Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm a total newbie to prospecting but I'm enjoying the nature and the experience.

This was my third time panning in the creek under a big rock and I think I finally found gold, and not mica.

So are my specks gold?

Two are attached to quartz fragments, and the third was at the bottom of my pan in my black sands, and was a nice yellow color and heavy, and didn't flake like the mica I originally thought was gold in the first pan I panned for.

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_145717.jpg
    IMG_20160130_145717.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be but I'm first thought is no. It does look like some gold attached quartz but this is fairly rare. Can you take some pictures while it's dry?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take a sharp tool and poke the gold. If it crumbles and flakes away it is not gold. If it dimples it is. What part of the country are you in?

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in California.

It's fly poop sized flecks so I can't poke at it lol. It didn't write in the pan like mica, and won't break apart, so I dunno, its so tiny.

I'm just gonna go with its gold and pretend it's not just mica or some other mineral lol, and worry about it when I find something bigger another day lol.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea if you keep at it and find a nice flake you'll really be able to tell it's gold because gold is just really yellow and shiny and pretty looking, really it just looks like gold :tongue3:. Then you can compare with what you've got and you'll probably be able to tell if this is gold or not.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Simple way to tell if it is gold, block the light getting to it, if it is still bright you have gold, if it darkens not.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea if you keep at it and find a nice flake you'll really be able to tell it's gold because gold is just really yellow and shiny and pretty looking, really it just looks like gold :tongue3:. Then you can compare with what you've got and you'll probably be able to tell if this is gold or not.

Not to mention if there is any size to it at all, it will stay put in the pan when all else falls away. Classified properly of course. :thumbsup:

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at it in full zoom I would say more than likely yes. Put some real effort into clening out underneath that rock and you'll likely be rewarded. Looks pretty close to my first speck - the quartz.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply poke with a needle and look under magnification for dent. It is so small you must throw out the crack,crunch or crumble rule as much quartz in it. GOOD shine to me, smells of a micro mount gold specimen-John

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in California.

It's fly poop sized flecks so I can't poke at it lol. It didn't write in the pan like mica, and won't break apart, so I dunno, its so tiny.

I'm just gonna go with its gold and pretend it's not just mica or some other mineral lol, and worry about it when I find something bigger another day lol.

That's the spirit !! Badges ?? We don't need no stink'n badges .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions