Las Animas Spill --Tip of the iceberg; offered without comment

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quoted from the DENVER POST OP-ED: GOLD KING MINE IS JUST TIP OF ICEBERG

12/7/15

By Congressman Doug Lamborn

Imagine kayakers drifting through the neon waters of the Animas River. Or, think about toxic, heavy metals seeping into Crested Butte's drinking water and Indian reservation waters downstream. Unfortunately, these scenarios aren't figments of your imagination—they're a reality. With the recent Gold King Mine and Standard Mine spills, Colorado has suffered more than its fair share of environmental disasters caused by abandoned mines.

But the abandoned mine problem is bigger than just Colorado. It is estimated that there are as many as 400,000 abandoned mines in the western United States. Many of these mines contain heavy metals and other chemicals that could seriously damage the surrounding environment and jeopardize the health of nearby residents.

To prevent future catastrophes — not just for the next few years but well into the future—we need to adopt a multifaceted solution. We need a plan that addresses the financial hardship of mine cleanup, incentivizes the private sector to do its part without fear of crushing liability or overregulation, and teaches the next generation of engineers the best environmental and engineering practices.

To address these concerns, I have introduced new legislation as part of a larger package of bills that offers protection and incentives to well-intentioned private companies who can assist in the recovery of abandoned mine land.

The Locatable Minerals Claim Location and Maintenance Fees Act, H.R. 3843, would require the EPA to create "Good Samaritan" permits to provide limited liability protections for industry and non-profit groups who have the technical expertise to responsibly remediate abandoned mine lands.

Under my legislation, organizations that clean up abandoned mine lands would also find relief under the Clean Water Act and CERCLA. This step is critical to encourage volunteer clean-up of both coal and non-coal abandoned mine land sites —provided that their actions are not grossly negligent and are performed in good faith. The bill also authorizes the Bureau of Land Management to collect claim location and maintenance fees, both of which have not been authorized in the past.

Rather than trust our precious resources solely to an agency that has proven its own fallibility by actually causing the recent Colorado spills, H.R. 3843 increases our options by harnessing the skills of private industries and non-profit organizations for the benefit of the environment.

And as we've seen with the recent mining disasters in our area, expertise is vital when dealing with complex mining situations. In the Gold King mine spill, it was discovered that out of more than 15,000 employees EPA had no 'mining engineers' and only 68 geologists. Of these geologists, only two were assigned to Region 8 where the Colorado spills occurred.

To address the lack of expertise in our environmental agencies, the Mining Schools Enhancement Act invests in the next generation of engineers by providing additional funding to accredited mining schools. It also establishes research grants to rebuild a strong cohort between technical expertise and the public and private sectors.

However, without adequate funding even well-intentioned organizations can't afford to use their expertise to help clean up abandoned mines in the West. That is why this package also includes the Energy and Minerals Reclamation Foundation Establishment Act. This legislation creates a foundation so that concerned individuals and organizations, like environmental groups that have been so vocal on this issue, can raise money to help fund the clean-ups through the private sector.

Together, these three pieces of legislation collectively utilize all of our resources — federal agencies, non-profits, the private sector, and educational institutions — to ensure that we have all the tools necessary to clean up our nations abandoned mines and prevent any future Gold King Mine tragedies.

Rep. Doug Lamborn represents Colorado's 5th Congressional District. He is chairman of the Energy and Mineral Resources Subcommittee of the House Natural Resources Committee.

Upvote 0

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the current location fee is $34. New proposed fee in the HR 3843 is $37.
Current maintenance fee is $155 per 20 acre increment. New proposed fee is $155 per 20. No increase, good.

There is $40 mil in there to conduct "mining law administration program operations." Hmmmm. Is this funding for mining claim validity examinations? Kinda looks like it, but I didn't read the whole thing and I might be reading into this aspect.

The proposed Energy and Minerals Reclamation Foundation Establishment Act will supposedly be providing the funding for the mine cleanups. Looks like $7 mil in the kitty to begin with and $2 mil to get the new bureaucracy (foundation) started.
Will this be providing a brand new business model for the "non-profit" environmental groups?

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
this was a NON-PREVENTABLE "accident" and a gaurenteed pot of gold for the gubermint agency that had a "accident" on our land and they get the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to clean it up ! It don't take a rocket scientist to see / understand whats going on here! and its all quiet now! If we had done this , we STILL wouldn't be out of jail!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less than 3 miles from my house is the EPA horrendous boondoggle called the Iron Mountain Cleanup sight. Same same but they make the acid/metals worse every year by recontamination constantly. HUGE underground mine with more than 5000 miles of tunnels proven to exist. Huge mountain is like a sponge with a massive hole in the top, Brick Yard, where millions of yards of red dirt clay removed. 3 drains at the hill base that are treated for acidification and metals. Now comes the insane part as the resultant sludge is hauled to the top of the hill and dumped into the huge hole. It fills with rainwater and percolates back through the contamined mountain so each year it's even more acidic and more metals. MY fix was simply treat and remove the metals on sight and remove the source of recontamination. We did it in the plating/pc biz on many millions of gallons of water every year. Proven science for over 40 years but then the hazardous sight would end and they'd have to get a real job, which is unacceptable. sic sic sic EPA. Treat the drainage , recover the metals and ez to do in Colorado but plug popping ideas which prevail is insanity-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread