Classifier screen size discrepancy

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple of days ago I discovered that my camelminingproducts classifier labeled as 60 mesh apparently has the same size openings as a Pioneer Mining Supplies classifier labeled 100 mesh. For a test that I was running on a Gold Rush Nugget Bucket (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/345069-gold-nugget-bucket-3.html), I thought I would cut my minus 60 mesh about in half by rescreening them through the 100 mesh. To my surprise everything that passed the 60 mesh also passed the 100 mesh. I don't think it is possible that there is not enough difference in the particles to not at least catch some plus 100 mesh particles so one of the classifiers must be mislabeled. Has anyone else ever run across something similar?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I expect the answer is the two manufactures used different gauge wire. Mesh is defined as the count of the number of openings in one inch of screen, whereby the number of openings is the mesh size. Eg. A 60-mesh screen has 60 squares across one linear inch of screen and 100-mesh screen has 100. Either your classifiers are mislabeled or more likely the wire is a different size.

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking that too and in this case it must be the 60 mesh screen that has the heavier gauge wires thus smaller openings.

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to me but easy to see that happening. My mom had to wear a mask in the hosp and they insisted it was a small and wear it when in fact the supplier mis-bagged it.
*hit happens.:sadsmiley:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There could be several reasons but I have a feeling that it was mislabeled or put into the wrong stack in the warehouse or store where you got it. I can't see wire gauge being the cause because there's not enough difference in size for that to be the only cause. I've got classifiers from 1/2 to 1/100 and use them almost daily. The screen in my 100 is so fine that it looks like fuel filter screen and there's no way that 60-70 mesh stuff is going to go through it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread