Generator Score

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I was browsing the local social media classifieds when I came across a Honeywell 1000i generator. The guy selling it wanted $50 originally but when he got a lot of interest he started a bidding war. The price got up to $100 but no sale. I went to look at it and it wouldn't run. I was able to talk him down to $60. I knew I was taking a risk but I knew the problem was either electrical or fuel. Got it home, looked in the tank, and immediately knew fuel was most likely the issue. The fuel was very murky. I drained the tank and found a bunch of crud in the bottom. There was evidence of rusting. I thoroughly cleaned the tank and replaced a fuel line. Read a lot of reviews on line indicating these generators are temperamental when it comes to starting. But once I figured it out, topped off the fuel and oil, started on first pull.

https://youtu.be/neL3P093XIk

Upvote 0

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice score. Does it have a cord to charge a 12 volt battery? I take my little Honda generator when I go to the back country in case of a dead battery. I was stranded for 24 hours once until someone came along to give me a jump. My dome light got stuck on and ran the battery down.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice score. Does it have a cord to charge a 12 volt battery? I take my little Honda generator when I go to the back country in case of a dead battery. I was stranded for 24 hours once until someone came along to give me a jump. My dome light got stuck on and ran the battery down.

That is one of my fears and why I always buy pickups with manual transmissions. Park on a hill where you can get the truck moving on it's own, turn ignition on and pop the clutch while in second gear to start it and you are on your way.:icon_thumright: Just bought a new Frontier and there were only 62 of the model I wanted in the lower 48. This one will probably be my last.

Last edited:
OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Unfortunately when you buy used you don't get all the pieces. It's actually missing the panel that covers the side you can't see. I figure I can cut one of my tubs up to cover the whole thing.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Schweet score :notworthy: Sometimes the best finds aren't on the river :headbang:

By the way, my grinder has no guard either, safety gets in the way of speed :tongue3: however I do wear eye protection.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Nice find. A word of caution to those that look for the smaller 1000 wat generators is that these wont last long if they are allowed to run out of fuel while under load. If it happens much it will burn the inner windings out and even though it runs ,use a electrical test meter to see if itll put out voltage. otherwise its a boat anchor and itll cost more to fix than to buy another (from a voice of experience!)

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Russ, that's good information to know. I appreciate it. Don't think I'll ever run out of gas under load though. I only plan to use it to run my power sluice which won't be constant usage. Additionally, once i use more than a quarter tank and shut down, I'll have to top it off to start it anyway. Figured that out when I was trying to start it the other night. Thanks again for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread