

Click the "Apply" button at the bottom.

In the information window that pops up click on the magnifying glass just to the left of the words "Anita Louise". :zoom:

The map zooms to the Anita Louise mine. See the Rice Claims there? You can change base maps now or zoom in and out. Use the tool and click on the mine on the map. Now you have a link to the full report. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I wasn't able to find it before. I'll follow your instructions this time because I'd love to have another research tool, Landmatters looks like gold.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those mines are in the area. I live on Rocky Ridge (shown on map), I bought 20 acres last year and I'm having a great time exploring the area. That map led me to that specific area, while there's not a lot of claims in this region, I'm surprised more people aren't out there checking these mines out. Even at the prospector shops or on line, I've never heard of anyone refer to these (pretty sure it's in the Rice claims area, which is a gold claim). This mine isn't listed on the map, as a matter of fact, I can see three other mines from my property. Someone put a lot of work into removing a lot of rock, obviously what ever they were chasing ran out, I'd like to know what it was? There's also a lot of tourmaline mines in this region, even though the Rice claim says gold, I'm not so sure.

Has anyone crushed rock from a tailings pile, it seems like there should be gold locked into those rocks?

Thanks for the advice, but I've got to go in. I'll make sure I have someone with me, anyone in the area interested? There's a lot of room, no need to crawl just hunch down.
Structurally it looks very solid. I found a cavern closer to my property that I'd like to send in a remote camera or something. I wouldn't crawl into that one.

It's all about the chase! View attachment 1243486
First ALWAYS have someone outside the shaft or adit preferably with a radio to go for help doesn't help if both of you are inside. Not only gasses, but lack of O2. if oxygen levels are too low, you'll black out before you realize what happened I know this for fact!!! Take extra lights Have your primary and a backup and a backup for the backup for good measure. If you decide to enter it, do the next guy a favor. Take along some upside down paint fluorescent orange or lime green and mark the shafts you find so others don't miss them. All & all unless you have a lot of experience, STAY OUT!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I wasn't able to find it before. I'll follow your instructions this time because I'd love to have another research tool, Landmatters looks like gold.

It is; pure Au.

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not experienced, but I have read some horror stories about the average person exploring these old mines. One is cave in possibilities. The other is toxic gases, and the possibility of explosions, some of which could be set off by just hammering on the rock to see what is there. Here in the desert we keep warning people to be aware of critters, rattlesnakes, carnivores, and in general, creepy crawlers. Any of these could disable you if you are alone, and that would pretty much ensure your demise. If you really want to go exploring, I suggest you find an expert or three to take you. They will be able to evaluate the site, and if safe, take you in to look.

You might wish to stay outside and poke around the dirt/rocks to see what you can find. Even though experts of the past, and even present day have found most everything, occasionally you can find something they missed, or thought wasn't worth their while. Good luck and please be safe. Caley

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't go inside without a competent person. And because of other members' advice, I am trying to get permission so that I can prospect on that property.
I work quite a bit, but today I said I'm going to find gold on my property. I really need to learn how to use my detector so I gave it a good try today. I couldn't pinpoint my first target so I ran into town to get a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT. What a difference! While I didn't find any color, I did find it easier to locate shell casings and shrapnel. I'm going to have to post some questions about detector use tonight.
Still yet to find a flake or nugget of gold, operative word, yet!
Thanks Desertgolddigger- WHere do you prospect/fin gold?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not experienced, but I have read some horror stories about the average person exploring these old mines. One is cave in possibilities. The other is toxic gases, and the possibility of explosions, some of which could be set off by just hammering on the rock to see what is there. Here in the desert we keep warning people to be aware of critters, rattlesnakes, carnivores, and in general, creepy crawlers. Any of these could disable you if you are alone, and that would pretty much ensure your demise. If you really want to go exploring, I suggest you find an expert or three to take you. They will be able to evaluate the site, and if safe, take you in to look.

You might wish to stay outside and poke around the dirt/rocks to see what you can find. Even though experts of the past, and even present day have found most everything, occasionally you can find something they missed, or thought wasn't worth their while. Good luck and please be safe. Caley

I lay in bed sometimes and shudder at the thoughts of the holes I crawled into years ago.

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Geolover, I just returned to placer dry washing after a 7 year absence. I joined a club down in San Bernardino, California, the Valley Prospectors. They have claims in Big Bear, off the 215 freeway in the mountains, outside of Barstow, up in Kern County and I think they have a couple of small claims along a river/creek in northern California. I found the claims outside of Barstow to be fairly easy to get to. At least the roads are fair unlike my previous experiences in the Gold Crown area outside of 29Palms. I hope to be able to try all of their claims eventually, as long as my old Honda CRV can traverse the roads without getting stuck.

Good luck on your outing. Hope you find some colour. Caley

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see, you are in Twentynine palms. I have a GPAA membership and plan to go check out their claims.
Good luck to you as well!

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have a real good 4-wheel drive vehicle, you should not have problems getting through the deep sand out in the Gold Crown area. If you don't then don't even bother driving out, as it is more than likely you will end up hiking out to flag down a ride to town to get the off road tow truck driver. That would run you around $400. Just a word of caution from someone who has had to be towed out, TWICE!, and never will go back in there again. Caley

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i'll have to check out the gold crown area, thanks

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i'll have to check out the gold crown area, thanks

Gold crown area, is that near old Dale rd? I found other info about gold crown up North.

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold crown area, is that near old Dale rd? I found other info about gold crown up North.

Gold Crown rd. comes into the Dale district from the north and turns into Old Dale rd. when it drops into Joshua Tree.
last time I was there it had a couple places around the Sunset mine that got a little hairy.

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Crown rd. comes into the Dale district from the north and turns into Old Dale rd. when it drops into Joshua Tree.
last time I was there it had a couple places around the Sunset mine that got a little hairy.

Thanks, if I'm ever in the area I'll be sure to check it out.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
The first rule of mines - stay out, stay alive.

That being said, people digging their own mines face the exact same risks, so if you're intent on getting the gold, you're going to have to make that choice of going in or digging your own hole.

Best you can do is try to be as prepared as possible. Understand what you're going to tunnel into, the general stability of the rock, how such rock tends to fracture with stress and impact, so you can anticipate and plan.

I'll be seeing you on Sunday, we'll have a look around and I'll point out stuff to look for on the outsides first before we think of venturing anywhere inside anything or making your own hole, along with show you how to use that map I gave you with GEP to maximize your initial search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread