Patented 111.08 Acre Mining Claim for sale

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mt Reuben This is the real deal: patented mining claim with approx 300' hard rock tunnel with venting shaft, springs, home site (cabin burned down several yrs ago, but was at one time established), lots of mining/processing equipment included, and assays on file for qualified buyer. Breathtakingly spectacular big canyon country perched high above the wild section of the Rogue River, with every type of terrain & indigenous tree available, surface water, and all the peace and quiet a person could want. Considered remote and certainly off grid, but good graveled BLM Road for access...and only about ...35 minutes from Grants Pass. If you've dreamed of getting away and have a hankerin' to get serious about mining, this could be the place for you! All information is deemed reliable but not verified; anyone considering purchasing this property should perform their own investigation into the uses and condition of the property.

Mt Reuben, Merlin, OR For Sale | Trulia.com

I spoke to the owner of this property some years back. He told me it was/is one of the richest vein strikes in the Reuben mountain area, but the tunnel became very unstable earth and too dangerous and difficult to shore up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anyone interested in researching the history of this mine, I was informed by a mining historian this is the Copper Stain mine.

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent from Mining Historian Kerby Jackson:

Copper Stain Mine History:
The earliest published mention of the Copper Stain is made by the Mining and Scientific Press on January 12th, 1895: “According to reports brought in by one of the miners of Mount Reuben, the chemical process for working refractory ores, which was being tested by Messrs. Beardsley and Wetherell on the Copper Stain Mine on Mount Reuben has proven a success. They have their three feet pan in operation treating tailings. It is reported that as a result from less than 48 hours run, they cleaned up $600 (approx. 31 ounces)”.
The Mining and Scientific Press on July 27th, 1895, reported that: “The Copper Stain Mine in Mt. Reuben district is owned by J.H. Wetherell & Co. of Grants Pass. The ore has an assay value of $20 to $35 per ton, mostly in sulphurets. The rock, besides gold, carries copper and silver”.
In 1898, Precious Metals of the United States reported on the Mount Reuben area and makes mention of the Copper Stain Mine, noting that in 1897 “Mount Reuben, from which the district takes its name, is highly mineralized, many small veins and ledges being known. The formation is porphyr. This section is worthy of note because the principal quartz mining of Southern Oregon is being done here … The Copper Stain and Sandoz mines are in this district, both have Tremain mills”.
On January 15th, 1900, The Salt Lake Mining Review reported: “A rich strike has just been made at the Copper Stain, on Mount Reuben, sixteen miles from Leland, and two miles from the Gold Bug. At a depth of 150 feet from the lower tunnel a body of very rich ore has been struck, which is eight feet between the walls. The rock is very rich in free gold and sulphurets, that will go hundreds of dollars to the ton. The mine is bonded to the Lawrence Mining Company of Springfield, Illinois, who have been doing development work for the past six months. The property was discovered several years ago by Blalock and Triplett. They were getting out timber in the hill for mortar boxes when they tore up some quartz, and upon investigation found the property, from which $12,000 (approx. 632 ounces at $18.98 per ounce)was taken out of the surface. Since that time, J.B. Wetherell bought the property and has done considerable work on the same, consisting of 350 feet of tunnels, shafts and drifts, and erected a Tremain mill upon the property, working much quartz that averaged $34 to the ton (approx. 1.8 ounces per ton).”
On March 25th, 1900, The Sunday Oregonian (Portland) reported that: “C.D. Burnett and E.W. Dana, working on the Copper Stain Mine, have just struck a fine body of ore, which assays very high. This property is considered one of the best in the district, and has the making of a fine mine”.
On April 13th, 1900, The Union Gazette (Corvallis) reported that: “The Copper Stain Mine, in Josephine County, was sold for $9000”.
On April 30th, 1900, The Salt Lake Mining Review reported:”E.W. Dana of the Copper Stain, at Mt. Reuben, came in (to Grants Pass) last Sunday evening, returning on Monday. Mr. Dana says the Copper Stain is looking fine. He has twelve men at work on the property, but says he will not erect a stamp mill until more development work is done and they know more as to their body of ore. If the ledge continues as it is at present doing, they have the richest mine in Southern Oregon”.
On August 26th, 1900, The Sunday Oregonian (Portland) reported that: “Several new stocks are to listed soon. Secretary Hard, of the Oregon Mining Stock Exchange, has received, through the kindness of E.C. Pentland of Grants Pass, specimens of quartz from the following mines in that vicinity: The Rising Star Mine on Williams Creek, 20 miles from Grants Pass; the Copper Stain, 35 miles north of Grants Pass; (and) Sunbeam … Gold Bug … Oregon Bonanza … Challenge … Midnight …. (and) May Queen”.
On August 30th, 1900, The Salt Lake Mining Review reported: “E.W. Dana has just returned (to Grants Pass) with Surveyor Perkins from surveying the mountain road to the Copper Stain Mine. Mr. Dana says if the road is built, he is sure, from the easy grades, that the Gold Bug people will connect with it. Now let the business people see the commissioners and see that the road is built”.
On April 18th, 1901, the Rogue River Courier reported: “W.H. Dana was in from the Copper Stain Mine on Friday. The work is being steadily carried on at this property which is being developed into a mine which is destined to place among the large producers of this section”.
On July 4th, 1901, the Rogue River Courier reported: “W.H. Dana of the Copper Stain visited Grants Pass Thursday. That property continues to improve under development”.
On August 1st, 1901, the Rogue River Courier reported: “Superintendent Houston of the Copper Stain went to Frisco on Monday”.
On August 10th, 1901, The Engineering and Mining Journal reported: “Major J.A. Connelly of Springfield, Illinois, has returned from a visit to the Copper Stain Mine on Mount Reuben near Grants Pass, Oregon”. Connelly was a major stock holder in the mine.
On August 29th, 1901, the Rogue River Courier reported: “William and Manville Hege, who have lately been at the Copper Stain mine, returned to town last week for an indefinite stay”.
In mid 1901, The Mining and Scientific Press remarked that: “W.H. Dunn of the Copper Stain Mine on Mt Reuben, near Grants Pass, says a number of men are engaged in sinking on the vein in this mine.” (Note: W.H. Dunn later drowned in the Rogue River near Hellgate. Dunn Riffle and the Dunn Reach of the Rogue River (which is the area between Hellgate and the mouth of Grave Creek) are named for him).
On September 5th, 1901, the Rogue River Courier reported: “W.H. Dana, superintendent of the Copper Stain mine on Mount Reuben, reports that the recent strike in the Copper Stain gives all indications of being the uncovering of a permanent rich ore body. The discovery was made on the third or lower level of the mine, 300 feet down. The gold is visible through all parts of the rock. It is very likely that the discovery will result in an increase of the general equipment of the Copper Stain”.
A similar report appeared in the September 6th edition of the Oregon Mist, adding that: “Another rich strike has been made in the Copper Stain Mine in the Mount Reuben district near Grants Pass. Workmen, while drilling, noticed glistening particles in the rock, which proved to be gold. The extent of the vein is not yet known, but the rock is worth many thousands per ton”. (Note: Even assuming only $2000 a ton in those days, these numbers exceed 100 ounces per ton, or about 2.5 ounces per 5 gallon bucket of ore). Similar reports appeared throughout the state.
On September 12th, 1901, the Mining Reporter reported that: “On the third or lower level at a depth of 400 feet a strike was made in the Copper Stain mine this week. In crosscutting from the main shaft a shot unexpectedly uncovered a rich body of ore in which the gold glitters visibly. Investigation has proved the discovery to be the richest pay streak yet encountered in the Copper Stain. The owners of the mine are contemplating adding to the general equipment of the mine as a result of the rich strike”.
On September 15th, 1901, The Salt Lake Mining Review reported: “On last Sunday a rich body of ore was uncovered at the third level of the Copper Stain, some 300 feet down where they had been drifting in for the vein, and in making a blast they opened up a very rich body of ore in which the gold is plainly visible. The owners of this property are thoroughly opening it up before putting on a mill. W.H. Dana is in charge. Mr. Dana cane in (to town) Thursday night and expects to leave for a few days for a visit to his home in the east, but will return in a few weeks”.
On October 3rd, 1901, the Mining Reporter reported that: “The owners of the Copper Stain mine are preparing to add new machinery and additional equipment to their property as a result of the rich strike made a short time since.”
On December 2nd, 1901, The Sunday Oregonian (Portland) reported that: “Owing to the richness and scope of the ore body recently uncovered at the Copper Stain Mine, a property in the course of development in the Mount Reuben District, the owners have concluded to install a 10 stamp mill and other machinery. Major J.A. Connelly of Springfield, Illinois, one of the principal owners, has just reurned from a visit at the Copper Stain and reports that everything is showing up well and looks good to him. The mine will be connected by wagon road with the main highway of Northern Josephine County. When the new machinery is installed at this promising property, it will at once leap into the front rank of Southern Oregon bullion producers”.
On December 14th, 1901, the Eugene Register Guard reported that: “A 10 stamp mill and other machinery is to be installed in the Copper Stain mine, near Grants Pass”. The December 6th, 1901, The Corvallis Gazette carried the same report.
Also on December 14th, 1901, The Mining and Scientific Press reported: “The owners of the Copper Stain Mine in the Mount Reuben District, north of Grants Pass, have concluded to install a 10 Stamp Mill and other machinery. J.A. Connelly of Springfield, Illinois, one of the principal owners, who has just returned from a visit to the mine, reports that a wagon road will be built to take the new machinery in”.
On December 19th, 1901, the Rogue River Courier reported: “We hear of another big strike at the Copper Stain Mine. The stock owners are very jubilant. They are doing a great amount of development work and the mine is being equipped in fine shape. Other mines in the vicinity are being worked fast as men and steel and powder can drive the tunnels and shafts”.
On January 9th, 1902, the Rogue River Courier reported: “W.H. Dana, manager of the Copper Stain Mine on Mt. Reuben, spent a few days in town last week. Development work is being continued this winter at the mine and it is the intention to put on a 10 Stamp Mill next spring, with other machinery necessary for the profitable operation of the property. A wagon road to the mine will be one of the first improvements made. This mine has been given an exceptionally thorough prospecting and its excellence is an established certainty”.
On January 18th, 1902, The Mining and Scientific Press reported similarly that: “W.H. Dana, manager of the Copper Stain mine on Mount Reuben, near Grants Pass, states development work is being continued and it is the intention to put on a 10 stamp mill next Spring. A wagon road to the mine will be one of the first improvements made”.
On May 3rd, 1902, The Mining and Scientific Press reported “In the Copper Stain mine, near Leland, it is stated by Supt. Dana that the ledge where it is tapped with the long tunnel, about 300 feet down, is larger and richer than ever. The company will build 6 or 7 miles of wagon road to get the necessary machinery to the mine”.
On May 15th, 1902, the Rogue River Courier reported: “We saw some parties from the Copper Stain Mine recently. They showed us some rich rock that came from the mine. The rock had pieces of gold mixed through the quartz”.
On November 27th, 1902, the Rogue River Courier reported: “C.D. Burnett came up from the Copper Stain mine. He reports busy times at Mount Reuben”.
On April 23rd, 1903, the Mining Reporter reported that: “The Copper Stain mine, the property of Dana Bros., on Mount Reuben, is to be sold in the immediate future. The buyers of this property are likewise unknown. The Copper Stain has been in process of development for a number of years past, and has been systematically and thoroughly opened up. The mine will be equipped this summer with a ten-stamp mill and other machinery”.
On June 18th, 1903, the Rogue River Courier reported: “Mrs. Susie Lawrence Dana of Springfield, Illinois, arrived here last week and on Thursday went to the Copper Stain Mine to visit the property, in company with manager W.H. Dana”.
On July 10th, 1903, the Rogue River Courier reported: “The Copper Stain Mine owners have arrived from Illinois. They are engaged in surveying a wagon road from Leland to Mount Reuben. A large force of men will be needed as soon as surveying is done to construct the road. The road will be built on an easy grade. The Copper Stain, as soon as the wagon road is completed, will erect a mill. We don't mean a small mill as the ledge is large and well developed. The owners have plenty of money to to put up a big plant”.
On April 3rd, 1903, the Rogue River Courier reported: “We hear good reports from the Copper Stain mine. They have rich ore in sight and plenty of it. We will compare the Copper Stain with the Gold Bug. After the Gold Bug had tapped its ledge at the greatest depth, it struck very rich rock with a large ore body. Now the Copper Stain has the same kind and character of rock with just as extensive a deposit. As this will come in the jurisdiction of Leland, we are all right for another good mine. The development of a few of the mining properties of this character in this vicinity will make Leland a town of considerable importance”.
The Mineral Resources of Oregon reported in 1903 that “(The) Copper Stain— Property of Dana Bros. Opened to a depth of 500 feet by tunnels and a shaft which makes a total of 2500 feet of workings. A steam hoist is used in the development, and a ten- stamp mill has been installed”.
The Mining Reporter reported on April 23, 1903 that: “The Copper Stain mine, the property of Dana Bros., on Mount Reuben, is also to be sold in the immediate future. The buyers of this property are likewise unknown. The Copper Stain has been in process of development for a number of years past, and has been systematically and thoroughly opened up. The mine will be equipped this summer with a ten-stamp mill and other machinery”.
The Mining & Scientific Press of Oct 8, 1904 reported: “The Copper Stain group of claims, in Mt. Reuben district, is being developed under management of W. H. Dana. The vein is in diorite. The ledge is 2 feet in width with quartz giving mill returns of $15 in gold. From the several levels are over 2000 feet of drifting. The mine is owned by Springfield, Illinois men”.
On August 20th, 1905, the Rogue River Courier reported: “Mrs. E.W. Dana of Springfield, Illinois, one of the principal owners of the Copper Stain mine on Mount Reuben, has arrived in Grants Pass to look after her mining interests. The Copper Stain is a promising prospect which was worked with a Tremain mill for a period. The owners will have the ground patented, the area comprising four full claims”.
On September 8th, 1905, the Rogue River Courier reported that: “There, is a report here that the Copper Stain mine, has been sold.”
On November 17th, 1905, the Rogue River Courier reported: “H.G. Moulton of Moulton & Rhodes, returned Sunday from Mt. Reuben District, where he and his partner have been doing extensive mineral surveying and also on Whiskey Creek. One of their principal jobs was the surveying of the seven claims owned by the Copper Stain Mining Company.”
On January 11th, 1908, the Mining World reported: “A voluminous document, which is the papers of patent issued by the United States Land Ofice, and bearing the signature of Theodore Roosevelt, has been received and placed on record in the Josephine County recording office, granting to Suzanne Lawrence Dana of Chicago, full patent rights to the famous old Copper Stain group of claims on Mount Reuben. The properties of this group are the Copper Stain, Golden Hope, Rabbit Foot, Redeemer, Susie, Thirteenth and Elbertina. The Copper Stain has been under development and operation for ten years, and is one of the leading quartz properties of the Mount Reuben District”.
In 1914, the Oregon Bureau of Mines reported that: “The Copper Stain Group is not far from the Gold Bug in the Mount Reuben District. It consists of 7 claims owned by Mrs. S.L. Dana, of Springfield, Illinois. The main adit is caved at the portal, but may be entered through stopes reaching the surface. The ore is white quartz with some pyrite, and free gold in a few samples. As at the Gold Bug, that part of the ore which is stained by copper minerals is said to be the richest in gold. The country rock, at least near the vein, seems to be largely serpentine. There has been no work done here for several years. The equipment (now incomplete) consisted of a Tremayne 2 Stamp Mill with a crusher, a 3 by 10 foot amalgamating plate and a “cannon-ball” amalgamator”.
The Mineral Resources of Oregon, Volume 2 (1916), reported exactly as above, but added that “Some work is now being done at the property in preparation to operate again”.
In 1947, Geologist Elton Youngberg reported on the Copper Stain in some detail, noting that: “The property was first worked at about the same time (as the nearby) Saint Patrick and the J.C.L. Mines were active in the early 1900's. Mr. Davis worked the property for a time, apparently with some success. At his death, the result of a mine accident, the property was closed. In the early 1930's Mr. K. Dean Butler leased the property from Mrs. Susan Z. Lawrence (Dana) of Springfield, Illinois. Butler installed an amalgamation and concentrating plant and re-opened the mine. He operated the property for a short time and closed down, reportedly because of the inability of the plant to recover gold values. The shaft was allowed to fill with water and the mine has been idle since that time”
Compiled by Kerby Jackson, November 2015

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad it's more than a little out of my price range. That's some beautiful country in that area. I haven't been up there for almost 4 decades now! :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread