Intro to my little gold show. What do ya think?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liked and sub'ed!!!:thumbsup:

ratled

OP
OP
A

AGP

Dec 1, 2015
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
4 inch Dredge
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do I make the YouTube video appear in the post, instead of a link?

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It does appear in the post on our end.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess my question is why would you spend thousands of dollars to find a few flakes of gold on a weekend?

OP
OP
A

AGP

Dec 1, 2015
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
4 inch Dredge
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it isn't about a few flakes of gold at all. It is all about the fun, excitement, adventure and the people I meet along the way.
I guess my question is why would you spend thousands of dollars to find a few flakes of gold on a weekend?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me, gold prospecting is about turning a profit. If you want to go play in the woods more power to you.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool video , Iv'e made money so the adventure is what I'm looking for , but making it pay is all the better . I hear where your coming from ! maybe the only thing I have yet to make money from but hey , we all need a hobie right . So a little gold in New england is better than some other hobie that has no return what so ever .:thumbsup:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AGP, great video. Well produced, the music was good and it made me want to know more about every single scene and person/activity in the video. I can't wait to see the show!

I'll offer my thoughts Terry, since you asked the question: I'm a "recreational prospector" and I think that's different than what you are, Terry. I use prospecting as a form of recreation, like some use golf or sailing or fishing or whatever. To do what I enjoy I have to spend some money, just like a golfer, a sailor or a fisherman.

I've golfed, sailed, fished and I think gold prospecting as a hobby/recreational activity is better because I personally enjoy the outdoors, the "hunt" for something elusive and the adventure/excitement of occasionally finding it. In 2015 alone I visited Massachusetts, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado and Arizona for prospecting field trips (in addition to my "home territory" of PA and NJ, where there's very little gold) so I visited places I otherwise would have never seen. And the fact that theoretically this hobby could return something to me is even more exciting, though the monetary reward is nothing compared to the fun of just doing it. "...the journey and not the destination..."

I'm not sure what your question was trying to accomplish, though your subsequent comment about "...turning a profit..." is pretty clear. I respect that and wish you luck in your prospecting; I hope you'll leave a little gold for those of us that just want to find a little color once in a while.

- Brian

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose I am upset by folks that seem to be promoting recreational gold prospecting as a way to make cash. It is a way to LOSE cash - period. Sure, it's manly and an adventure - for a week or two. So is digging irrigation ditches - for which you'll be paid a lot more in two weeks than you would prospecting for the same amount of time on the East Coast!

If you take the money these folks spend on a wetsuit and dredge, and just buy gold bullion with it, you'll be WAY ahead. If you want adventure, all you need is a shovel, a classifier, a bucket and a gold pan.

OP
OP
A

AGP

Dec 1, 2015
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
4 inch Dredge
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got it all wrong, at least in my case. I work 45-50 hours a week at my job all year. I get 3 weeks vacation a year. I choose on my own free will to spend that 3 weeks a year dredging for a few flakes of gold. It's not for profit at all, it is for fun, a vacation. I don't want to spend my 3 weeks off of work trying to make a profit as well as the other folks in the video. If you prospect full time for a living I can see your point. But If you do I'm sure you take a vacation from prospecting and do something else for fun for a week or two.
I suppose I am upset by folks that seem to be promoting recreational gold prospecting as a way to make cash. It is a way to LOSE cash - period. Sure, it's manly and an adventure - for a week or two. So is digging irrigation ditches - for which you'll be paid a lot more in two weeks than you would prospecting for the same amount of time on the East Coast!

If you take the money these folks spend on a wetsuit and dredge, and just buy gold bullion with it, you'll be WAY ahead. If you want adventure, all you need is a shovel, a classifier, a bucket and a gold pan.

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we all seek adventure , I am an adenalin junky . Iv'e done the down hill mountain biking , way before it was a recognized , raced motorcycles , snowmobiles etc . Iv'e done about everything , and some things not on my bucket list . I have never found any gold that I would call other than a shade of color , now with the old broken body , thats what I'm looking for . In the shape I'm in , I could never expect to turn a cash profit to suport my family , with that being said , I have been self employed for my whole life . Being self employed has given me the free time when I wanted to do things most people never get to do , so this is my time for finding gold . My wife and children , have always supported me in my endevers , and even joined in , in many of them . The point is some of us see this as recreational gold mining and others see this as there financial sucess , either way , do what you want , to be happy , no harm , no foul . Just saying there is no difference between buy a 50,000 dollar camper or the fishing , hunting , bikes ,snowmobiles ,ETC to enjoy the outdoors , to many people are stuck sitting in front of the TV , computor ,etc never taking time to get outdoors . I say live and let live , be legal and all is good .

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like your intro. Great editing, equipment and scenes.

I don't get the negative comments. I have never made a profit looking for native gold, but had a wonderful time trying. I clearly remember every nugget that I found and every deer that I have missed. On my death bed, I am sure I won't question the time spent in the out of doors.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have a fun style with good clips and sound that is a slick production. I know how much effort and time it takes to edit videos, so congratulations on making a short video that easily grabs people's attention.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AGP

Dec 1, 2015
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
4 inch Dredge
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the positive responses. This is my first time filming, editing and producing. I updated the into since I last check in here. It is now 30 sec longer. I updated it on the first post if you want to re-watch it.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGP, good job! I am a recreational miner just like most. I don't worry about turning a profit what I've spent on gold equipment pales in comparison to what've spent on other hobbies. Like stock-cars, street rods, dirt-bikes, boats the list goes on! Just one of my street rods I have about $ 100,000 in so I think all told I have around $1500.oo in my gold equipment found almost a half ounce this year alone. It's not about the amount it's the thrill of the hunt and all the good people I've met along the way! :hello2:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing we all need to realize , is that we are all miners , some are in it to support them selves and their families and some are in it for fun . The thing is united we stand devided we fall . It's like hunting , oh bow hunting is wrong , this kind of hunting is wrong , trapping is wrong . The point is united we stand devided we fall . It may not before you , but don't judge the rest if you want to have it all down the road . Remember the Anti's are against most everything we all do , they are truely united .

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Obviously, this whole idea of a treasure hunt in nature appeals to everyone on this forum and perhaps to most of the world.

Some are happy to keep their activity on a hobby level. Others enjoy taking it to another level and perhaps all the way to discovering a valuable mineral deposit worth mining. Luckily, there's no law saying you can't travel back and forth between these spectrums.
Panning, sluicing, or even suction dredging for gold in a regulated environment not open to mineral entry is using prospecting techniques without actually prospecting… and is obviously not done for the money.

I think the difference in engagement is largely due to differences in location, personality, time and money invested, and experience in the field.

The prospector model still works and is available to us. Theoretically, one can go out and find his fortune. These days, far fewer will, but it's still possible.
The guy engaging on the hobby level has the worst odds, but luckily, he doesn't care. :laughing7:

OP
OP
A

AGP

Dec 1, 2015
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
4 inch Dredge
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight, Feb 12 at 7pm I will release my 1st episode of American Gold Prospectors on YouTube and A.G.P.'s Facebook page. American Gold Prospectors is a gold prospecting reality tv show about recreational gold prospectors. Keep in mind this is the first time I ever filmed, edited, interviewed people and made a show, so I could really use your help to make it better. Please tell me any ideas you might have to improve the show. Feedback good or bad will be important to make a better show. Thanks and enjoy the show!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread