Idaho mining town landlocked by landslide

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Imagine living in an old mining town with only one road in and out (no through roads)
Now how would you feel when a tremendous land slide blocks the road.
It happened in Elk City Idaho last week. A handfull of locals are using snow machines to ferry mail and medicines using old forest service roads. The two local stores are quickly running out of food.
A Facebook page has been established. To view some scary pics and an onsite video as it happened,
click HERE.
Bob
elk city monday.jpg

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me of when our town was landlocked by storms and flooding some years ago. HUGE boulders down on two of the four ways in and out of town and the other two flooded to the point of being impassable. It was of course caused by El Nino but it was in S.California. At least it got me out of work for a couple of days.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't the locals hop on the snow machines and get out instead of living that way.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There are about a half dozen small communities affected by this slide. By its size, I would guess about a week or two to properly clear debris and stabilize the hillside. Similar things happen rather frequently.

OP
OP
Underburden

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That spot will never be 100% safe. It will take a death before they move the road to the opposite side of the river for a short distance.

ebuyc

Jan 17, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doubt they will build any new bridges

My father worked for the ITD for several decades and bridge maintenance and testing is a huge cost for the state. It would take a lot of press and politics after some terrible tragedy to get the funding approved for a new bridge to an area like Elk City.

Sorry for my pessimism.. it would be nice to straighten out the road some lol

D2ElkCityslide02192016_002.jpg

My 2 bits...

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to get your sample pan, that's Virgin soil!

OP
OP
Underburden

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NoBudgetMining
The hanging rock is at mile 28. The slide was at mile 39, right where AMRA have their claims.

OP
OP
Underburden

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldfleks,
There are many visible quartz veins in that stretch of highway. Mile 14.5 has an exposed ancient river bed 50 feet above the highway that I'd love to crawl up and take a sample.
Bob

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with your Highway dept as in most states 100' from the road or bridges-aka "adjacent and subadjacent support" cannot be affected by mining or tickets/fines abound. Use caution. John

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
Best of luck to all the town folks. I hope they get the road cleared in short order with out incident!! One of my favorite rivers to fish and dredge. I will be headed up there in a few weeks to wet a fly. I decided they best have things in order by the time I get there. Good luck to all involved.

OP
OP
Underburden

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check with your Highway dept as in most states 100' from the road or bridges-aka "adjacent and subadjacent support" cannot be affected by mining or tickets/fines abound. Use caution. John

John, you mean like this? I believe the claimant works for IDT as he had official "Men Working Ahead" signs posted pre and post this location. Again, this was located just prior to the slide area. I had to laugh when I saw his yellow mining claim sign so close to the white fog line. He worked it most of last summer.
roadside claim.jpg

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
I sure enjoyed your web page Underburden. Thanks. Now I am torn between my pan and my fly rod. Hope your medical conditions are improving. Best of luck Rut

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering if they cleaned it up yet ? It looks like they should get rid of that boulder also .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread