El Nino Gold

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
This will be my 3rd prospecting season and I believe that this winter we had the best flooding here in northern CA that I've experienced (in my brief prospecting career). I know that generally all of the tributaries/rivers in the area got some decent water flow from all of the storms, specifically in early february.

This all makes me wonder: Was this a mother nature "reset button" for gold? Meaning, might there be gold on that inside bend or behind that large boulder that had been worked a thousand times in the past by those before me? I usually prospect in "public access areas" which have been hit pretty hard. This has led me to work bedrock crevices usually because most gravel bars have been worked over again and again.

I understand that my best bet is to sample the areas that I'm interested in myself. But to save a little time, might it be a good idea to look for some replenished flood gold from this winter's flooding? Or is it likely that not much has changed? Anyone with the experience- please chime in.

Upvote 0

paydirt1850

Jun 6, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In WI, the warm weather is turning ditches into raging rivers. Stopped by one of my beach spots yesterday, and the river is moving black sand like crazy, and rebuilt part of the beach.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking in regards to the NFA.. And possible "Flood Gold".. Well late 2012 and early 2016 have something in common.. That is both years the NFA hit above 20000cfs.. Now since Oct 2007 that has only happened twice as stated above. In regards to "Flood Gold" this is somewhat of interest. Now most common people associate "flood gold" with the river and I am not disputing the river moves gold.. But on the other hand I am aware of runoff from the mountains erosion ect ect.. Lots to consider and it also depends on your knowledge and your beliefs in transportation of gold in the river ect ect.. lots of thoughts and opinions on the matter no doubt. Anyway if memory serves me I spent early 2013 doin a lot of sluicing.. Some of it was just sand but it was dusty.
Lot's of sampling is your best bet.. Anytime you get some kind event that is uncommon its best to check it out. The more sampling you do and the more you pay attention to flows and water levels ect ect the more you will have figured out..
USGS Current Conditions for USGS 11427000 NF AMERICAN R A NORTH FORK DAM CA

March 2013 between the Y and the M on the NFA.. Anyway good luck SOHR...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread