Any info about mine(s) near Temecula, Ca- Vail lake? I found something today.

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So excited I had to sign up and post. I was hiking near Sage/Vail Lake today, basically looking for rocks and tailings piles. I stumbled across a nice pile, then I discovered that it had a deep horizontal mine, so far that I couldn't see how far back it goes. It looked like it may have had a vertical shaft about 40' in. (Also a vertical shaft before the entrance). I plan to go back with a person and better lighting, it actually looks pretty roomy.
I live in the area, know about a couple of other mines (might be the Rice claim?), but maybe someone has some information to piece it all together.
One thing's for sure, they were finding something, no way someone would remove that much rock without a payoff. Most of the rock is shist.
What do you know? mine front.jpg mine w detector.jpg tailings pile.jpg vert pit.jpg

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all... Welcome!!

If you were a bit north and east of the lake, the topo maps show several mines in this area.
I did not see any active lode or placer claims - but I'm not from this area so the data I'm going by may not be up-to-date or accurate.

Might not be a bad idea to cover up that hole somehow (or at least mark it), so someone doesn't fall into it.

Temecula-Topo-Map.jpg

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
First off I'd like to second on the welcome!

I would highly suggest that you DO NOT ENTER ANY old shafts! Many of them are deathtraps and should only be entered by trained pros! Many mines were abandoned not because they were played out, but because of toxic gas build up. Many of those gases have no scent to them so you can't tell if they're still there or not. It takes special gear to test for them. Sure it's fun to explore but mine shafts are not something that anyone but an experienced person should ever consider entering. Stay smart and stay alive!!!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave your carbide lamps and candles at home as KABOOM is NOT a nice sound to hear when your underground and your whole world fades to black.....John

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those mines are in the area. I live on Rocky Ridge (shown on map), I bought 20 acres last year and I'm having a great time exploring the area. That map led me to that specific area, while there's not a lot of claims in this region, I'm surprised more people aren't out there checking these mines out. Even at the prospector shops or on line, I've never heard of anyone refer to these (pretty sure it's in the Rice claims area, which is a gold claim). This mine isn't listed on the map, as a matter of fact, I can see three other mines from my property. Someone put a lot of work into removing a lot of rock, obviously what ever they were chasing ran out, I'd like to know what it was? There's also a lot of tourmaline mines in this region, even though the Rice claim says gold, I'm not so sure.

Has anyone crushed rock from a tailings pile, it seems like there should be gold locked into those rocks?

Thanks for the advice, but I've got to go in. I'll make sure I have someone with me, anyone in the area interested? There's a lot of room, no need to crawl just hunch down.
Structurally it looks very solid. I found a cavern closer to my property that I'd like to send in a remote camera or something. I wouldn't crawl into that one.

It's all about the chase! mine view.jpg

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"I'll make sure I have someone with me, anyone in the area interested?"

No thanks. I'd sooner play Russian roulette. Do yourself and anyone else a favor by not dragging them in. If you take ANYONE it should be a local lode mine expert and not a curious kid.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some spelunking gear but I would definitely be extra careful. I live to far away but camera and more research is needed before proceeding.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those mines are in the area. I live on Rocky Ridge (shown on map), I bought 20 acres last year and I'm having a great time exploring the area. That map led me to that specific area, while there's not a lot of claims in this region, I'm surprised more people aren't out there checking these mines out. Even at the prospector shops or on line, I've never heard of anyone refer to these (pretty sure it's in the Rice claims area, which is a gold claim). This mine isn't listed on the map, as a matter of fact, I can see three other mines from my property. Someone put a lot of work into removing a lot of rock, obviously what ever they were chasing ran out, I'd like to know what it was? There's also a lot of tourmaline mines in this region, even though the Rice claim says gold, I'm not so sure.

Has anyone crushed rock from a tailings pile, it seems like there should be gold locked into those rocks?

Thanks for the advice, but I've got to go in. I'll make sure I have someone with me, anyone in the area interested? There's a lot of room, no need to crawl just hunch down.
Structurally it looks very solid. I found a cavern closer to my property that I'd like to send in a remote camera or something. I wouldn't crawl into that one.

It's all about the chase! View attachment 1243486

Your working really hard on increasing visitors to the area with posts like this!!

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's okay, it's mostly about the chase and some of the geological aspects that come into play. If they were real producers, miners wouldn't have stopped digging and visitors would frequent. I've never seen or heard of a person prospecting this area, there aren't any other mines near by. I guess, in a sense, I wouldn't mind a few people covering more of this ground, checking things out, bouncing ideas or thoughts past each other. It is so interesting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went back this morning, there are not a lot of rocks on the floor, it looks real secure! I see signs that other people have gone in. I could see a little clearer today, at the end a person could stand up. I'm leary of rattlesnakes more than anything else. When I find a second person, I'll report back with more.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the Anita Louise. It was a feldspar mine. Not all mines pay and sometimes people dig based on hope or faith that the big strike is just a few feet further. No gold = feldspar mine. I'm pretty sure there are at least a few people reading this that have dug holes based on hope. :BangHead:

The entire area around 7S 1E Section 31 is private patented land, including the Rice Claims. The area you are exploring is private land just like the land you bought and live on, someone owns it. There is a small area northwest of there in the southwest of Section 30 that is BLM managed land.

I got all that information from Land Matters.

If you are going to continue exploring (and I encourage you to do so!) please study at least the land status before you go on the land. It's your legal duty and some folks get a little upset when they find someone trespassing on their personal patch of desert.

You've received good advice about never entering old mines. Disability and death are not uncommon ends for those curious enough enter those places. Besides collapse and poisonous or explosive gasses there are many hidden dangers. You obviously don't know anything about mine workings because what you describe is not a shaft. Ignorance can kill you.

Here's my thought on old mine works.
If you don't know what a winze is you shouldn't ever enter an abandoned mine.
If you do know what a winze is you won't enter an abandoned mine.

Winzes kill. You won't know what hit you before you are gone.

Have fun and explore on the public lands. Always know the status of that land before you go. If you want to explore for minerals always check for mining claims first. If you want to enter an abandoned mine workings leave a note behind so your family will know you were just being stupid and not committing suicide.

Heavy Pans

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I decided to descend one in the Mojave with ropes and a harness. I went 100+ feet down and dropped a pebble. I could hear the pebble bounce for at least a few hundred more feet so I called out for a "pull me up"! Creepy feeling for sure! Probably would have taken a while if I had to climb out on my own.
I have been 6/10 of a mile deep and found swiss cheese mountains where one step away equals a gruesome death. Keep exploring but be safe!

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice. For some reason I don't think it's an Anita Louise mine, the coordinances didn't jive and I thought I saw the A.L. in another location. Never the less, I will check it out to make sure.
I'm admittedly new to all of this, so I'm not afraid to ask a stupid question or question something. I thought I read somewhere that I could pass on property if it's not posted (no tresspassing)? That sounds too good to be true, although, taking rocks or soil would obviously be another issue. Sounds like I need to check your website out.
I'll check out winze and double check the A.L. location.
Thanks!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust us Geolover... If Clay Diggins says it's the Anita Louise then there is a 99.999% chance that he's right. If he says it's a feldspar mine then it's a damn good guess that that is EXACTLY what it is.

You can still check out the geology and mineralogy without having to go into the mine by digging around in the tailings piles ONCE YOU GET THE LAND OWNERS PERMISSION. Other wise you're looking at a possible run in with the local sheriff if the owner wants to press matters if they catch you in there. If you do happen to go in there and something happens, just remember that we did try to warn you off from this silliness.

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
okay, okay, I've got it, I'll take some good advice. After all I came here to learn.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't believe GI geolover I haven't walked on water in almost a week and I seem to recall being wrong once. :icon_scratch:

I might even be wrong about the hole in the ground. geolover wasn't specific about the location and I'm sure there's lots of holes in those hills.

Truthfully after a few hundred years of this the holes all start looking the same... that one just reminded me of Anita :laughing7:

The MRDS where the mine locations come from isn't very accurate. A lot of mines show up twice, sometimes miles apart. Whatever the mines name is I stand by my advice to stay out of her. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back this morning, there are not a lot of rocks on the floor, it looks real secure! I see signs that other people have gone in. I could see a little clearer today, at the end a person could stand up. I'm leary of rattlesnakes more than anything else. When I find a second person, I'll report back with more.
Your biggest concern about entering an abandoned mine is rattlesnake?!? That's kind of strange. F a rattlesnake, there are a dozens ways to die in there more common then a snake bite.

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah ha! I tried to find the Anita Louise mine, even tried land matters, no luck. I pulled up the information that led me to believe it's the Rice claim, a gold claim (goldenIrishmen). First I went to Riverside County, California Mines which led me to more specific info and location of the Rice claim.
Rice Claims The location correct. Somewhere I do remember seeing the Anita Louise mine, by the way, why do they mine for feldspar? Maybe thinking about the Anita mine, which is near. Try mindat, an awesome site. Anita Mine (Magee mine; Magee & Dougherty mine; Sage mine), Red Mountain, Sage, Cahuilla District, Riverside Co., California, USA

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah ha! I tried to find the Anita Louise mine, even tried land matters, no luck. I pulled up the information that led me to believe it's the Rice claim, a gold claim (goldenIrishmen). First I went to Riverside County, California Mines which led me to more specific info and location of the Rice claim.
Rice Claims The location correct. Somewhere I do remember seeing the Anita Louise mine, by the way, why do they mine for feldspar? Maybe thinking about the Anita mine, which is near. Try mindat, an awesome site. Anita Mine (Magee mine; Magee & Dougherty mine; Sage mine), Red Mountain, Sage, Cahuilla District, Riverside Co., California, USA

It's not the old Sage/Anita mine geolover.

You should have used the Land Matters World Mines Map. It will take you right to the Anita Louise and her MRDS report.

It just northeast of the of Rice Claims (nearer to your house). :thumbsup:

Mining for feldspar means the country rock is feldspar and no mineralization was found. It's a dry hole. Hope drove another man to knock holes in mountains for no good reason. :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awww.... Don't let Clay fool ya Geolover! He may have mined the gold that went into the gilding on the Ark of the Covenant, but his mind is still sharp as freshly flaked obsidian. He's forgotten more things on mining that most of us here ever learned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread