New to it all, where to start, what to do...

Norbert77

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this sunny (in reality frigid and frozen) Canada I got my prospectors license 2 years ago and have been slowly poking at prospecting. I would like to step it up a notch, but lack the funds to get it done myself but I really don't want any investors. But what I lack in money I can make up with my engineering skills, mechanical aptitude and with a "can-do" attitude.

I'm prospecting a fast flowing creek that's almost frozen right now, so I might be on a break until spring. But when it's spring I want to tow my camper in and do it full time.

How do you decide what steps to do, when would you get an excavator or build your own dredge? What's the difference between a dredge and a sluice, on small scale unit videos it seems to work the same. I'm such a news I don't even know what questions to ask.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
READ:

[h=1]Gold Mining in the 21st Century: The Complete Book of Modern Gold Mining Procedures by Dave McCracken[/h]
[h=1]Fists Full Of Gold by Chris Ralph [/h]

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My copy of fist full of gold is starting to have its cover come loose......I lent out (dumb) my original mining in the 80's...bye bye....and luckily scored another one recently!!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Winter is a great time to hole up and read all you can. You can also get on youtube and do a search for gold prospecting. You can watch dozens of videos of other people doing their form of gold mining - from the small scale all the way up to commercial size ops.
Without a doubt, the absolute best thing to find is a mentor. Try to find someone willing to show you what they know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread