Just wondering if theres gold

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about my past gravel operations , and I was wondering if anyone has ever panned any from a working gravel pit . I have found river gravel that was subsurface and never thought about the potencial for gold . I was just wondering , if anyone has ?

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depending on the source of the sands and gravel that is a viable idea and there is some discussion of that on this and/or other gold forums. Also gold has been recovered from bagged commercial sands from Home Depot, etc. that were sourced from gold producing areas.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep.

I have worked around gravel pits my whole life, and have found some gold.

The glacially deposited gold is usually very fine, and flat. It can be found concentrated in black seems in the high-walls, but not very often in my experience.

Study the plant, and you will soon figure out where the heavies collect.

If it's a wash plant, with sand screws, in the bottom of the screw tanks is where you will find most of it. Even around the tank drains there will be black sand and gold, with out the chore of cleaning out the screw.

I used to hook a home made sluice right to the drain, take a fire hose and wash the bottom 2 feet or so of sand through the box.
the trouble with this is not being able to regulate the feed, and booming the box. We have installed larger screws at work, and the new drains are too low, so it's harder to get.

Any where you see black sand collecting, there is probably some gold.

100_0663.JPG

Here's some Ohio Gravel pit Gold.

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had known what I know now , I would have checked , we had almost a hundred feet of river gravel with black sand over granite bed rock , the site has been worked since 1980 and still going strong . I could have run millons of yards through a gold wash plant , we had three granate quarry whole when I bought the property :BangHead:

Last edited:

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've run bagged sand/gravel from HD, to test new setups and found gold many times.

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering how much you found from the HD sand ?

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
usually just a couple fly poops.
A couple of times, I found enough to sit down and do the math. lol

It proved to be spotty at best.

That and my wife warning me that if she sees HD trucks showing up with pallets of bagged gravel for delivery, I'm a dead man.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can find a copy of the book " The Extraction of Free Gold (Virgin Placer Gold)" by Al McGowen, 1973. It's a great read on adding a gold recovery operation to existing gravel operations. Includes many pictures of the equipment, along with descriptions of how it works.
Jim

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , I'm kicking myself now . I sold the bussiness in 2003 after a horific accident in Maine while I was playing , Ended up with more than anyone needed to retire . I got divorced in 2004 and it took everything I had to keep my children , from a woman that just went crazy . She got the money and I got sole custidy of my children and would not change a thing .

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could have run it and washed it right off my sand conveyor , and doubled my money , I bet . Now that i think back , it would have yielded gold off the operation , I'm sure .

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have heard they have found gold. In pits in Maine. If there near streams. And in western Maine its a good possibility. But you would most likely have to prospect the whole pit to get much.But you never know.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can find a copy of the book " The Extraction of Free Gold (Virgin Placer Gold)" by Al McGowen, 1973. It's a great read on adding a gold recovery operation to existing gravel operations. Includes many pictures of the equipment, along with descriptions of how it works.
Jim

Well that was easy enuf...

Robot Check

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL....I'm surprised it was that easy, and REALLY surprised it is that cheap.....maybe they did another printing? At one time, it was in big demand, and few copies available.
Jim

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use to do a lot of work on gravel plants, there were a few that had gold circuits, all depends on your location whether or not it's worth it. A friend of mine owns a gravel plant and he had one on his plant. Even though he was making money off of it he took it out as it ended up being a major distraction. It was the most well maintained piece of equipment in the operation said there was way too much special attention being given to the sluice.

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , thats what I would expect . I'm just thinking back the amount of black sand and granite bedrock that we blasted over a couple square miles .

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They came in, many years ago, and checked the local ready-mix plant to see if it was worth doing and decided it wasn't. Probably just too difficult to recover that Snake River flour.
Jim

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Perry Massey some gravel pits in NC do quite well getting gold.

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure , I would have gotten gold if I had setup a sluice off of my pipe sand conveyer . Just an after thought after thousands , maybe millons of yards of material . We were running it with a wash plant and 500 to 600 yards per hour over a 23 year period .

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes,

But only micron gold in our gravel pits around here.

All the best,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes and it's a big business here in CO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread