🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought me 3 2lb bags of paydirt to practice panning with from treasure post.
At $15 a bag I figured it would be a few dust flakes if anything.
After fighting with float gold for a bit I put a drop of dishsoap in the water...it helped some but I was still getting some floating.

I took a break and started panning the rocks I sifted and got my first picker!!!
It was exciting for me as a newbie but I think it will be more exciting when I can go out and find it myself lol

Attachments

• 2016022313023000.jpg
    2016022313023000.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 2016022313023800.jpg
    2016022313023800.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations, you'll never forget your first picker! Hope many more come your way!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought me 3 2lb bags of paydirt to practice panning with from treasure post.
At $15 a bag I figured it would be a few dust flakes if anything.
After fighting with float gold for a bit I put a drop of dishsoap in the water...it helped some but I was still getting some floating.

I took a break and started panning the rocks I sifted and got my first picker!!!
It was exciting for me as a newbie but I think it will be more exciting when I can go out and find it myself lol

Hey Waynos Great job , did you get NH paydirt . I bought some from a guy up there a while back , Iv'e classified it but , I still have to pan it .

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job Waynos! If you read and watch the gold prospecting videos here on TNET on panning for gold and purchasing paydirt.
You should have no problem panning!
You have to first break inn your pan, rough it up and remove the oils and gloss. Your pan does not appear to be .... Forget proper word! Ready for panning! You should add jetdry to your pan to help keep down the floaters.
HH
HP

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay Dirt?? !!!! That's CHEATING!!!

Still feels good though, doesn't it? Gold is gold... Pay Dirt is a lot of fun.. Seeing that shiny from pay dirt is
how I got hooked, and its still fun, and unfortunately the biggest gold I've ever found is from a bag of dirt.

My Dad has redefined "picker".. If you can "almost" pick it up with tweezers, its a picker. Makes the gold feel bigger...

dennis 5

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2014
clements ca
Detector(s) used
tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True you never forget your first. Mine's been carried in my wallet for over 50 years clear taped to a bussines card behind my drivers liscense. I've used it over the years as a test nugget for my detectors. I still get that feeling every time I use it. Congrats on your find hope there more in store.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the picker man! Now you need to head to the doctor so he can tell you that there is no cure for that fever that's about to hit you!

FLYADIVE: I think the word you were looking for is "Seasoned".

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Waynos! If you read and watch the gold prospecting videos here on TNET on panning for gold and purchasing paydirt.
You should have no problem panning!
You have to first break inn your pan, rough it up and remove the oils and gloss. Your pan does not appear to be .... Forget proper word! Ready for panning! You should add jetdry to your pan to help keep down the floaters.
HH
HP

I SOS padded my pans real good...i will have to pick up some jetdry next time I'm out...I panned into my 15" super sluice pan cause I know a lot of fines got past me.
Now I'm trying to figure out if I should cook/dry the gold before the vial or leave it in water.
I've been watching some videos on panning but most people are using gold wheels or blue bowls for final clean up...for now those are out of my price range so I have to do everything by hand...cause I'm new it takes me a long time so I do small amounts (1 table spoon or so) at a time lol

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Waynos Great job , did you get NH paydirt . I bought some from a guy up there a while back , Iv'e classified it but , I still have to pan it .

I believe it was called glacier gold paydirt from Alaska...it was $15 for a 2lb bag so I bought 6lbs to use for learning..the site was called treasure post and was an impulse buy cause it was cheap and I needed material to train for the wild ammonoosac in May lol

I haven't found any NH paydirt selling but I hope I can get a like 4 buckets in May to bring home...it is a bit of work panning but strangely fascinating being able to make the gold appear out of the dirt lol.
I have to work on my technique for panning out the blonde/white sand still.
Luckily panning into a bigger pan or container catches material so I can rework it during this learning process

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Waynos, I can show you some panning in May at the outing. got a couple of technic's to show you. Not the first newb to teach at the river! LOL!

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching some videos on panning but most people are using gold wheels or blue bowls for final clean up...for now those are out of my price range so I have to do everything by hand...cause I'm new it takes me a long time so I do small amounts (1 table spoon or so) at a time lol

Here is some more...

From the Gold Cube man...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/459664-art-gold-panning.html

And a little bit more here...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/489242-black-sand-flour-gold.html

I'm sure there are more, these are the ones I remembered off the top of my head...

No need for fancy gadgets... You can get a squeeky clean clean up with just a pan and some classifiers, right down to the tiniest stuff you can't even see with the naked eye.

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thanks everyone...I bought a 30 mesh screen and some jetdry today...tonight I'll go through it some more.

@NH nugget,
Thanks any help is appreciated!!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Waynos, you are on the right track avoiding expensive gadgets that take more time than they are worth for most folks. Check out my blog entry on finish panning for a good set of instructions: www.findinggoldincolorado.com
Not selling anything, just putting it all in one place!

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel