Just wondering if anyone has found any Platinum

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a loaded question , but realistically where does most of the Platinum come from in the USA , and no smart answers like in the ground . LOL

It runs with copper most commonly in washington. There is also some associated with a lead/silver deposit here. But I havn't made it to that one yet. Sry no photo's to show just yet. My most positive ID was a pink purple coating on a dimpled copper nugget I melted, Which indicates platinum according to somthing I read on analysing prills. Ive seen bright silver nuggets but never photo'd them. Oh and there is another place associated with copper and silver in Idaho. It yeilds cubic grey crystals. I should really get back there sometime. If not maybe I'll try and post the location before I die.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have found some at Horseshoe bend, Green River, Utah. actually found more platinum one day than gold, but only once I have found it.

That's a surprise to me. Where was it roughly speaking?

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Waterway outside of the traditional motherload

Full of glacial till, ground fine, millions of years ago. Recovered with a 4 inch.

Attachments

• Coldwater platinum 001.JPG
    Coldwater platinum 001.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 77

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ez to find in Trinity/Shasta counties. My biggest shiny pt nugget is 2.5 dwt(Trinity county) with many smaller less attractive nuggets from all over the state. Merced rocks with ugly nasty rhodium also with all the pt family of minerals. State bulletin has complete story on calif pt group metals of same title-John

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ez to find in Trinity/Shasta counties. My biggest shiny pt nugget is 2.5 dwt(Trinity county) with many smaller less attractive nuggets from all over the state. Merced rocks with ugly nasty rhodium also with all the pt family of minerals. State bulletin has complete story on calif pt group metals of same title-John

I have always wondered why the Platinum price is so far away from gold , I guess that has to do with history . But in my opinion it's just as hard to find as gold , maybe even harder .

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a year or so ago platnium was worth more then gold. China controls the market for platnum. They have the largest share of it. I guess there enought on the market to keep the price down. But its rarer then gold.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are some good articles online if you ask/google "platinum vs silver" or something like that. When you get a silver grey nugget, there are some good tests to identify lead, silver, platinum, mercury covered gold, etc. As for best place, southern BC and northern WA come to mind. The old timers used to hate platinum on some of the creeks because they thought it had no value. In fact, some pretty good treasure stories in those areas, where it is suspected jars of the stuff were buried.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
found one largish flake of what I believe to be platinum on the south Yuba.
conquistadors in Peru thought the platinum was gold that hadn't ripened yet, they threw it back :)

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very cool stories . Thanks

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't the prices have a lot to do with industrial demand? Maybe we're manufacturing less stuff that uses platinum and more with gold now?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now just like the stock market nothing but the rich mans monopoly game, over regulated and black ops alike control all. Very akin to diamond controls and monopoly-John

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not even so-called "experts" in the PM markets can tell where it's going....where's my $2500/.ozt gold? - JP MorganChase
just take a look on the forums at Kitco, these guys are clueless.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the platinum ever mined would make an 8ft cube

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the platinum ever mined would make an 8ft cube

I was thinking some where close to that , thats why I was thinking it should be worth more . LOL

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When gold hit $2k a oz rhodium hit in the $5500 range and sold every grain I ever found, traded or bought....love them highs as sold my nasty tiny micron gold also. Keep them nuggets though as $2k+ will rise again as this new bubble is already busting at the seams yet again due to insane monetary policies-John

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When gold hit $2k a oz rhodium hit in the $5500 range and sold every grain I ever found, traded or bought....love them highs as sold my nasty tiny micron gold also. Keep them nuggets though as $2k+ will rise again as this new bubble is already busting at the seams yet again due to insane monetary policies-John

I never even thought about Rhodium , I'll have to check in too that .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Price down over 50% now but I have just a tiny bit left as memories mandate some relics of a ill spent youth gold grubbn' be kept in the bank to visit-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread