The Scene of the Crime

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out to the North Fork of the American and this was the sight that confronted me and mining buddy Samplepandan. With the recent rains the ground had softened enough to allow someone to lasso the pay station and drag it away with their vehicle. Ended up being good for us as we got free parking and some color too.

IMG_6927 - Copy.JPG IMG_6928 - Copy.JPG

Sorry about the sideways pics. They looked right when I posted them. Anyone that knows how to fix them please do.

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely it would be gated like Drivers Flat and Sliger Mine is from Oct-April if there was no bridge. I think there is enough traffic crossing that a replacement bridge would probably happen but that depends on funding. If the road closes it will be a long hike from the gate,.
Doubt it Joe there is an alternate route Caltrans and A.C.O.E and the state will hang their hat on that. keep in mind there used to be several more bridges on many of the rivers here that are gone. They hate the maintenance as it is. Betcha if its hangin' there in twenty years it will be for foot traffic.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy the $20 permit that allows free parking thru out the area including Folsom lake till Memorial Day and then after Labor Day. Good deal .

Wo, woo wait a minute. Yea let's back it up here. Your telling me there's a 20 permit pass for the year? Lol...where the heck do you get that?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They put the money bucket next to the honey bucket?...what a crappy idea. 8-)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I could make all kind of jokes about this situation but I'll restrain myself. (for a change) What bothers me about this is that we all know that it will be miners that get blamed for the damage even though there is no proof.

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get the permit at the dept of parks and rec off Folsom auburn rd near Folsom dam. Permit is golden bear pass. Call 916-988-0205

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though they have the station in Auburn, you still have to go to Folsom to get the right pass for you, been there, done that. Different passes for different people, I have the disabled pass. I doubt if they will close that road because people live off of Shirttail and it has been used as a main road when the Foresthill road is closed. Like with Ponderosa and Iowa hill, lots of people live back there. I was down there last week and I mean, they put in a toilet, maintain the road, maintain the parking area, and charge people to park. Before they were there, every year me and a couple friends would go down in the winter and clean the culverts, dig out the drainage ditches along the road, and grade it where it was needed with a snow plow. And we did our best to keep it open otherwise it would have been totally washed out a long time ago. I've seen it wash out a few times since the 70's and that's why we started maintaining it as locals ourselves back then. For me, it was nice to see the State come in and start doing the maintenance because I raised my kids down there and I've played around there for years. Heck if this rain stops in a few days I will be down there again. What I don't get though is why they keep a ranger locked in a box down at the confluence... I talked to her Friday and she didn't even know that the road just below Mammoth had been closed last week for another slide. Whenever we get water, that road slides a little more, take the old road from Auburn instead of going over the New Foresthill bridge and check it out, this was one of the best road side cave-in's that I have seen in a few years :evil6:
Yea, it really bothers me that I have to pay anywhere to play on the American these days but they are maintaining toilets for the citiots if nothing else...

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get the permit at the dept of parks and rec off Folsom auburn rd near Folsom dam. Permit is golden bear pass. Call 916-988-0205

Looks like I don't qualify for the Golden Bear Pass and they don't seem to have a Silver Fox Pass or Junior Cub one either so looks like me and MyTime are stuck paying retail.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn! I knew there had to be a catch.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mojo, that kayaker that was parked there as we left , was displaying a golden poppy pass. That may be the way to go. I believe it's $120.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes were going to need one.

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to laugh a little at this. I had several free trips to Weimar this year do to the same thing. Someone was able to tear the Pay-Box out up there as well. It should still be out and I will bet neither of them will be replaced until Spring. Wonder if it was the same team that did both:dontknow: Anyway the $10. went to extra beer!:tongue3:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good lord, Calif. is expensive! It's understandable why so many move north to Oregon, although a lot of fees are rising here also, such as hunting and fishing licenses.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good lord, Calif. is expensive! It's understandable why so many move north to Oregon, although a lot of fees are rising here also, such as hunting and fishing licenses.

That's because it take quite a bit to reach this level of Utopia.........

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like EVERY grubberment agency has their hands in our pockets any more. I've even seen PUBLIC parks with pay to park lots which is a whole bunch of bull since they were paid for by tax dollars in the first place. What's next? Paying for air to breathe? oh wait!!! Mel Brooks already did that one didn't he?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread