Got any tips for a beginner in California??

Jan 15, 2016
Fresno, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a college student in Fresno, CA and I honestly love this hobby and have for years. Used to work in a really nice pawn store as their sales rep for White's metal detectors and other prospecting supplies. Sold gold/silver bullion and old coins as well. Anyways in between classes I have been trying to go out an do some detecting and prospecting. I just have a few questions that I am sure a few of you could answer.

1. Does anyone know of some good places to start gold panning or using a sluice box near the Fresno area? Camping is my favorite so I also don't mind traveling. I am not expecting you to tell me your best places. Any beginner place will be fine. (So far I have been to the San Joaquin River near town and it only yields extremely small gold specs, still fun though =P)

2. If i were to be looking to buy a nice decent size sluice box, what would you recommend?

3. Any other general tips would be great!

I plan on doing this hobby for a long time. Once I graduate college here soon my father and I are going to England on one of those trips and detect the fields hoping to find some awesome history! He will take my E-Trac and I plan on buying a CTX 3030. Anyways thanks for the information!

IMG_3346.JPG

This was me out there today in the freezing water. Only got to spend about thirty minutes out there but it was mostly just to give my friends a chance to knock panning for gold off their bucket list.

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
California_Diggin
Jan 15, 2016
Fresno, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently joined American mining rights association and really enjoy both supporting the cause and the access to the claims above greely hill. You can also work the mariposa creek in mariposa. . It runs right through town and down by the fairgrounds.

Tip. Sample the hell out of a spot before you commit to working it. Faith is for finding God, not gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread