SluiceGoose....Hog Mats vs. Bazooka Tube

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know bazookas as well as any one. I use both. Right now on our claim we have rediculous flow I am running extra long sluice with gold hog for production. Bazooka for mobility. Even with the volume a bazooka can run. I can still run more material through a longer sluice with no build up of material. For portable sluices it's still Bazooka. For in place production work I'm still pretty old school with modern riffles.

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at everything I have as a tool. Some tools work better than others at certain things. I love the Bazooka for portability. But those hog mats are something else. The one thing I cant wait to try is that multi sluice, I've heard incredible things about it. If I can get my hands on one of those for my birthday, I will probably use the bazooka in the field and hog stuff for finishing.

FlipN-Cactusland

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2016
NW Grand Ave. Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's GMT - still never used since '98... Duh! Working on it. Saving for a "pinpointer."
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to chat with Mr. Osborne at Bazooka when ordering a few weeks ago. He was helpful with advice after I'd mentioned my primary prospecting style of backpacking in and up slopes. I can carry some weight with a frame pack so the 30" Sniper was recommended as a compromise. I've also viewed the GoldHog mats videos and agree wholeheartedly on using the correct terms for accuracy. I have a trusty old Keene 51 AND a novice-purchased TeeDee EZ sluice. I refuse to toss these out. I'll figure out side-bar connectors to hold in the UR-Scrubber full length glued-taped array. There is a newer type of moss. Maybe Scrubber-under-moss in the EZ at the wedge locks with the sunken areas. This idea comes from meeting an old timer backpacker fanatic couple. He and his wife liked to get up into sloped areas with running source water. Then their modified EZ sluice became their "rocker box" as they took turns shaking and pouring the 1/4 classified material with some amazing results. Just a thought. I wonder what results they could have had using some of the way-cool homebuilt pvc hand dredges for slurping up the goodies.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was able to chat with Mr. Osborne at Bazooka when ordering a few weeks ago. He was helpful with advice after I'd mentioned my primary prospecting style of backpacking in and up slopes. I can carry some weight with a frame pack so the 30" Sniper was recommended as a compromise. I've also viewed the GoldHog mats videos and agree wholeheartedly on using the correct terms for accuracy. I have a trusty old Keene 51 AND a novice-purchased TeeDee EZ sluice. I refuse to toss these out. I'll figure out side-bar connectors to hold in the UR-Scrubber full length glued-taped array. There is a newer type of moss. Maybe Scrubber-under-moss in the EZ at the wedge locks with the sunken areas. This idea comes from meeting an old timer backpacker fanatic couple. He and his wife liked to get up into sloped areas with running source water. Then their modified EZ sluice became their "rocker box" as they took turns shaking and pouring the 1/4 classified material with some amazing results. Just a thought. I wonder what results they could have had using some of the way-cool homebuilt pvc hand dredges for slurping up the goodies.

An idea for not having to modify your sluices and still use goldhog mats.... Cut a piece of low ribbed rubber matting (orient the ribs with the flow) to fit the slick plate area and attach it to the goldhog mat. You can then attach the mat combo at the lip of the sluice using paper clamps like these (what I use) or whatever you come up with. https://www.google.com/search?q=pap...X&ved=0ahUKEwillMSMzOvKAhUIy2MKHVSDDtoQsAQIQw The mat is then easy to detatch and clean. The ribs will create a good laminar flow of the water and there will also be a smooth transition to the main mat.

Good luck.

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
..... will hear and see boulders the size of a Volkswagen bug being thrown down river.

Cannot be! Everyone knows that the bugs swim:
HerbieBananasSwim.png
:laughing7:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still beilive in buying the latest and greatest [ after you do your research] sluice etc , that money can buy . Especially when you don't own any . That way when you learn the equipment you can be some what assuried that you will be getting the most you can get . I mean why buy an infiore product to begin with . I would just build something out of the stuff ,I already have , if that was the case . I've been in the mining business long enough to know , that mining equipment changes almost as fast as computor equipment . Facts are facts , so go with the flow and do your research , and make an edgucatated purchase you can . JMHO

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still believe in buying the latest and greatest [ after you do your research] sluices , etc , that money can buy . Especially when you don't own any . That way when you learn the equipment and you can be some what assuried that you will be getting the most you can get . I mean why buy an infiore product to begin with . I would just build something out of the stuff ,I already have , if that was the case . I've been in the mining business long enough to know , that mining equipment changes almost as fast as computor equipment . Facts are facts , so go with the flow and do your research , and make an edgucatated purchase as you can . you may have to have a couple sluices as no one tool is right for every ocasion . JMHO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread