Latest attack on a miner

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three weeks ago a M.E.G on the way to his claim, without lawful warrant, and failure to declare a lawful probable cause, was impeded and physically injured by Oregon State Police. The encounter resulting in his prospecting and mining tools being taken and then being charged for their return. Formal criminal complaint has been file with county sheriff against OSP Officer, and others involved, for atleast theft of private property and extortion.

More information to be shared on this situation as it develops.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so they didn't deny him access to a claim. WHY did they take his tools MEG? What was the seizure based on?

The simple facts - just what caused this guy to be stopped and have his property taken when he wasn't on his claim.

For all we know he was fishing from an unregistered boat and his prospecting equipment was on board when they confiscated the boat. Maybe he was shooting at passing cars? Was he a secret IS member on his way to blow up a bridge and just happened to have a pick and shovel in his trunk? There are a whole bunch of reasons why this guy lost his tools that don't necessarily have anything to do with mining.

Your own posts don't indicate he was conducting any mining activities.

Heavy Pans

The M.E.G.'s ability to access his Mineral Estate (mining claim) was obstructed by an OSP Officer with his vehicle. A confrontation ensued over the OSP Officer's belief there was some state permission required for the lawful access (ingress and egress) being exercised. There was no reason given for the theft of his property (tools and other items stolen, including the M.E.G.'s property recording "legal" papers and signage (POST NOTICES). That is part of the Criminal Complaint filed with the Sheriff attempting to have addresses.

Last year, there was a complaint filed with this same sheriff by another M.E.G. about arresting trespass by BLM employees doing an in stream fish enhancement project on his, or neighboring claim. This after the BLM sending the claim owner a permission request to do that project, and being denied, and than setting up camp on the M.E.G.'s property and going ahead with the project anyways. Sheriff's reply was he would not be making any arrest, and that the BLM does not need the owner's permission.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The M.E.G.'s ability to access his Mineral Estate (mining claim) was obstructed by an OSP Officer with his vehicle. A confrontation ensued over the OSP Officer's belief there was some state permission required for the lawful access (ingress and egress) being exercised. There was no reason given for the theft of his property (tools and other items stolen, including the M.E.G.'s property recording "legal" papers and signage (POST NOTICES). That is part of the Criminal Complaint filed with the Sheriff attempting to have addresses.

Thanks MEG.

So the guy had an expired vehicle registration or no drivers license? Was that the discussion over state permission? That would certainly fit your explanation.

If those weren't the problems I've got about 64 more questions. Seems this would be easier if you just described in plain English what happened. Or I could keep guessing? ??? :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow I don't think that anyone on this thread has all the information on what exactly went down. I for one would like to know what happened and why. Was his truck towed? Was he placed under arrest? If so, what were the charges? Has this happened to others in the area and was the same LEO involved? So far all I've seen is a lot of speculation and few concrete facts.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Common you guys...you know that to much information cant be put out before its time, as it could inhibit the investigation. I know in my situation I had to keep quiet for awhile before posting to much info here. It sucks but that's the way it is. Give MEG some time and we will be informed of what is happening.

allenknight555

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rogue river below the Applegate river is in the wild and scenic section. Its big money from rafters and fishermen and blm pet project .

Sent from my LGUK410 using Tapatalk

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Common you guys...you know that to much information cant be put out before its time, as it could inhibit the investigation. I know in my situation I had to keep quiet for awhile before posting to much info here. It sucks but that's the way it is. Give MEG some time and we will be informed of what is happening.

If there was an arrest, a seizure or if a criminal complaint filed with the Sheriff this is already public information. Pretending it's private doesn't make it true. The cops and the prosecutors already know what happened but you and I don't. How that helps miners is beyond me. Ignorance is bliss?

Either the story is just that or there is already a publicly available record. It's really that simple Hefty.

When people come on the internet claiming their rights have been violated it's only good sense to say what rights were violated and how they were violated. So far we've heard a mumbled er... ingress and egress as if that might be the right violated. When people have had their rights violated and keep the details "secret" it sets my BS alarm off.

After more than 40 years of court cases, protests, civil disobedience and Congressional hearings I can tell you that this is not a normal or useful reaction to a violation of rights. Something smells here and I'm hoping MEG is smart enough to explain the situation and show that the smell was from some cheese he left in his mining gear. That hasn't happened so I'm asking questions that could be easily answered without "inhibiting" any "investigation".

This thread is already more than a month old. I think MEG has had plenty of time to explain why he set off an alarm and went away without explanation. If he has a good reason for withholding the facts he probably should have realized it was a bad idea to post this. As you explained Hefty you needed to not bring attention to your situation so you didn't. That's not the case here MEG has been pushing this to the top of the forum since he first posted it.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Oregon....none of the people named give a crap about Miners,loggers or ranchers......One trip to Eugene will just break your heart if you are the sort that wants to use natural resources....they hate us up there!!!!

I agree with the Eugene part.....but ..my Dad , and his Dad and family were raised in that area. They were farmers, ranchers and loggers. On the "outskirts"...farmland, ranch land in that area.
Portland, Salem Eugene don't like you/us.
The small towns in Oregon, are not the same.

I could go on a political rant on this forum about Oregon's political elite, but I don't want to get banned. I will say this however. If you want to extract natural resources in Oregon you face a steep uphill battle with those who control the state government.

Yep! I agree 110% !!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Estacata [ not sure of the spelling ] Back in the mid 80's testing mountain bikes . I seen a lot of log trucks , etc back then . The people all seemed to be friendly , I road as far up MT Hood as posible , and experience a great resturant . Then I road back to Estacata . I road over 300 miles in two weeks and met a nice girl that I almost married , it just was'nt meant to be , we even took in a Deep purple concert in Portland .

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update:

At last nights SWOMA meeting, attendees were told the sheriff has not yet made any contact with the filer of the Criminal Complaint served on him February 16. It was also disclosed in light of an apparent position of no action on the sheriff's duty and obligation to investigate and arrest crime, or answer to the original Complaint, a new Complaint was served on him March 23rd. No other details were disclosed.

Last edited:

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope he has lawyered up!

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At last evenings Jefferson Mining District meeting the update was there has still not been any reply from the sheriff on the Felony Criminal complaint file with him months back, and that a complaint filed with the same sheriff about 6 weeks ago by another M.E.G. has not been answered either.

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And none of the first M.E.G.'s property stolen by OSP Officer has been returned.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
rogue cops, highly corrupt. or just plain stupid. call the oath keepers and local militia. arrest them and any government officials involved. charge them with conspiracy, simple corruption, theft, professional misconduct, abuse of authority ,eccetera.

unless...

why was the claim owner denied access? and why was his equipment taken?

it is implied in this thread that the miner was merely stopped, robbed. and told to leave. that the cop was a thug.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's what they're going to do pick us off one at a time, following California's lead
kinda hard to get behind something if we don't know the specifics.
not knowing, my guess is he was mining some place like silver creek that is an environmentalist hotbed over spawning beds.
it would be different if the miner was on his own claim and working within the customary in-water work times or intermittent stream that only flows in the winter.
just saying he's a miner doesn't make him in the right, your posting like we should get behind this without giving us something to go on isn't helping.
my thoughts; expend a lot of time & effort or get a lawyer and get his stuff back.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rogue cops, highly corrupt. or just plain stupid. call the oath keepers and local militia. arrest them and any government officials involved. charge them with conspiracy, simple corruption, theft, professional misconduct, abuse of authority ,eccetera.

unless...

why was the claim owner denied access? and why was his equipment taken?

it is implied in this thread that the miner was merely stopped, robbed. and told to leave. that the cop was a thug.

This happened months ago. The person who started this. Who seemed like they wanted to enlighten us. The person who I would think wanted to give this information so we could get together and back this prospector who was wrong....also is the person giving the most mystery to the event.

At this point could someone please give a few more details?

OATHKEEPERS...sure if you want to make sure that prospectors in Oregon get on the fast track to being prevented from digging...get them involved....cause they sure are effective at getting local authorities arrested ...LMAO...thats good stuff right there.

Maybe the person who was arrested should try harder to get their stuff back on their own. people do it all the time..

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps I missed something but what exactly started all this in full details. Just to post in general claims of a potential victim without an entire story is hard to sit with. Why has this victim not gone to the DA, AG or filed a Congressional. It would not be hard, they do not even need the case number, just the complaint date.

Sorry I seem skeptical but it is the US, there are plenty Gov Officials who would love to eat that Officers Lunch if said crimes really did happen.

Its simple; there has to be a record of this some where.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've known people that have had a vehicle impounded and OSP would not let them get their stuff until the impound fees where paid.
some were not be able to come up with the impound fees and lost the car and everything in it.
one family needed their stuff and had to pay $50 to see a judge to sign off on letting get their belongings out of the car in impound.
maybe this might be a similar situation where you could just talk to a judge and he could issue an order.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread