good price for nuggets

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Can you post a picture of them? The guys here know their stuff on priceing of gold! Ive often wondered about the various sizes of gold and their prices myself and never could get a good answer. dust / fine gold is what percentage of the value of the current market and the the bigger the gold gets what could a person expect to get (what percentage ?)for it?? and then the big gold that has a unique shape , what could a person expect to get for it?? Now I don't have that problem at all. I sold all my gold to the club I used to belong to before the broke up and dissolved everything! BUT I was just wondering!

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nuggets on eBay are typically market price + 25- 30%. Calculating that your gold runs 22Kt, 9 grams would be 280 + 25%= 70, so roughly $350.00

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger they are and their looks predicate price always. I like rough gnarly quartzy for looks as specimens but most folks just see quartz and not gold. A willing seller and a willing buyer is never more present than in gold sales. Pics mandatory. John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
All "value" is subjective. It doesn't matter if you're selling gold or a car. The spot prices for gold are based on 24K which you'll never see in a raw nugget. Even so, if the nugget has "Character" you can still get a price higher then the current spot if you're marketing it to the right buyer(s). If there's still matrix material with it a specimen collector is your best bet. If it's really gnarly and rough a jeweler that makes nugget jewelry would be a better bet for getting a good price. How much a buyer is willing to pay for it will depend on what he/she wants it for.

Like the other guys said, clear pictures of the pieces in question would go a long way towards helping you figure out a ROUGH value.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nuggets need to be at least 4-grams each to begin to draw a premium. Pickers and flake gold bring 75% - Full Spot depending on the buyer.

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everything these guys have said.

It seems people flip out for the pieces that can be shown to look like an animal… be it a duck, lizard, etc.

Small nuggets that can be paired up into earring pairs should fetch a premium. It can be pretty difficult to find two pieces that are similar enough to make a pair.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local pawn shop price, spot but at 18K scrap price, so you end up at less than $20 a gram
friend price is $35-$40 a gram depending on quality, I like river worn other people like finds close to the source specimens.
I like to sell on eBay, to get the best price piece them out, calculate them out at $55 a gram,
an example would be if you have a 1/3rd gram nugget and sell it for $18.50
you can search eBay for gold nuggets then to the right of the search box click "advanced" choose "completed listings"
to see what some people ask and what they sell for. to sell as bulk 9g would be less than $300 compared to around $450 minus shipping and fees.
to get jewelry price you would have to make them into something, like put them on a clasp? or know someone that makes jewelry and really needs them.

Last edited:

Canuck

Aug 2, 2012
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
T

Tuolumne

eBay you lose 10% or more in fees...alot of people list nuggets but selling at 50$ gram is a hard sell....

I will buy at spot all day long

Bring it to my office in Cupertino and I will X-ray florescence and tell you the gold content and any other heavy elements inside as well...

I've got a collector guy who will buy 1/4 ozt and above for spot + 15-20% but he is picky and doesn't want matrix or quartz attached

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
For the limited amount of gold ive gotten over the years my best place to sell it was to club members for ease and $$ ! Not enough to go through the hassle of ebay and fees and Taxs ,etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions