Tell me about the minerals - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Tell me about the minerals

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Sep 2005
    Paso Robles
    Teknetics G2
    294 times
    Clay, this probably doesn't mean anything, I don't know anything about Lithium or Spodumene or Lepidolite. I got a old assay I was looking at this morning and amongst all of the mineral/metals listed I noticed it reported Lithium at 6.2 pounds a ton....it's from another Ledge I found, I was only interested in it for gold & silver and maybe platinums, turns out there is No Platinums and the gold & silver is slim pickens or probably minuscule detected. It was a expensive assay (spectrographic)....Disgusted I just went along my way prospecting some more....however, it is very close to my new find....should I pay more attention to this or not ? Darrell
    Reed Lukens likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11290 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTrails55 View Post
    Clay, this probably doesn't mean anything, I don't know anything about Lithium or Spodumene or Lepidolite. I got a old assay I was looking at this morning and amongst all of the mineral/metals listed I noticed it reported Lithium at 6.2 pounds a ton....it's from another Ledge I found, I was only interested in it for gold & silver and maybe platinums, turns out there is No Platinums and the gold & silver is slim pickens or probably minuscule detected. It was a expensive assay (spectrographic)....Disgusted I just went along my way prospecting some more....however, it is very close to my new find....should I pay more attention to this or not ? Darrell
    Lithium, when I started this thread in 2016, was just starting to break out in price. Two years later (2018) it topped out at about $170,000 a finished ton. That was the Lithium play. You are about three years too late.

It's been all downhill ever since 2018 and today it's down to about $39,000 a finished ton - less than a quarter the 2018 price. That's proven to be unprofitable for a hardrock mine. Lithium brine salts in the high deserts of Chile are still profitable but the demand is so low now even those deposits are over productive for the market - prices are still going lower.

The expense of drilling and proving hardrock lithium rich pegmatite pods has bankrupted several exploration companies over the last few years. It's not a time to go chasing Lithium hardrock deposits no matter how much lithium they contain.

Much like toilet paper, masks and pet rocks different minerals have different values over time. Gold that was unprofitable to mine at $450 an ounce is now profitable. This same principle of cost/benefit applies even more to industrial minerals. The savvy prospector anticipates market movements and keeps notes about deposits they have found that may have value in the future. For the foreseeable future Lithium is not going to be profitable. Maybe the next thing will be graphite or mercury?

Heavy Pans

ca
    Sep 2005
    Paso Robles
    Teknetics G2
    294 times
    Thank You !
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links