Higher Gold Deposits

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Crevicing bedrock pockets has been my most successful form of prospecting both under the water and out. Most of the time I either snipe under the water in the summer months and hover around the water line during the colder winter months when the water is too cold/ fast to snipe underwater in.

I have friends and know that others work higher areas and do pretty well (usually below the high water line). What I've always wondered was: If over millions of years, the river has been eroding it's way down through the mountains to it's present level. Does that mean that placer gold can be anywhere from the top to the bottom of the canyon?

I know there are other factors that play into where gold can be on a mountain side like ancient river channels, veins, etc... but can there be placer deposits from the current river's historic levels deposited as well? Please help satisfy my curiosity???

Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Besides looking for old benches to mine also look for crevasses, I met a miner back in 1980's that found one that went from one side of the river to the other side, results were a coffee can full of gold. I saw the pics of it. On the Sultan river, ancient benches are all I mine, some are 20ft. from the river others are 400ft.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's just crazy for this old mind to comprehend. A "modern day" miner must learn and understand; ancient river beds and cobble, maps and history. Rust/dark color rocks, outcroppings, benches, drop zones, mineralized rocks, faults, claims, FS rules and regs (among others), protected land, private land, and the list goes on and on. And then dig where no man has dug before to get anywhere. Ugh. I must be nutz. :laughing7: Good thing I love it.:thumbsup:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's just crazy for this old mind to comprehend. A "modern day" miner must learn and understand; ancient river beds and cobble, maps and history. Rust/dark color rocks, outcroppings, benches, drop zones, mineralized rocks, faults, claims, FS rules and regs (among others), protected land, private land, and the list goes on and on. And then dig where no man has dug before to get anywhere. Ugh. I must be nutz. :laughing7: Good thing I love it.:thumbsup:

Yup! You're finally figuring it out!!

All the best,

Lanny

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
How many times have I told you Grasshopper? "Fortune favors the prepared miner!" While we don't have to be experts in all those different fields, it really REALLY helps to have more than a passing knowledge of them. It's also not required to memorize the actual data, just be sure you remember where the heck you can find it when needed again. That's why I keep the small laptop with me in the field.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Besides looking for old benches to mine also look for crevasses, I met a miner back in 1980's that found one that went from one side of the river to the other side, results were a coffee can full of gold. I saw the pics of it. On the Sultan river, ancient benches are all I mine, some are 20ft. from the river others are 400ft.

What size coffee can, they come is so many sizes?

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1 LB. Folgers can. Funny thing is I hate coffee but when I have dug down and I am close to bedrock I smell coffee and then the gold really starts coming out.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
1 LB. Folgers can. Funny thing is I hate coffee but when I have dug down and I am close to bedrock I smell coffee and then the gold really starts coming out.

Better than smelling toast and having a stroke :D

Based on my calculation from the volume of 2# can and using half.... been so long since I purchased a smaller can ... but there might be some out in the shop holding nails ...
And using real time approx $1100 pure troy we end up at about $200,000 a can. Good work if you 'can' get it!

Funny thing a 2# coffee can be almost square or cube - well not really but about as tall as the diameter. That surprised me :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread