Harbor Freight 6.5hp Engine unboxing, 1st start and 1st oil change using Lucas ZDDP

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone!

I got a nice window of good internet last night and uploaded the last video in my Harbor Freight Predator Engine 3 part series.

For anyone wondering about Predator engines as a start for a dredge or highbanker or as a replacement engine, I don't think that you can go wrong with one of these engines.

Be sure to follow the break in steps to the T and use an engine break additive like Lucas and you will have an engine that will be as dependable as Briggs or Honda.

I plan on trying out the Predator 3hp engine and 13hp engine later this year as well.

I hope this helps with your choice on buying your next engine.

Unboxing.

First Start

1st Oil change with Lucas Engine Break in additive.

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
HF engine will not work for my small pump! theres NOT enough meat on the impeller to be able to machine it out to fit AND have enough there for the keyway to be cut into the impeller. Im very reluctant to take the engine apart and have the crankshaft machined because it WILL void the warranty that I think having a warranty would be a smart move because of their "questionable" reliability! besides the pump housing wont bolt up without mods and a adaptor ( I could make that with no problem) ! Second choice would be to put this engine / pump back together and run it as is! Like I said before , it runs /starts fine!! and if it aint broke , why fix it! man I sure wanted a 4 stroke engine for it! Id hate to have to buy another 2 inch dredge just to use its eng/pump! HECK I probly wont even be able to use it if these ole knees don't get with it! BUT this is something that I can do in the mean time! John, forget about the PM I sent you! It wont work unless you have a idea!

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Neo,

I built my trommel around the Predator motor. A friend of mine has put the trommel to use up north of Phoenix on his claims. Not sure what your plan of use will be as I did not read through the post as my knee is hurting...

Trommel.png

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Neo,

I built my trommel around the Predator motor. A friend of mine has put the trommel to use up north of Phoenix on his claims. Not sure what your plan of use will be as I did not read through the post as my knee is hurting...

View attachment 1252322

I went with the 6.5hp for now just for a stand alone hookah build with the intention of adding a Keene or Proline pump on it later for a 4" build.
The hookah build is complete, I just have been super lazy and have not made any video's of it all together and pumping air. lol

I do plan on picking up a HF 3hp engine for a dedicated Hookah build with no intention of adding a pump, it is much lighter and takes less fuel.
With 3hp I can put my T80 on if I am going by myself or slap my Gast 263 on if I am going with a friend.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I used one for mine. I went mail order if that makes a difference.

ratled

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I tried using the coupon online and it wouldn't let me.
Redding HF doesn't have the 3hp engine that I want.

The next time I am down in Chico or Sacramento I will have to pick one up so that I can use the coupon.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ratled they have so many different coupons for the same discount, do you mind sharing the code if it is still active so that we can get it? :)

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ratled they have so many different coupons for the same discount, do you mind sharing the code if it is still active so that we can get it? :)
Just use any search engine for the HF 20%. I like using retail me not for coupons- works usually for all the good sites that take coupons like HF, Midway USA, Brownells . The current one I see is 70166369. I don't buy anything worth more than a couple of bucks without checking for a promo code. - SAVES ME $100s every year

Also there is a usally a 20% coupon on the flyer... which if you look around you can download from them too

ratled

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use retailmenot for Dominos Pizza. :D

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll bring this thread back to life......If you have read all the posts in this thread you should know that Harbor Freight is a source for cheaper stuff....not that it is bad. And if you follow their sales/coupons you can (like me) acquire some things that normally you would not buy. Granted, after my third $17.00 4 1/2 inch grinder I stepped up to a spendy DeWalt. But if you want all the bargains just go to the Harbor Freight website and sign up for their e-mail....if you don't have a printer you can have their stuff, adds, mailed to you. Just went out and shut the Predator Gen. down.....another six hours on the odometor...today and every day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread