its ok to pee on my grave

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have some concerns which some of you may help clear up. Recently I received an email from someone about American Mining Rights Association.. It contained there 990 ez.. Now the person who sent me the email had some questions in the Information presented.. Their first concern was that none of the Raffles and Fundraising events were reported. Also he was not aware of the actual dates this 990ez form was meant to include.. Jan1 2014 - to Dec 31 2014? Or does it include part of 2015 as well?
Also one of the questions asked of me was how to tell where his donations went? Or where did the money go for the raffles he bought for Amra Fundraising. Also he asked me what part of the 990ez showed the contirbutions Amra has made to the Mining community? His intention was to support the dredging case here in California.. Now he wonders if his money or the Raffles tickets he bought were given to that cause.. And since The 990 ez shows no Raffles and Fundraising events I too share his concern.. He has been participating in AMRA raffles before AMRA even got there non profit status.. No records at the Attorney General office shows any info on these Raffles that AMRA has engaged in.. Even though over 2014 and 2015 Amra has supposebly been donated Guns and dredges gold and many many other things.. According to AMRA these Items were donated by individuals and businesses. Where are the information on these Raffles? how much earned where the money go? I have yet to be able to track down any info regarding AMRA Fundraising events.. Not in 2014 not in 2015.. Anyway in truth for me that email raised allot of questions and the more I looked the more questions I had...

Anyway I was hoping that maybe some of you had some insight that may help me put my mind at ease and others.

I am also wondering on AMRA claims? Are they AMRA Claims? Does AMRA only get claims thru Donations? Are there records of these donations? Does AMRA own the MINERAL RIGHTS or are they Leasing these claims from private claim holders? Is it as simple as me saying AMRA members can use my claim? Does the actual claim holder hold any responsibilities to the Public in donating their claim for AMRA use? Are Claims Owners Compensated for there Donations at all? Maybe a free Membership to the Club? Or a tax right off? Or is a simple go ahead and use my claim to support AMRA good enough? Also when AMRA Directors stake claims for AMRA members do they as an individual own the rights to the Minerals or is it the entity that owns the rights? I have yet to see any claims staked under the AMRA association.. So is it ok for AMRA to use funds to stake claims under the names of individuals on the AMRA Board of Directors? Are AMRA funds being used to purchase claims for individuals? Even if they allow AMRA members to use the claim the mineral rights still belong to the individual so are they profiting by using Non profit resources to purchase themselves Mineral Rights?

It is not my intention to accuse anyone of illegal or wrong doing. I am just looking to find answers to questions I have been unable to find.. A vast majority of Non Profits put allot of Emphasis on Transparency and it makes life so much easier not just for the donors but the Non Profit Org itself n truth when it comes to AMRA all I get is questions and dead ends..

So I ask your help in you helping me understand some of the questions I have brought up and any other imput one might have in regards to this topic..

Attachments

• 462375557_201412_990EZ.pdf
    636.1 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not go to the horses mouth Victor, Shannon has always been a open book.

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a public place. He is more then welcome to weigh in put things in the light or too perspective. But I am not just interested in what just Shannon has to say.. Quite a few people on this forum who may have useful thoughts input that I hope to hear from..

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks fine, this is for the last reporting year from jan 31st 2014 to jan 31st 2015
they receive more than 66% from membership dues, not sure they have to itemize donations
if they are a small organization and qualify to file the 990ez, could be they are itemized with the state DOJ charitable activity's division?
some of the prizes for their fundraising are donations from the manufacturer to the winner maybe?

I do know a lot of what they do is get people to and from the court dates with gas and food
the claims are done the same as most other club's claims and put in the names of the club officers.

I see them doing a lot with very little, if you are a member I'm sure they would be glad to let you look at their books.
I run a member based 501c(3) (housing) I know its not easy, you have take care of what you can as money comes in
and if you're short its the executive officers that are responsible for making up the difference.
I don't see how they can do it on what's coming in, I will be sending something to help out next month...

(edit) they are registered with the DOJ and registered to hold raffles
you can search here for AMERICAN MINING RIGHTS ASSOCIATION DOJ search

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they have certain members that prospect and locate claims. I have been to a few personally (they weren't very good) as a guest. I haven't looked at the county files to see who is the claimant on paper. Since I know several members and the locations of several claims I will look into that aspect out of curiosity. I met Shannon at the hearings at the capitol. He is very smart and seems to have a lot of integrity. I see for a fact that he is definitely sticking his neck out for others on a regular basis. He definetly must be wearing some reinforced froot of the looms. And is the sort of person we need on our side. Due to the way that politics and environmental groups work in our state I seriously doubt he is running the organization in a way that would take from anyone and would not jeopardize the non profit. I'm pretty sure that several of the original claims are his personal claims and a few belong to his friends. I feel that he is very generous in opening up his claims to others and it is noteworthy that he would open himself up to the liability and responsibility that he has by doing what he does.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a public place. He is more then welcome to weigh in put things in the light or too perspective. But I am not just interested in what just Shannon has to say.. Quite a few people on this forum who may have useful thoughts input that I hope to hear from..

You should take into consideration that he isn't a member of tnet. I'M on my phone and on vacation. I am trying to figure out how to send him a link to this thread right now

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I am not an amra member

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Me either, but our group did donate some pieces, and then they purchased some pieces and all were given away at the fundraiser.I know that for a fact because I was there as a volunteer. Not all items are given to them, but sold at a reduced price. We wanted to donate because of the tireless work that Shannon has done, and his bulldog tenacity in trying to preserve our mining rights. I also witnessed the presentation of a 5000 dollar check to support the Brandon Rhinehart, and a 2500 dollar check to Craig Lindsay of the WMA for their legal fight.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wasn't going to tell you but I've already peed on your grave and your dog Victor so I guess we're all good? :laughing7:

Those are valid questions. A lot of them are best answered by the AMRA itself. In particular the questions about how they deal with claims and claims expenses might have interesting answers but I wouldn't expect to see that reflected in their 990 filings.

This is a late filing for their first year (2014) not the current filing for 2015. They don't state when their corporate year starts so we don't know just what the reporting period is.

Leigh (the Director of Land Matters) is an accountant specializing in forensic audits of non-profit organizations so I'll run these 990s by her to see what she thinks. I wouldn't expect that a nonprofit organization with a budget of less than $40,000 had to report very much detail at all. That's a very small organization.

As far as the raffles you wouldn't look at a Federal filing for those numbers. Raffles are all about State laws. In California the Attorney General keeps a register of approved raffle charities and it looks like the AMRA just recently registered there but have never filed any raffle reports. The Attorney General is supposed to get those registrations and raffle reports annually but I don't see where their records are showing any past filings.

You can look up the Charitable Raffle registry and reports HERE.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
https://americanminingrights.com/amra-outing-may-31st-june-1st/
The first place I looked.. Is the Attorney generals.. I have yet to see anything about any raffle events that Amra Put on in 2014.. But this the link that was presented to me for reference that in fact a raffle did take place.. Also it states that in 2014 they were selling AMRA merchandise. I see no evidence of the income for 2014 from merchandise. Ho many Fundraisers did AMRA put on in 2014 to support their cause. But in truth I am more interested in the politics of the Mining Claims... As far as claims are concerned I am somewhat curious on how the mining Claims and legalities and how Non profits Mix? Just can't say I find allot of info in this regards..
I suspect I may hear from AMRA and they may enlighten me and I wish they would. But as it stands for me things just aint adding up..

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A raffle is a type of lottery in which prizes are awarded to people who pay for a chance to win.
Only “eligible organizations” (nonprofit tax-exempt organizations that have been registered in California for at least one year) may legally conduct raffles in California. An organization that intends to conduct a raffle must first submit a raffle registration form, Form CT-NRP-1, and a filing fee with the California
Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts, at least 60 days before the scheduled date of the raffle. The registration period for conducting raffles is September 1 through August 31 annually. The organization must receive written confirmation of registration before conducting any raffle activities, including the selling of raffle tickets.

Additionally, the organization must file a disclosure report, Form CT-NRP-2, for all raffles conducted during the reporting year. The disclosure report is due on or before October 1. Precise record-keeping is required as reports that include estimates of proceeds and expenses will not be accepted for filing. If a raffle is a part of a larger fundraising event, the organization has an obligation to keep the accounting of the raffle proceeds and expenses separate from the larger event.

California law also prescribes rules for the operation of raffles. Each ticket must be sold with a detachable coupon or stub that is marked with a unique and matching identifier. Winners of the prizes must be determined by draw, and the raffle must be conducted under the supervision of a natural person age 18 or older. Additionally, at least 90 percent of the gross receipts from raffle ticket sales must be used by the organization to benefit or support charitable or beneficial purposes in California. Groups are prohibited from awarding raffle prizes by use of a gaming machine, apparatus, or device such as a slot machine. A raffle cannot be advertised, operated, or conducted over the internet. However, the organization conducting the raffle may place an announcement of a raffle on its website.

Am I correct to assume this information is current and legit?

I can not find any information on the Attorney Generals registry in regards to Raffles that AMRA has done . Not in 2014 not in 2015.. Maybe I am using the search wrong ..

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:BangHead: :violent1: :dontknow: ........and the implosion continues! Wonder how many Sierra Fund supporters have pulled Izzy and her organizations tax records?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead: :violent1: :dontknow: ........and the implosion continues! Wonder how many Sierra Fund supporters have pulled Izzy and her organizations tax records?

They violate their status constantly and nothing is done they have been reported even and nothing

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Id like to see these wacoenviromentalists N.F.P. status verified and go after these groups that violate their status. JAIL the violators and FINE the heck out of them out of EXSISTANCE! Then and only then will these wacos STOP their push for "their agenda"!!!! I was sent some info of these wacos that protested here in Missouri and around our Country about who printed their posters. it had a web address and it was for a communist group wanting a revolt across America! Ill leave the rest of this up to you to decide , BUT for me it is scarey!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my opinion AMRA should be more communicative about their finances. The small size of their organization and the fact that it's all volunteer doesn't make it easy for them to spend time answering questions about the specifics of the money flow through their organization. They should reconsider the value of transparency in their efforts. It's important that they make it clear just what they are accomplishing, particularly when they are questioned in a direct manner.

I'm not sure what your objective is Marshall? Questioning their finances is all well and good but there seems to be an implication that they are doing something wrong. I'm not a supporter of AMRA myself but challenging a nonprofit's finances is a far cry from disagreeing with their goals. It might be more productive to discuss AMRA's goals or purpose publicly rather than challenge their honesty.

These folks evidently do believe in what they are doing and there doesn't appear to be any effort to enrich themselves. It appears they are a very small nonprofit that doesn't really have a clue about the details of running a nonprofit. Even so we have evidence right here on this thread that they are giving funds to support dredging causes. Since that appears to be their goal I'm not sure what complaint there could be except that you may not agree with their goal?

The majority of nonprofits are of little value in my opinion. Luckily I have the choice as to which organizations I support. If enough people support a nonprofit they may succeed, with good management. If people don't support them they fail. It's the natural way of life to expect that nonprofit organizations supporting popular causes may be better at promoting that cause than they are at running a nonprofit corporation.

It looks like AMRA may have messed up on their raffles from what little we know. That doesn't make them a bad organization but it does show they may be bad managers. Eventually the raffle thing may take more effort to fix than what's going into helping dredging. That's just one of the reasons why I don't support AMRA, lack of competence to succeed at their goal. I have several other reasons but this thread shouldn't be turned into a beat up on AMRA thread just because you have questions about their 990ez form.

On to the AMRA 990ez form itself. Leigh has looked it over and can't find any information there that seems out of whack for an organization their size. The report is not very complete or very clear but it exceeds the reporting requirements. Since AMRA didn't have receipts in excess of $50,000 last year they weren't even required to report on the 990ez form. They only had to file a 990n which is basically just a statement that they still exist. That they went beyond the requirements might be an indication of an effort to inform their supporters or it might just be a misunderstanding of the IRS requirements. I'll let AMRA address that if they choose to.

Nonprofit organizations succeed or fail based on public support. The public doesn't like to support nonprofits that aren't transparent in their finances. Cause based nonprofits like AMRA may succeed for a while based on support for their cause but once the cause goes away or they don't show progress the organization is likely to fail. An open, transparent nonprofit organization that fulfills it's mission has the best chance for long term success. AMRA may need to reconsider their goals, up their game in achieving those goals and put more effort into explaining their use of donated funds.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I find it very ironic that MM has bragged about being a non tax payer,

"Well the way I see it I find it inspiring to find people who are willing to do the extra work to make a tax free dollar. IT's hard to earn a real living today without beining taxed so there are a few of us who choose different avenues, I prefer gold always some one will trade or buy straight out.. and less legal ramifications maybe I get fined big deal good luck finding any documented income heck ill never pay anyway!! Much better than paying taxes then complaing about it.."

,would be in such a uproar over a non profit using a EZ tax form, versus submitting long form. I find no inquiries on AMRA's facebook or website from you but perhaps I missed them???? If you have valid concerns, call them, someone will respond. (209) 878-3910

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions