Problem caused by Land Matters

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, I am about to make my foray into New Mexico from Texas to see if there is any gold there. I have studied the general area and know what to expect. I had my 3 areas picked out and my corner posts made.

But, I am a member of Land Matters and get emails from them each month showing closed claims. Well, the county I am going to had some in the email today. Over 100 placer claims and over 250 lode claims have closed.

So, what am I supposed to do? I have lots of research done, about to go and then Land Matters up and tells me there is lots of land now available to claim. Many of these placers were corporate claims of 160 acres.

Where am I supposed to go and try to claim???? :dontknow: What am I supposed to do now? Thanks a lot , Land Matters.

And in all seriousness, thanks a lot Land Matters. Some of these placer have been claimed and not worked for decades. Gotta be something there. Even if it is New Mexico.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blm.gov has everything you need in a simple to read manual complete with layout pics,process and procedure. Discovery is the first step and just because some have claimed before proves nothing. These 160 acre claims are a good indicator of computer claiming in masse-as a rule of thumb only. Claims manual also at all BLM offices and good to have with you in a legal file as rangers try to force you into bull that's a blatent lie-John-John

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in New Mexico also and I've been watching some stuff.. A lot of land opened up..

Where I was watching it was a company that ties back to an oil exploration company, and they didn't renew any of their piles and piles and piles of claims.
I saw an entire packed section go down to 2 load claims.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I ran into the same "mystery of the disappearing claims" here in Arizona Au-N-Rod. In my case this one guy had formed an assoc, filed claims of 160 acres all over the place in some of the richest ground in the area then dissolved the company. He didn't bother to tell BLM and was holding on to 160 acre claims as an individual. BLM caught up to him after 15 or so years and forced him to downsize all the claims. I saw on the LR2000 that he had done so and when I went to the county records... They didn't have any records showing the adjustment. Turns out he was filing the adjustments with BLM and NOT the county as is required. Took me a few weeks of digging through the records to get that one all figured out. If it hadn't been for a difference between what Land Matters was showing and what the LR2000 showed I'd never have found this area.

EDIT: Better to have a problem of too much land to check out than have areas be claimed up right before you head out!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, I am about to make my foray into New Mexico from Texas to see if there is any gold there. I have studied the general area and know what to expect. I had my 3 areas picked out and my corner posts made.

But, I am a member of Land Matters and get emails from them each month showing closed claims. Well, the county I am going to had some in the email today. Over 100 placer claims and over 250 lode claims have closed.

So, what am I supposed to do? I have lots of research done, about to go and then Land Matters up and tells me there is lots of land now available to claim. Many of these placers were corporate claims of 160 acres.

Where am I supposed to go and try to claim???? :dontknow: What am I supposed to do now? Thanks a lot , Land Matters.

And in all seriousness, thanks a lot Land Matters. Some of these placer have been claimed and not worked for decades. Gotta be something there. Even if it is New Mexico.

You are welcome Au-N-Rod. Thank you for your membership support. :thumbsup:

I've been drooling since I saw that report myself. There is some very good gold ground opening up in New Mexico. That's a very rare opportunity.

Some of those claims have been held since the 30's and 40's. If we are looking at the same area I've gotten good gold near there and one of the claims that was dropped has consistently produced great gold with a shovel in the top 6 inches. :headbang:

Stop by Carrizozo on the way in and check with the County Recorder to see if they have been relocated. PM me if you want to know some good areas to check.

The same report is showing 100's of acres opening up on Rich Hill and Black Canyon in Arizona - well known goldfields. Nevada continues to open up thousands of acres too.

Heavy Pans

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will commiserate with the OP.
Since signing up for the claims advantage service, I am overwhelmed with the amount of claimable ground that is potentially available.
Must resist the urge in order to remain small miner.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is also important to realize that a lot of the claims that are opening up have been pounded to death over the years. Unless you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, grabbing a gold claim because it has been dropped or closed is RISKY.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is also important to realize that a lot of the claims that are opening up have been pounded to death over the years. Unless you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, grabbing a gold claim because it has been dropped or closed is RISKY.
That's why the "prudent man" clause should be taken to heart.

OP
OP
A

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I agree Terry. These large claims I am looking into were all one company. They were just keeping other people out for the most part. A lot of the land has not been worked ( maybe cause there is no gold there). They kept some claims and those are where they have been working.

Rodney.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I see your sarcasm but my serious reply is that it is ultimately on YOU to do due diligence.
My Land Matters is an excellent resource and as HoJo said, the BLM is the horses mouth but the rubber truly meets the road when you are standing in the County recorders office and looking up the claim you want to make sure there is not a new filing.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see your sarcasm but my serious reply is that it is ultimately on YOU to do due diligence.
My Land Matters is an excellent resource and as HoJo said, the BLM is the horses mouth but the rubber truly meets the road when you are standing in the County recorders office and looking up the claim you want to make sure there is not a new filing.

After a few PMs with Au-N-Rod I can assure you he does understand your warning Bonaro and is, in fact, way ahead of both of us. He's been seriously doing his due diligence for quite a while on this project and was just pleasantly surprised that the recently dropped claims confirmed his prior research.

Heavy Pans

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After a few PMs with Au-N-Rod I can assure you he does understand your warning Bonaro and is, in fact, way ahead of both of us. He's been seriously doing his due diligence for quite a while on this project and was just pleasantly surprised that the recently dropped claims confirmed his prior research.

Heavy Pans

Good, then the final action he must take is to post the pics of the gold he found on his new claim!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread