Idaho laws

Luck5393

Jan 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so I have recently started on my prospecting adventures, but am very confused about Idaho laws. How do I find claim information for various places, and what do I have to do to be able to upgrade from just a pan to a sluice. I live in the south east part, about an hour and a half south of Yellowstone, and have not been able to find a club in the area to answer my questions, so any information that is easy to understand would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK, so I have recently started on my prospecting adventures, but am very confused about Idaho laws. How do I find claim information for various places, and what do I have to do to be able to upgrade from just a pan to a sluice. I live in the south east part, about an hour and a half south of Yellowstone, and have not been able to find a club in the area to answer my questions, so any information that is easy to understand would be greatly appreciated.
Seriously, no idea where to look, OK? Try startin here......
Idaho GPAA
ifn this helps.

RH

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it was me, I'd just go. I've lived near Blackfoot for almost 41 years, and I just go. As long as you are shovel-feeding something, I doubt anybody would ever care, especially on this side of the state. I would avoid any park waters, or waters that get heavy fly-fishing activity from the tourists.....like Last Chance, or that area. Most of the lower Snake is fine.
Jim

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it was me, I'd just go. I've lived near Blackfoot for almost 41 years, and I just go. As long as you are shovel-feeding something, I doubt anybody would ever care, especially on this side of the state. I would avoid any park waters, or waters that get heavy fly-fishing activity from the tourists.....like Last Chance, or that area. Most of the lower Snake is fine.
Jim

No. Just no.

It's a federal felony to dig on someone else's mining claim without permission. Use www.mylandmatters.org to confirm ownership, etc of the land you want to prospect on before you go out. If it's BLM/NFS managed public land then stop at the county clerk offices to confirm there are no new filings of claims, then keep your eyes open for claim markers (that may have been put up but not yet recorded. Then DIG!

Here's some general info: http://www.iowagold.com/WHERE_TO_FIND_GOLD_USA_PAGES/idaho_gold.htm

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wasn't suggesting he do that. I assumed he'd look for claim markers, and do his due diligence. My remarks were regarding worrying about regs on public, unclaimed land. If the OP goes to those old mining areas, other than along the Snake, he really better watch for claimed ground, as there are a lot of claims in those old areas. The are near MT Caribou is especially claimed-up.
Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Luck5393

Jan 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't suggesting he do that. I assumed he'd look for claim markers, and do his due diligence. My remarks were regarding worrying about regs on public, unclaimed land. If the OP goes to those old mining areas, other than along the Snake, he really better watch for claimed ground, as there are a lot of claims in those old areas. The are near MT Caribou is especially claimed-up.
Jim

Thanks for the direction. I think I will try and connect with the group in Blackfoot. I didn't know that group existed. Thanks. Yeah I am trying to avoid prospecting on other claimed areas. I have mostly been working along the snake, just trying to find a bit more gold. Do you happen to understand the regulations regarding if I will need a permit to use a sluice. I plan on purchasing one soon and just want to make sure I keep it legal. Would I need a permit at that point?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't answer that. There's been a lot of new regs by EPA...some of it resisted by the state. As I said before...I just go. I don't trespass on other's claims, but other than that, if I break a law, and get caught, I'll pay the fine. I plan on living my life, without regards to what makes the government happy. If they get me, they get me....LOL So, far, I've never been bothered by anybody.
Jim

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anything powered by human strength is good to go anywhere, any time (other than claimed land).
The minute you introduce an internal combustion engine, all things change.
IDWR's website will give you all you need to know for state permitting (when, where, etc)

"Non-Powered Mining Equipment
Any equipment used to alter a stream channel that is operated by
human strength is considered non-powered mining equipment. This includes non-powered sluices,
pans, rockers, suction devices, and similar hand tools, etc., used to extract, collect, process, or
concentrate stream bed materials that rely on human strength. When non-powered equipment is
operated in a manner that exceeds the minimum standards for non-powered operations established
by IDAPA 37.03.07 Rule 64 you must obtain a stream channel alteration permit (LETTER PERMIT
on “open” streams; or Joint Application for Permits on all other streams)."

Google IDAPA 37.03.07 Rule 64 to establish minimum standards.

Bob

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, Bob...good info.
Jim

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggest those who mine in Idaho to print a copy of the relevant part of IDAPA 37.03.07 Rule 64 and keep it handy when you're mining. When confronted by a self rightous greenie that wants to give you a rash of **it, answer them with the truth.

Bob

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was in Idaho I was also curious about this. I called up the forest service. They said I was the first person to ever call and ask. They told me people just pretty much do what they want and there is nobody to tell them otherwise. True Story. They sent me a nice map of public lands and told me to have fun. That was in Bonner County. Now I understand some people down south are allot more serious about it.
I suggest you take a look at LR2000 LR2000- BLM It takes a bit of learning how to use it, but it's very worth it. Good Luck.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like Minecache.
Jim

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck ,check out the IGPA and NUPA [out of Utah]. They have several very good claims

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions