Gold Panning in Small Stream Without Large Rocks

dethan1999

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. For christmas my parents gave me a basic Garrett Gold Panning kit. I've been doing loads of research about gold panning in Maine. There is a small brook behind my house that's mainly made up of silt, sand, and clay. There are no rocks at all, and most of the stream is quite slow. In some corners, methane from decaying plants bubble up through the silt. Anyways, I've looked online and have yet to see anyone panning in a brook that looks similar to the one behind my house. I'm only seeing fast moving rivers with many big rocks and pebbles. I'm assuming those are the ideal locations for gold flecks. I've heard about gold being panned on the river my stream leads to (Stroudwater river in Maine). The stream behind my house (South Branch Stroudwater River) is slow moving. No rushing water. The bottom is mainly either Silt or Sand. There are many fallen trees and whatnot that shape little pits in the water. Anyways, would it even be worth panning for gold in a stream like mine? Are the geological features of the stream a potential place for gold? I'm pretty new to the whole panning concept and I think it would be a fun summer hobby if it all works out. I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks.

Upvote 0

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know! If there's gold in the river you could have a feeder stream behind your house. When you thaw out take your pan and go for it! If you find gold GREAT if not you'll get some good practice panning. I don't know where you are in ME. there are many places to go your state. Good luck!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to find out. Research is good but no book will find gold for you. I've found gold in very unlikely locations and not found it in location that are textbook. Good luck

OP
OP
D

dethan1999

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to spring. I live in southern Maine, and I might've been mistaking when I said there was gold in Stroudwater River. I just re-googled and I've yet to find any evidence. I guess I was thinking of some other river. Anyways, once spring arrives, and I decide to go panning, where should I start? Is gold commonly found more in the silt + clay sections? Or would I have better luck simple panning in the sandy sections?

There are many small underground water springs that feed into the stream through the ravines. Most of the underground springs are no more than 4 ft below. Can gold possibly trickle down those springs and into the stream? I'm just looking for the place where I'd have the best chance of finding something if there actually is gold. I'll test around a whole bunch of places. I'm quite new to gold panning and don't have much geological knowledge of gold. Anyways, thanks for the help!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to spring. I live in southern Maine, and I might've been mistaking when I said there was gold in Stroudwater River. I just re-googled and I've yet to find any evidence. I guess I was thinking of some other river. Anyways, once spring arrives, and I decide to go panning, where should I start? Is gold commonly found more in the silt + clay sections? Or would I have better luck simple panning in the sandy sections?

There are many small underground water springs that feed into the stream through the ravines. Most of the underground springs are no more than 4 ft below. Can gold possibly trickle down those springs and into the stream? I'm just looking for the place where I'd have the best chance of finding something if there actually is gold. I'll test around a whole bunch of places. I'm quite new to gold panning and don't have much geological knowledge of gold. Anyways, thanks for the help!

There is def gold in Maine so fear not. Might have to search the forum but it think there is a thread in the panning forum that I believe is all northeast miners. That's where I would start. Also Idont know about everyone else but I have trouble searching the forum for old threads. I've found if you just google whatever search string and add treasurenet you can more easily find what you want.

Edit: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/313857-ma-vt-nh-panning.html

Clay, bedrock, cracks all that is true but I urge you to practice with that pan. Sample everything. It will be time well spent.

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definately look for the harder clay areas and the sandy areas just a few inches up river .

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold is where you find it.which means it could be anywhere.seen guys in wisconsin panning streams just like yours ,mostly mud and getting gold.you never know until you try.good luck and keep the faith.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend time looking for solid bedrock as nature has done the work for you in the cracks, crevices and right on bedrock. You've heard the saying -the buck stops here well gold instantly starts to gravitate downwards to bedrock with any motion. Put some wet gravels in a pan--drop a nice gram nugget on top-shake once and like magic it's going down as that sweet heavy specific gravity does your job for you. Lots of luck as I've seen some pretty impressive Maine and New Hampshire nuggets pics posted-John

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
D1999 where are you in Maine. Maybe i can help you out. The best areas are in western Maine. Near the N.H and Canada Border. I have had my best luck digging down two to three feet or more. When it gets harder digging with larger rocks. That are hard to move. If theres gold there should be finding some specks. Or right on bed rock or a clay layer. But if you want to learn join a club. Central Maine Prospector is the club I belong to. Its a very nice group. They have 5 outing a year. And its hands on. And there glad to show you the ropes. Goggle Central Maine Prospectors that will get you to there face book page.And there new web site is listed in there. Any more questions shout out some one on here will help you out.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grass roots and moss. Any time you have to work in silt material always check the grass roots along the inside bends and any moss behind trees or other obstructions. I know a particullar river that yields very respectable gold from the silt in the roots and moss. I also have a creek near home that yields fine gold from the silt. especially where it runs across mats of tree roots.
Much of the silt here washington is fine volcanic ash. It carried with it visible fine gold when it fell across the state in may of 1980.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check the rules for Maine And N.H. Grass, Roots, Moss and Tree roots I believe are off limits. Research as much as you can now. Before you get out in the field. Will save having a lot of head aches.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't find any roots or moss when I'm out! LOL! If it's dead it's fair game.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grass is off limits?... that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard hahaha. Even California isn't that crazy

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
If you do not find any in your stream I'm sure you will find some close to home.

Check out the USGS! Tons of information and reports on where the gold is! They also have many digital maps that show the locations where the samples were taken. Click on the markers and each will show multiple reports.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• sshot-37.png
    sshot-37.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 176
  • sshot-39.png
    sshot-39.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grass is off limits?... that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard hahaha. Even California isn't that crazy

NH. say's stay out of the vegetation. Not me the state. But if it happens to fall into your bucket when your digging?

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are not going to find gold in soft silt. Gold is heavy and will have worked its way down deeper.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update I found no mention of digging in roots, moss and etc. In the N.H Laws . Except in the White Mountains. No disturbing Vegatation. Must have been a senior moment. When I get a moment I will check out Maine Laws. Which Have changed I think. Maine you can"t remove vegatation or any wood from stream beds. And no digging in banks. If anyone cares. FyI

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread