Tell me about the minerals - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Tell me about the minerals

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Still looking......... I guess I'd be a bad prospector!

Wait a minute!! Clay! How did the Lithium get there? Was what I went looking for. These may be stupid questions. I'm learning slowly in random directions! I read that some lithium deposits were left by Saline? So, an earlier thought might not have been too far out there. But what else is carried and deposited that way?

Just stuff I was wondering and trying to understand. If saline carried the Lithium, and if that's how it was deposited, what else could be deposited by saline? That's where I'm at now....
    Last edited by Nitric; Apr 19, 2016 at 09:36 PM.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7092 times
    Would be a great game to play if it weren't for the data cap on my internet. Name:  Crying - Copy.gif
Views: 364
Size:  14.9 KB
    Nitric likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11272 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    Still looking......... I guess I'd be a bad prospector!

Wait a minute!! Clay! How did the Lithium get there? Was what I went looking for. These may be stupid questions. I'm learning slowly in random directions! I read that some lithium deposits were left by Saline? So, an earlier thought might not have been too far out there. But what else is carried and deposited that way?

Just stuff I was wondering and trying to understand. If saline carried the Lithium, and if that's how it was deposited, what else could be deposited by saline? That's where I'm at now....
    Nix the saline idea Nitric and think Pegmatite!

The alkali is about a group of base metals that when exposed to acid form metal salts. Lithium (the lightest of the solid elements) does that because it's got a really unstable atomic structure. Pure lithium doesn't exist in nature because it rapidly oxidizes (burns) and gives up it's free electron (crashes into a cation). So it's not salt that forms Lithium but Lithium forms metallic salts. This isn't the kind of salt you would put on your food (the salt of the metal element sodium) but you might want to put some on your crazy Aunt Charlene's cereal.

The lithium we are talking about here is bound up (compounded) with Mica (a form of sheet silicates). Some micas when they bind with the metallic salt Lithium form the mineral Lepidolite. Lepidolite itself is a pretty cool rock, I've got some nice pieces here on the desk in front of me, but the really exciting part is the other things you find in pegmatites that have exotic stuff like Lithium in their composition. A lot of the rarer lighter metals survive as minerals in pegmatites when they would just be cooked off in the dryer, hotter magmatic intrusions like granites. Stuff like beryllium, magnesium, calcium, strontium, barium, aluminum, boron, fluorine, niobium, tantalum, uranium, and rare earths will be found in pegmatite but not in granite in any abundance.

Very large crystals and gems are common in the pegmatites here. Just a few miles to the east of this spot some of the largest crystals in the world are just hanging around for clever rock nuts to see. One of the largest is over 300 foot long and mostly exposed on an easily seen hillside near White Picacho peak. There are Beryls, various Tourmalines and even more exotic gems associated with these pegmatite dikes and sills.

Beryl alone has several valuable gems.
    Aquamarine - Blue/green variety of beryl.
    Blue Beryl (Maxixe) - Deep blue beryl.
    Emerald - Deep green variety of a beryl.
    Goshenite - Colorless variety of beryl.
    Heliodor - Yellow variety of beryl.
    Morganite - Pink variety of beryl.
    Red Beryl - A red gem variety of beryl, also known as 'bixbite',
    Riesling Beryl - A strongly dichroic (pale green / golden yellow) beryl.
    Vorobyevite - A caesium-bearing variety of beryl.

The Tourmaline here is mostly Elbaite (green) and Schorl (black) but the crystals tend to be huge and very numerous. Schorl in quartz is everywhere scattered on the ground and in the rock faces. But since there is Lepidolite and the other lighter metals there is always the possibility of finding much rarer Tourmalines.

Lithium has it's own rare and beautiful gemstone Spodumene - also found in this area. Notice that all these beautiful minerals have very light metal elements as a considerable portion of their makeup. That's the result of the pegmatites being the last and most hydrous of the magmas to form. Faster cooling with water and light elements creates a lot of the most interesting and valuable rocks and minerals along with very large crystals. Pegmatites also create great conditions for alteration zones that encourage secondary enrichment mineralization like deposits of zinc, lead, copper, silver and gold.

Around here the phrase "dike swarm" creates a lot of excitement that has nothing to do with the goings on in San Francisco. The area we are looking at is surrounded by dikes, sills and dike swarms. Prospectors paradise for those who can decipher the riddles of these complex interactive mineral deposits.

Rather than looking to a geology map to discover where these treasures are studying the mineral deposits and the conditions that create them will give you a much better understanding of just where that treasure might be.

You are on the right track. Keep looking at the specifics until a bigger picture forms. You might find yourself kicking a 10 pound tourmaline crystal out of the way to get to the gold nuggets underneath as so many have here done. Keep looking the treasure is there.

kcm I tried to give you links to make your research bandwidth lighter. I hope that helps you play the game with the rest of us.

Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Apr 20, 2016 at 01:37 AM.
    Nitric, rodoconnor, russau and 1 others like this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7092 times
    Thanks CD - been doing lots of extra research this month, not to mention looking up parts for the truck, plus the Verizon box on the fritz! They sent a new box out, but haven't been able to get to the mailbox until today - too much flooding.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11019 times
    Prospecting
    Back in the late 90's I spent some time consulting at a lithium processing facility in western NC. It was on the site of a spodumene mine. They were no longer digging there but I did get a nice sample of the ore.

My point? There's lithium ore in its most collectible form within hours of where you live and it may be closer too
    Nitric and Clay Diggins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6193 times
    Thank you!!! If anything else I'm learning a lot. I know very little about geology. It gets a little overwhelming just jumping in. Then I got stuck on the salt sodium Idea and couldn't get it out of my mind.

The beryl, I get some idea, we went to a mine in Lagrange Ga, and dug Beryl, black tourmaline, rose quartz, star quartz and others all from one small mine. We found a little aqua marine digging in an old dump pile. and this area where I live was known for corundum mines not to far a way. I also believe there were mines that are not listed or documented. But, I'm way off topic....

what I'm getting at is that I'm trying to put some kind of visual to something that I have seen.

Thanks Clay! I was really lost and just going with whatever, hoping to to be able to connect something. I couldn't get the salt deposits out of my mind. And kept thinking salt!

Either way this is fun!
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6193 times
    Bump....

Had to find and bring this back to the top so I could find it easier...
    Last edited by Nitric; Aug 10, 2016 at 10:54 PM.

Apr 2013
    197 times
    Clay - I know the area of San Domingo you are talking about but I also read the overburden was 20-30ft deep in that area. One wash I never located in sure u know which one I'm talking about I would really like to pinpoint. I will send you a msg

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11272 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamlineGold View Post
    Clay - I know the area of San Domingo you are talking about but I also read the overburden was 20-30ft deep in that area. One wash I never located in sure u know which one I'm talking about I would really like to pinpoint. I will send you a msg
    The deepest overburden on the Little San Domingo wash is 16 foot right at the mouth on the Hassayampa river. The wash was sample drilled along it's length in 1962. Gold values are more than double west of the highway.

Old Woman has been hit pretty hard over the years but it still has surprises. It's not where most people assume it is.

I'll have more on that area soon.

Heavy Pans
    Nitric and SandomingoJim like this.

May 2013
    Surprise, AZ
    TDI SL Whites GMT GB2
    48 times
    Prospecting
    Ah yes, the Old Woman wash. I am a relative newcomer to the area of interest and have speculated many times on the location of the Old Woman based on the old descriptions of activities in San Domingo area. That and the somewhat mysterious location (at least to me) of the old Lotowana workings. I will be looking forward to "more".

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11272 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye39 View Post
    Ah yes, the Old Woman wash. I am a relative newcomer to the area of interest and have speculated many times on the location of the Old Woman based on the old descriptions of activities in San Domingo area. That and the somewhat mysterious location (at least to me) of the old Lotowana workings. I will be looking forward to "more".
    The Lotawana was not a single location. A guy by the name of S.E. Sanger made a bunch of claims by the name "Wana" in 1909. Those became locally known as the "Lot of Wanas" claims so Sanger made more claims called the Lotawana 1, Lotawana 2 etc. There were others known as the Golden Goose, Golden egg etc. Those were the first Lotawanas and the ones that started the legends. Very productive claims. A bit of research at the Maricopa County Recorder's office will show you where those were located. Not where the local legends tell you but I gave a hint in this thread as to their true location.

Later, in 1961, United Placer Industries had a dryland dredge built to mine some big acreage in the San Domingo district. That custom made dredge was named the "Geraldine" after the president of United Placer Industries Geraldine Freund. United Placer Industries had about 25,000 acres of claims in that region.

Much ado was made in the press about how the new Geraldine dredge was going to mine the Lotawana placers. It was good publicity because the Lotawana claims were famous for their past productivity. The actual mining was done near the Little San Domingo wash pretty far from the original Lotawanas. You can still see the effects of that huge dredge today. Several of the "hills" in that area are actually very large tailing piles.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6193 times
    Ok I'm trying to study some of this stuff...I ran into two problems...Kind of don't want to admit it...But hey? How else am I going to learn!

One minor problem is the standing on my head! To read that claim map!! seriously though! One problem I'm having is..If I wanted to match that claim map up with the ground? What numbers on that claim map, would give me locations? Say..on google earth or the map posted at the beginning from Land Matters? There are so many "resources" I don't know how to use yet.

I don't expect anyone to explain it all here...Just give me a direction, or subject...I'm kind of dumb to all of this......So, I'm trying to grab a little here and there...

The north west side of the wash, about center of map, about a a half inch down from the top, inch to the left of Land Matters... of your map looks interesting. There is a dark circle with what looks like white out crops or lighter material around the circumference(if that make any sense at all!)...Just looks odd for the area..Whether man made or not...I would have to check that out if I was there.. I tried to get a screen shot and post it here, but I can't figure out how to do that yet. This computer and I are fighting lately! Could that have been a thermal vent(?) Or a.........Dike(?) Something that was extruded and pushed straight up...Like was mentioned in the swarm dikes link...
    Last edited by Nitric; Aug 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7092 times
    You can do a web search for, "How to read a topo map" and you'll get LOTS of links to good information. As I don't know what questions you have, I can't be of much more help. Likewise, how can you have a question about some parts that you don't even know about yet?

Another web search that would be quite valuable to go along with this is, "How to read map coordinates". Nat Geo has a basic map & GPS skills document in .pdf format at:
    http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/d...ls_Booklet.pdf

Another good map-reading site is:
    Compass - how to use one
    Nitric and russau like this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kcm View Post
    You can do a web search for, "How to read a topo map" and you'll get LOTS of links to good information. As I don't know what questions you have, I can't be of much more help. Likewise, how can you have a question about some parts that you don't even know about yet?

Another web search that would be quite valuable to go along with this is, "How to read map coordinates". Nat Geo has a basic map & GPS skills document in .pdf format at:
    http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/d...ls_Booklet.pdf

Another good map-reading site is:
    Compass - how to use one
    Thank you!! KCM....I was having a moment last night! Think I just needed some Manpons! seemed like whatever I tried to do I was running into walls...I had the motivation! Just couldn't get the brain and computer to work together! There is so much I want to learn and know...And just kind of wandering....

I have to learn how to read some of these maps...Then be able to get them to overlay or work together...I'll study your links later today..Thanks again!!

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4741 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    Thank you!! KCM....I was having a moment last night! Think I just needed some Manpons! seemed like whatever I tried to do I was running into walls...I had the motivation! Just couldn't get the brain and computer to work together! There is so much I want to learn and know...And just kind of wandering....

I have to learn how to read some of these maps...Then be able to get them to overlay or work together...I'll study your links later today..Thanks again!!
    Jason when the computer starts acting up , I always just yell at it real loud and it starts doing what I want it to do ! it works for me MOST of the time!
    Nitric likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links