Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh Area 1 was so so good to me already. With a little research and some luck, she just kinda rolled over and gave herself up to me as I found the mine within a few hours of boots on the ground. With our very wet December (rain 27 out of 31 days) I doubt access is very good there right now and the perfect time to find a backup area. I had been researching and watching for a weather window for awhile and cold and clear is about as good as it gets…and if it follows a few dry days, even better. No wind and on a holiday on uncertain grounds? Trifecta!

And so it was to be and as luck of the Irish would have it, I found my Area 2 during a recent research marathon. Reports showed Area 2 to contain old and long time lode and placer AU claims till the 90’s when they were apparently shut down/run off by the FS/land act of some kind (apparently I say as I’m no expert yet but since the FS permanently barricaded the entrance and said they would open it during certain months and never did, I’m pretty certain of who owns it now.)

Anyway, I hit up my neighbor and prospecting buddy John to go with me, as the hike in showed to be at least moderate and a little less than two miles. This was according to the old GPS and its very short life battery and the maps I had printed out beforehand. We set a departure time for 11 am on 1/1/16 as the temps should be above freezing by then and would include a bonus bit of sun in the early pm. I packed light but included my poor man’s BGT just in case. It can be a bit awkward hiking with a 3 foot sluice strapped vertically to a pack but horizontally does NOT work at all I’ve found.

We set out on the road which quickly became a path and digressed from there. We saw recent (very recent) human activity and some old holes that had been dug. But nothing that even whispered dig here. So our packs never came of our backs. So how did it go you ask? I think I said it best when I drug my tired butt in late that afternoon and mustered this synopsis of the excursion and pm’d it to my buddy Jeff in AZ. Re reading it now, I can’t think of any better way to say it. It sums up not only my trip but others who have been down the golden path to nowhere as well…

"Breaking News...

Area 2 was a bust. Absolutely no evidence, no equipment and pretty sure we didn't find it or where it was or supposed to be. We were still a good distance both vert and horz from the river when the trail just kinda went away. These claims were worked hard in the early 90's but all invisible as far as we got and could tell.... but we were not near the river yet, altho we could see it from there. Pretty sure the GPS got us close but no cigar. And towards the end, serious bush wacking...even in the dead of winter and maximum visibility, still restricted to 100 feet or less for every 5 minutes. Probably won't be going back but John got a tip from a local on a new spot when I stopped for a pint. LoL. John is not one to give up ya know…he’s mostly Indian and you wouldn’t believe the **** he gave me when I accused him of getting us lost. JK as the guy knows his **** in the outdoors. He knows where he is all the time, where the sap is in a dead pine, what you can eat and can’t, medicinal…a walking outdoor encyclopedia so yeah I feel good going out with him…even if he does only pack a 22 so I pack my 40. In fact, he was the only one who came home with a prize. He collected a gallon or so of chanterelle mushrooms that he stuck in his hoodie and brought home for dinner."

And so it goes, back to research and the putter. And what did I give up? Only my faithful and trusty 97 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab 3 door long bed. Sold her this after noon. Bought her new and cared for her ever since and had the records to prove it. I found her when she was just a year old with only 714 miles, sitting in the front row of the Anch AK Toyota used car lot??? Not to mention a matching glass shell AND over size tires already installed AND it was 25K when all else in the Anch area was 33K and up! So yeah, total score and love...lots of feelings and memories. I brought my Sheppard/Husky mix Kobuk (I got him the same year as my truck) from AK to FL and my chocolate lab Cocoa from FL to CA. I’ve been with that truck longer than any…well you get the idea. So we're a one SUV family now. I know it was the right decision but still hurts a bit...much like a divorce or two of mine. I say a final goodbye to…

1.jpg

Oh and BTW, I did get top $ for her so when I feel bad, I just rub that fat stack and feel just a little bit better each time. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you may not have found the mine you were looking for, but at least you were able to get out of the house for a bit and keep the "Cabin fever" at bay a little longer. I do kind of wish you had told me you were going to be selling the truck. I'd have picked it up in a heartbeat.

I printed out that five part homework assignment I sent ya and it came out at 17 pages with double sided printing. That one is worth going into the research book(s) for future reference for sure. I'll be sending more as I come across them. I've still got a ton of back issues to dig through, so be ready to use the winter down time to up your game bud!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff, glad to hear that you got the truck sold! :occasion14:

Does this mean you get some new equipment? 8-)

My truck is off the road for the winter, but come spring I'll wake it
up and ready things for a trip down south.

Not sure how I'd feel about a 2 mile hike that ended in bupkis..but
then at least now you know where that trail goes, and that there's
a Chanterelle patch...any mushroom buyers in your area? :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mike. John catches and keeps all he gathers so no need for a buyer. In fact, he's already been back for a second harvest!

Speaking of buyer, going thru a little seller remorse here (which Karen shares) on being suddenly pick up less. Checked out a local Craig's list and found something close by that looks promising. Soo, tomorrow morning I'll be looking at a 2 wheel drive 91 Ford Ranger reg cab with bucket seats, V6/auto, 95K miles for less than the 1300 asking price. Since I spent the last 11 years of employment driving one of those old Rangers, definitely know what to look for. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions