New Mining bill introduced in Washington

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here we go again. I swear that these liberal politicians must be smoking crack. There is no other way you could hatch such ridiculous ideas.
This bill would establish a Mining License crafted to exactly resemble a fishing license. Miners would have to fill out punch cards and If a stream is closed for fishing, then it automatically closes for mining.

My first thought is that wildlife belong to the state but minerals belong to the Fed unless you have a claim. I dont see how this license could be legal on Fed land. Of course, the big question is, Will they restock the rivers with gold?

I am interested in opinions of how effective or legal this might be.....Clay?

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/2467.pdf

Upvote 0

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are working on making sure no man can live outside they system, evey one marked and numbered.

Well I left them a comment telling them exactly what I think about this bill and I suggest anyone else who has a stake in this do the same.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2467

Thank you for the heads up.

I'm so sick of this out of control system.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored: sic sic sic anti minining insanity will bring this country to bankruptcy and live in peril on others minerals at any price. :censored: ignorance fueled by enviro fanatics-John

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CA's bad behavior has continued to be rewarded by itself to the point the OR has followed suit, WA has seen this and decided why not us too?
It's illegal, has anyone officially taken up the challenge? To those taking the challenge PLEASE make it a federal challenge!!!!!!

ratled

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First sentence:
AN ACT Relating to establishing licensing of recreational motorized mineral prospecting.

As long as you are recreating you will be subject to arbitrary regulation. There is nothing to prevent a state regulating recreation on state lands.

Let's look to the Washington State Constitution to see where the State get's the right to consider bills like this.
ARTICLE XVII
TIDE LANDS

SECTION 1 DECLARATION OF STATE OWNERSHIP. The state of Washington asserts its ownership to the beds and shores of all navigable waters in the state up to and including the line of ordinary high tide, in waters where the tide ebbs and flows, and up to and including the line of ordinary high water within the banks of all navigable rivers and lakes: Provided, that this section shall not be construed so as to debar any person from asserting his claim to vested rights in the courts of the state.

Here's the vested right:

ARTICLE XXI
WATER AND WATER RIGHTS

SECTION 1 PUBLIC USE OF WATER. The use of the waters of this state for irrigation, mining and manufacturing purposes shall be deemed a public use.

Notice that recreation isn't a vested right to the use of water? Notice that mining is?

Solution:
If you are going to recreate get the license. If you are going to mine for gold - mine for gold. By definition the public lands of the United States open to mineral entry are not State lands.

ARTICLE XXVI
COMPACT WITH THE UNITED STATES

The following ordinance shall be irrevocable without the consent of the United States and the people of this state...
That the people inhabiting this state do agree and declare that they forever disclaim all right and title to the unappropriated public lands lying with the boundaries of this state.

Heavy Pans

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Clay

Once again proving that politicans feel that they know what is best for us, and the law does not pertain to them in their quest to help poor John Q public who obviously is not bright enough to help his or her self.

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the term "Recreational mining" is not in the Gold & Fish Pamphlet http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01729/wdfw01729.pdf
it's "Mineral Prospecting & Placer Mining" It clearly defines "Casual Mining" this is probably a non issue or redirect to put mining in the spotlight
which rivers will be designated "catch and release"?:dontknow: Be prepared for the real bill's that will be coming from the fish not gold people.

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bonaro, I hope you don't mind that I posted a link to this thread on the Washington forum ???

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bonaro, I hope you don't mind that I posted a link to this thread on the Washington forum ???

Mike, we can discuss this anywhere but at all times we must be aware that the anti-mining proponents are always lurking and reading every word. Should we get to the point of discussing strategy, the conversation needs to go out of the public forums.

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First sentence:

As long as you are recreating you will be subject to arbitrary regulation. There is nothing to prevent a state regulating recreation on state lands.

Let's look to the Washington State Constitution to see where the State get's the right to consider bills like this.

Here's the vested right:

Notice that recreation isn't a vested right to the use of water? Notice that mining is?

Solution:
If you are going to recreate get the license. If you are going to mine for gold - mine for gold. By definition the public lands of the United States open to mineral entry are not State lands.

Heavy Pans

Clay, excellent info. Thank you.
I may have mor questions as this progresses.

Riff

Aug 30, 2016
Maple Valley WA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree with you Ragnor. State controlled forced to be outlaws or surrender. I don't like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread