Water containers

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ever wonder what to use to hand carry or back pack 5 or more gallons of water to your remote areas to run recirculating devices? I have/had that problem for a site about a mile or so from where I park my truck. I shopped around and the best and most suitable one for back packing I could find at the time was this one so I found a local store that stocks them and just got home from buying one. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-BPA-2dFree-Gallon-Storage-Container/dp/B00COE8H3C. After I got home I did some more online research and stumbled on this one that never showed up in my original searches. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...2&ie=UTF-8#q=scepter military water container. This one is military grade and made by the same company that supplies them to our troops. Maybe durability is the reason for it being over twice the price of the Rhino Pak though it too got mostly good reviews. If my new one cracks or whatever the military grade Scepter will be on my shopping list.

Heavy pans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. I figured out a way to greatly lighten my load and still achieve acceptable results which, for me, is to produce water processed concentrates in an otherwise dry, remote, hike in only location. I bought a 24" diameter round laundry basket and cut it down to about 7" tall to use for my panning tub. Since it probably has less than half the surface area of a black abs mortar tub it takes less water (about 2 1/2 gal.)* to fill it to panning depth still leaving about 3 or so inches of freeboard so the water doesn't slosh out too much while panning. That cut the minimum water weight requirement to about 20 pounds. What a relief.:icon_thumright: If the tub is tilted then the depth on one side increases so even less water is required. The drawback to that (not me but maybe others) is that I then pan backwards or towards me. Actually that is a pretty comfortable way to pan if you are sitting on the ground with your legs straddling the tub. That actually is a method I was taught by a ranchhand in an area I was prospecting at the time. I was carrying water cross country at that time too (more than 40 years ago) but I had no catch basin so I would run out of water in about an hour. Now, being able to conserve water, I should be able to pan for much longer or all day.

*This creates a whole new problem since, when only half filling the container (mine is 5 gal. cap.), the water will continually shift and unbalance my load while I am hiking. I will address that issue later if it is a major problem.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about buying a mule lol, they are cheap to maintain if there is something for it to eat in the area, then you could just strap a bunch of equipment and water to the mule, it would be a blast from the past... Mules are probably against regulations now tho:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions