Slate Creek

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking about or reminiscing about Slate Creek where it dumps into the N . Fork Of the Yuba I just turned 70 a while back and the first Time in I was 12 years old . A friends father dropped us off near Strawberry Valley after camping down at the racetrack at slate creek for the weekend . We needed supplies so we could stay longer and fish and pan for gold The strawberry store had every thing we needed . And old john a prospector that mined and lived down on the Yuba was loading up his backpack also he was 70 + Years old And was going to be our guide on the hike back in . It was more like a history lesson than a hike with john pointing out old camps and cabins some that he had used the trail hit the river a couple of miles below Deadwood creek and was late in the day when we made camp at slate creek an adventure was born we stayed a month the first time and tried to go up every summer in my youth . Good Gold and fantastic fishing back to changing flats on the horse trailer .

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad told a story about his uncle taking him prospecting there. While walking across the dirt road to go into the store he found a $20 gold piece. That's good gold !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread