What is a good and cheap gold recoverer?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good...AND cheap?:icon_scratch:
Do you mean a sluice? Or a pan?
Are you talking fine gold recovery? Blue bowl or miller table?

OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something like a blue bowl to separate the black sand from the gold once I sluice it

OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never seen one of them do u use it like a normal pan?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like ratled said.. it's made by Falcon https://www.google.com/search?q=falcon+finish+pan&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
the motion is a little different get it to one side like normal then tip it forward to get the water over the material then rock it forward and get just the black sand to move, once some of the black sand off you can dip it to get that little bit out of the pan then keep doing that, it takes some finesse and patience.
when all I have left is gold I set it on top of the cable box to dry out.

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A pan and learning how to tap.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
each person does it a little different I rock it, some people dip it,
then there's the bump and tap and what Doc call's the Georgia swirl

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why it works so well I just know it does. Nothing else work like it. I only use the smooth one.

If you are just feeding a hand sluice and have those cons at the end of the day you really don't NEED much else. Get into the larger dredges etc then you may WANT something else to help process the cons. This is my recommendation:

Classify your cons into say +#8 screen or similar Dredge Sales, Dive Equipment, Mining Supplies and Metal Detectors - ArmadilloMining.com

You can hand pick those or pan

Classify the remaining stuff to +20 or similar (a kitchen colander works from a thrift store) Dredge Sales, Dive Equipment, Mining Supplies and Metal Detectors - ArmadilloMining.com and pan the larger stuff off.

Run a magnet like this (or a DIY one) Dredge Sales, Dive Equipment, Mining Supplies and Metal Detectors - ArmadilloMining.com over the smaller stuff to pull all of the ferrous stuff out. This will make the remaining stuff a little more free flowing.

Pan that off until you have a very small amount of material left. Pick out what you can while you can. Use the finishing pan for the real fine stuff. I do about 1 Tablespoon at time and hit with the magnet before using it.

Practice with it awhile and you will amaze yourself how fast you can actually do it for clean gold... not like the stuff on Friday night TV.

Here is a better picture of one next to a Proline pan. The gold hasn't been cleaned yet, just about to hit it with the magnet when this shot was taken.

If you WANT an added a step look up Henry Henrys or Poop tube sluices on You Tube... and then do these steps

ratled

P1000784.JPG

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look up Henry Henrys or Poop tube sluices on You Tube... and then do these steps View attachment 1250016

Now there's a name that I haven't hears in decades :) We used to have dinner with Henry and his wife at the UPI outings back in the day when the sky was bleu... lol

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Along with the finishing pan you could also make a small miller table too.
Harbor Freight has a selection of cheap pumps, 12v and 120v.

After you build your miller table you can also build your own blue bowl, you will already have a pump from the miller table.

DIY stuff is how most of us stretch our dollars.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's a name that I haven't hears in decades :) We used to have dinner with Henry and his wife at the UPI outings back in the day when the sky was bleu... lol
It's amazing how folks have been through UPI over the years.

Merry Christmas

ratled

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how folks have been through UPI over the years.

Merry Christmas

ratled

Yea I was with UPI for a long time but we only went to the outings here out of Red Dog when they had a claim there. I don't remember what happened with that claim and they used to work Greenhorn at the outings but there was some conflict with other claim or property owners in the area. They were really active here back in the late 80's to mid 00's and I still see them here and there but I haven't gone to a UPI outing since probably 95 :)

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
use a second pan (doesn't need to be a pan, actually, just something large enough to pan and hold water).
make a sucker bottle (drugstore: hair coloring bottle, surgical tubing)
learn to do the tap, after gold is seperated, suction it up, most black sand will be gone.
add some dish soap (or Jet Dri) to the water of your safety pan to stop the ultrafine flour from floating.
pan the concentrate from your sucker bottle, then dry it and run a magnet over it. don't need to buy a fancy mag, just a rare earth one from most hardware stores, but put it in a plastic baggy over it so you don't wind up with a lot of magnetite on your mag.

or (looking over my shoulder for eco-nazis) get some merc!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A set of classifier screens will help you to recover the vast majority of all the gold in your concentrates. When only like sized material is panned or otherwise processed the gold is easily separated from the waste material. 30, 50 and 100 mesh screens will do the job. Pan or process the sized material separately and it is best to do about tablespoon quantities for anything smaller than 30 mesh when using a gold pan.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread