Looking for Range/Township/Section overlay KLM or KMZ file for google earth (Free)

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how they justify charging money for information paid for by tax payers, but I can't seam to find a Range/section/Township map or google overlay file.

I know I used to have one before my comp got wiped out, but I cant seam to find one now without paying for it.

Anyone know where I can get that overlay or a section map for Willamette meridian?

Sure is a allot of information going missing from the internet these days.

If not I guess I could fire up linux and dive into my potentially very unsafe external HD....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just use this and turn on PLSS
GeoCommunicator
once you zoom in you can also select "identify" select a section
in the popup window select PLSS then mining claims to bring up claims in that whole township
then you can look for the ones if any in the section your looking at, use the arrows for more pages.

I also find myself using http://mylandmatters.org/Maps/Mining.html it will show all the claims for a whole area.
I just start out drawing a small rectangle with the mouse to zoom in on an area then change to pan or move function.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
And if you really want to make it simple, free and much more accurate just go to mylandmatters.org. PLSS data is available on the majority of the maps there as well as land management, wilderness areas etc. EVERYTHING you need to research claims in just about any area of the western U.S. except a trip to the county recorders office. If you run into any problems with the site you can ask its creator Clay Diggins here on the forum for help or myself. It's my "go-to" online research tool any more.

You may have to check several map sections to get a full picture of an area as not all layers can be displayed on a single map. Link to the main page is in my signature....

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably won't suit you since it doesn't show T&R but I'll mention it anyway, Topo Map this is a google earth topo map overlay, essentially CalTopo but 3D. It can be helpful, I just hate how it doesn't have T&R though.

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arg! That Sucks!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a direct download link to a KML that will display the old PLSS. That PLSS is HUGE so you are better off to display a streaming service like the one in this linked KML.

To put the actual PLSS data into a KML would be well outside the capabilities of the KML file format. It just wouldn't work. That's why some people charge you for making PLSS data KMLs in small parts. KML is a bloated slow and outdated format that was never suited to spatial information like the PLSS. KML will go the way of Google Earth and the Yugo eventually.

If you want the actual PLSS files you will need to set up a database or GIS program and download a bunch of vector shapefiles. For that you will need considerable disk space available (13+ Gigabytes in compressed form). Those PLSS files are free from several sources including the old geocommunicator.

The PLSS that is streamed from the linked KML and offered for download is deprecated since 2009. Deprecated means no longer, updated, supported or in use - like Google Earth browser as of this coming Saturday. Kaput.

Some of the new CadNSDI PLSS that replaces the old PLSS is becoming available in dribs and drabs. It's still got a lot of problems and finding the whole set took us months.

At Land Matters we've fixed most of the problems with the new CadNSDI PLSS and have been using it on our maps for several months. We had been waiting for the government to do that job for nearly 5 years but despite billions of dollars and dozens of experts it didn't happen. Sometimes two people working on a borrowed computer can get more done quicker than the government. :BangHead: Welcome to Land Matters. :thumbsup:

As far as we can tell Land Matters has the only publicly available complete working CadNSDI PLSS - anywhere. Due to your donations we will be expanding our server storage and memory and adding the Quarter Quarter Sections to the new CadNSDI PLSS over the next few weeks.

Between the recognized inaccuracies of Google Earth and the fact the KML linked is way out of date I will caution against using them for anything but entertainment. Using that combination to define a legal land location is a bad idea.

Please be aware the official PLSS is not in digital form or on a map. The only official Public Land Survey is the actual survey itself, on the ground, in place. Relying entirely on either the old or the new PLSS may lead to inaccurate locations. The PLSS as we use it is a reference tool - not a complete land description.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Heh heh heh :laughing7: Gotta watch that Clay guy. He's pretty "Spry" for his age. He'll sneak those posts in when you're not looking. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread